Advice requested on new Motherboard, CPU and RAM advice for WHS upgrade. RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

I currently have a WHS server running with

Giga-Byte GA-M61P-S3
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
    1GB 400Mhz RAM
    1 x 1.5TB Samsung HDD
    3 x 1TB Samsung HDD

However I experience issues where every ~6 months or so the server hangs and then blue screens on re-boot. From this position it appears to be impossible to recover the WHS without a full rebuild. Anyone who has ever done this knows what a pain this is, the time it takes to move this amount of data off the discs and into the new drive pool...

In my experience, blue screen issues are generally hardware related so I have decided to replace the MB, CPU and RAM (for the sake of £150 to solve these problems). Also it would allow me to get a MB with more SATA ports so that I could add some more HDD.

Please can somebody recommend a modern (currently available) Motherboard with 8 SATA ports preferably from a big name manufacturer that they have had good experiences with when using WHS?

I want to put a reasonable CPU and 4GB RAM into the system as I am considering running a virtual machine on the WHS as well, which would mean I can ditch another old PC in my house and use less electricity overall. If this is really not recommended, I won't go with this idea.

Thanks in advance.
    • Changed type kariya21Moderator Friday, February 26, 2010 12:14 AM not a technical question
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 12:35 PM

All replies

• What STOP code do you see with your blue screen?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 3:20 PM
  • Ken, thanks for your note, I really should have taken a note of it and now can't remember it (204 maybe? - but that's not really much help is it!). I've since rebuilt the WHS - which is like my 4th time in ~18 months of owning it! Apart from the blue scree issue, WHS rocks - so keen to get onto some stable hardware!
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 3:58 PM
  • If you get the time run an extensive memory test using memtest86  -  you might find your memory is playing up, you might get away with downclocking your memory to 333MHz instead of 400Mhz.
    --
    Friday, February 26, 2010 2:14 AM
  • Those parts you already have look pretty good. I would run a long overnight memtest at rated speed and check temps on everything to make sure nothing is overheating including hdd's. If you discover a ram issue, replace it. If you dont get memory errors but but are still skeptical, replace the motherboard and reuse the cpu as its plenty fast enough.
    Friday, February 26, 2010 11:35 PM