Can Tune-up be run through Vista task scheduler? RRS feed

• Question

• I use sleep on all my machines at night.  AFAIK, Tune-up is incapable of waking the computer, running its processes, and then returning the machine to sleep.  However, Vista's task scheduler does have this capability....I'm just not sure what script I have to run to start the Tune-up utility.

Also, if I set Tune-up and Backup to run at the same time on the same day, will they run simultaneously or one after the other?  Thanks.
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 2:41 PM

Answers

• You can't schedule Tune-up via the task scheduler, but OneCare should be able to wake the PC from sleep, although it may not work on all PCs.

Backup wont run until Tune-up is complete and can be scheduled to run with Tune-up.

-steve

Sunday, January 13, 2008 8:56 PM

All replies

• You can't schedule Tune-up via the task scheduler, but OneCare should be able to wake the PC from sleep, although it may not work on all PCs.

Backup wont run until Tune-up is complete and can be scheduled to run with Tune-up.

-steve

Sunday, January 13, 2008 8:56 PM
  • Thanks Steve....unfortunately, OneCare does not wake up either of my PCs (a DIY nForce4 rig and a Dell laptop) to perform Tune-up.  I have verified that Task Scheduler does, so perhaps I can use it to ensure that the PC is on when Tune-up is scheduled to run.
    Monday, January 14, 2008 3:31 AM
  • That would be a reasonable workaround. I wonder if waking from sleep to do Tune-up is specific to certain machines - I have no experience with this.

-steve

Monday, January 14, 2008 7:39 PM
  • I use a workaround for this.

In Task Scheduler I have scheduled Live OneCare to start. Just 10 minutes before tune up begins. Then the task scheduler opens just the window screen of Live OneCare. And Tune up starts at its own time.

You can just take any program in the task scheduler for example Freecell.

Afterwards Windows goes in hibernation automatically through Energy options.

Jan

Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:54 PM
  • Thanks, Jan. That does sound like a good workaround.

-steve

Thursday, January 17, 2008 6:38 PM