Server Migration RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using WHS in an old PC.  I want to build a new server, and install WHS on it.  2 of the 4 hard drives in the old server are destined for the new server (not moving is the system c/d partition).

Questions:
    1. Can both WHS systems coexist for a period of time on the same network?  Will I be violating my license?
    2. Can drives with data be added to a WHS server without being reformatted?

Maybe a related question...
    If the main HD on my WHS server fails, is there a way to rebuild it simply?  It seems all of the techniques described on the net involve reinstalling and copying the data over again.  The issue I see with this is that with file duplication, I would have every file twice spread over the data hard drives.  In that case, you can't just bulk copy the whole directory because it keep prompting you to replace files.

Thanks,

Greg
    Friday, February 6, 2009 3:49 AM

Answers

• Centeya said:

So you could, theoretically, put all the data drives in a new machine, and do a 'reinstall' on a fresh drive?  That is how you could do a server migration?

Yep, it should be possible.  The main thing to remember is to make sure that the primary drive must be connected to port 0 on the mobo (so WHS will see it as the first hard drive).  Just verify on the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen that all of the hard drives are visible.  After that, it should work.  (Worst case scenario is you don't get the Server Reinstallation option, in which case you just cancel out.)
    • Edited by kariya21Moderator Friday, February 6, 2009 4:38 AM more info
    • Marked as answer by Centeya Friday, February 6, 2009 5:24 AM
    Friday, February 6, 2009 4:36 AM

All replies

• Centeya said:

I'm using WHS in an old PC.  I want to build a new server, and install WHS on it.  2 of the 4 hard drives in the old server are destined for the new server (not moving is the system c/d partition).

Questions:
    1. Can both WHS systems coexist for a period of time on the same network?

Yes.

Centeya said:

Will I be violating my license?

As long as you don't have both of them activated at the same time, no.  (You can run WHS for 30 days without activating.)

Centeya said:

2. Can drives with data be added to a WHS server without being reformatted?

No.

Centeya said:

Maybe a related question...
    If the main HD on my WHS server fails, is there a way to rebuild it simply?  It seems all of the techniques described on the net involve reinstalling and copying the data over again.  The issue I see with this is that with file duplication, I would have every file twice spread over the data hard drives.  In that case, you can't just bulk copy the whole directory because it keep prompting you to replace files.

Thanks,

Greg

If your primary hard drive fails, you would perform a Server Reinstallation (a special install mode that wipes the OS partition, but leaves everything else alone).  All you have to do after the reinstallation is re-create users and re-install add-ins.

Friday, February 6, 2009 3:58 AM
  • If you lose your main drive, don't you lose all of the tombstones?   When you do the reinstall, are those recovered?
    Friday, February 6, 2009 4:08 AM
  • Centeya said:

If you lose your main drive, don't you lose all of the tombstones?

Yes.

Centeya said:

When you do the reinstall, are those recovered?

Yep.  WHS automatically goes through all of your secondary drives and recreates the necessary tombstones on the primary drive.
    Friday, February 6, 2009 4:15 AM
  • So you could, theoretically, put all the data drives in a new machine, and do a 'reinstall' on a fresh drive?  That is how you could do a server migration?
    Friday, February 6, 2009 4:27 AM
  • Centeya said:

So you could, theoretically, put all the data drives in a new machine, and do a 'reinstall' on a fresh drive?  That is how you could do a server migration?

Yep, it should be possible.  The main thing to remember is to make sure that the primary drive must be connected to port 0 on the mobo (so WHS will see it as the first hard drive).  Just verify on the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen that all of the hard drives are visible.  After that, it should work.  (Worst case scenario is you don't get the Server Reinstallation option, in which case you just cancel out.)
    • Edited by kariya21Moderator Friday, February 6, 2009 4:38 AM more info
    • Marked as answer by Centeya Friday, February 6, 2009 5:24 AM
    Friday, February 6, 2009 4:36 AM