none
How To make this a Wiki?

Question

• . Why does my Table of Contents look a mess?

In this example, the TOC entries are all in red and there’s a change bar to the right of the TOC. There’s also a deleted TOC below the inserted TOC. How did it get like this? You had Track Changes turned on when you updated the TOC.

To fix it, turn off Track Changes (Review tab), then update the TOC again (see below for how).

That’s it! Super easy with an immediate reduction in stress related to things going wrong with your document just before your deadline ;-)

2. Why aren’t the things I’ve added, changed or deleted reflected in the TOC/LOT/LOF?

The second issue relates to why the new tables/figures, sections etc. that you’ve added to the document aren’t appearing in the TOC/LOT/LOF, or why your changes or deletions aren’t reflected in the TOC/LOT/LOF. Typically, the reason is that you’ve forgotten to update the TOC/LOT/LOF – these lists don’t update automatically. There are several ways you can update these lists, but the safest way that seems to work properly every time, is to use the ‘Update Table’ buttons on the References tab in Word.

To update a TOC:

1. Turn off Track Changes.
    2. Click anywhere inside the TOC.
    3. Go to the References tab.
    4. Go to the far left of that tab, and click the Update Table button in theTable of Contents group.
    5. If asked, select the option to Update entire table and click OK.

To update a LOT:

1. Turn off Track Changes.
    2. Click anywhere inside the List of Tables.
    3. Go to the References tab.
    4. Go to the middle of that tab, and click the Update Table button in theCaptions group.
    5. If asked, select the option to Update entire table and click OK.

To update a LOF: Same procedure as for updating a LOT, but for step 2, you click anywhere inside the List of Figures first.

3. Why aren’t all my tables/figures listed even though I’ve updated the lists using the methods above?

This issue invariably relates to Track Changes. If you’ve inserted or deleted a table or figure, then it’s possible that the table or figure caption won’t get listed in the LOT/LOF. Dealing with the table/figure Track Changes by accepting/rejecting them usually sorts this out. After accepting/rejecting the change, update the LOT/LOF and all should be well again. I haven’t found any other way of solving this one.

4. I get an ‘Error! Reference not found’ message in the TOC/LOT/LOF instead of a page number.

I’m not sure what causes this, but turning off Track Changes and updating the TOC/LOT/LOF should fix it.

Friday, June 10, 2016 4:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• How To Fix Table Of Contents

Friday, June 10, 2016 4:10 PM
  • This forum is for questions and discussions about the TechNet Wiki. Although the Wiki platform supports an automatic TOC generator, your discussion (which is not a question as far as I can tell) is about the TOC in some other product, possibly Word. As this is off topic here, I will move it to a more appropriate forum.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Friday, June 10, 2016 5:57 PM
  • I may be wrong, but it looks to me like the OP was thinking hew was creating a wiki article.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Friday, June 10, 2016 9:55 PM
  • You may be right Karl. Andy, if that was your intent, here is the TechNet Wiki home page:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/

There is a link at the top right for "Post an article". There you can post a new TechNet Wiki article.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Friday, June 10, 2016 10:13 PM