Strategy to upgrade SyncToy 2.0 to 2.1 when some destination drives are off-site RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to upgrade from ST 2.0 to 2.1, but the upgrade procedure says you're suppose to follow the standard three steps shown below.  Steps 1 & 3 are difficult for me because I always have some backup drives at two off-site locations, so I can't run EVERY folder pair as instructed in steps 1 & 3.

STANDARD 3-STEP UPGRADE PROCEDURE

1. Run EVERY folder pair using ST 2.0
    2. Download and install ST 2.1  (which also uninstalls 2.0)
    3. Run EVERY folder pair using ST 2.1

I'm guessing I'll have to follow a modified procedure along the lines of what I've outlined below, but would appreciate feedback.

MODIFIED UPGRADE PROCEDURE

1. Delete all the folder pairs for which I do not have drives on site
    2. Using ST 2.0, run all the folder pairs for which I do have drives on site
    3. Upgrade SyncToy 2.0 to 2.1
    4. Using ST 2.1, run all the folder pairs for which I do have drives on site
    5. When I get an off-site drive back on-site, delete the SyncToy 2.0 .dat files on that drive that are associated with the folder pairs I deleted in step 1
    6. Create new folder pairs for this drive to replace those deleted in step 1
    7. Run the new folder pairs for the drive

I appreciate SyncToy and use it a lot.  But if a person has folder pairs set up for several destination drives, I find the upgrade procedure very cumbersome, inconvenient, and time-consuming.  Having off-site backups complicates the upgrade process considerably and increases the odds of making mistakes that could affect the integrity of the backups.  :-(

Again, any feedback on my modified upgrade procedure will be appreciated.

Rick
    Monday, August 1, 2011 6:50 PM