Microsoft Office XP Professional Upgrade will not start Installer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Have a problem that is frustrating me greatly.   I'm not sure it's a validation problem, but this is where I was directed.   I'm running Windows XP Professional SP2 on a Dual Core Athlon 2.7 ghz machine, flawlessly for a year.  It was running slower and slower, so I was recomended to get RegCure, a registry cleaning program.   It speed things up a lot, but I lost the use of Office XP.

When I ran RegCure, my Office toolbar disappeared.   I would get a message I needed to repair Office, from the original CD.   No problem, I popped in the original CD.   But instead of starting the Installer program, it would list all the files on the CD like I'd started Windows Explorer.    If I double click on the start file AUTRUN.INF on the CD, I get a list of the run lines in the file.   If I double click on Setup, I get an error message with a Windows Installer header, stating, This patch package could not be opened.  Verify tht the patch package exists, and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package.   Well this is a Microsoft program, so they wrote the installer.   I've tried updating the Microsoft Installer from the Microsoft site.   That changes nothing.   I can drop the Office XP CD into another machine, and it auto-starts OK.   I can drop other programs into the CD drive, and they will auto-start the Installer OK.

I don't know if there is anything I can do besides clean the HD off, and start reloading all 300Gb of stuff from the start.   Anyone able to help?

Thank you. 

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 10:34 PM

Answers