Harddrive failure or db corruption problem RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS just started acting wonky.  The backup service will not stay running and I get messages like these in the "Home Network Health"  window.

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable   thumbs.db

I have three 1 T drives (its the Acer WHS)

2 are for backing up computers

1 was for backing up the backups using WHS BDBB (but unfortunately I havn't done it since october of 2011)

I have tried running chkdsk on all drives and nothing turned up

What are my options?

I can go grab another 1T drive since there is one more slot if that helps, but I cant seem to do repair, or cleanup etc because the backup service keeps turning itself off.

The event log is full of errors as well

Examples:

The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:\fs\U.

Help :)

Process homeserverconsole failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp3\qhs\src\backup\util\diskfile.cpp(449).

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:25 AM

All replies

• Have you run chkdsk as the event log entries have recommended? This FAQ may help you there. Since you probably have a failing HDD, this FAQ and this one may also be useful. You'll need to get the failing drive out of your storage pool and replace it with another; you can try removing it using the functionality in the console to force Windows Home Server to move all daqta off the drive, but that may fail. If it does, you'll need to shut your server down, physically remove the drive, then remove the "missing" drive from server storage. And you'll definitely need the second and third links I posted above.

However, even after running chkdsk your backup database is probably not going to be usable, due to the drive problems you're obviously having. So after running chkdsk, you can try repairing the backup database using the functionality in the console. If that fails, you'll probably have to delete the backup database and start over from scratch.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 11:34 AM
  • Thanks Ken!  Here is an update.

Ran chkdsk myself on all drives - found nothing

I made batch file from Ken's FAQ and ran it. Now backup service is running reliably! (I did not see the output of running this.. I think a reboot happened before I checked.)

**Still cannot back up the backupdb.  I get an error when I try to copy it.  Also I cannot get through a "clean up".  "Repair" works fine.

**Computers in my home are getting backed up regularly again!

**The one computer backup I am saving that I cannot get back easily(mother in laws) I was able to access and copy everything out of it that I think she will care about.

**all other backups I dont care about since computers are still up and I can back them up again

My assumption now is that I do not have a harddrive failure but the db was corrupt.  Is this a bad assumption?

I want to reset the homeserver and maybe do it a bit smarter.  I am thinking I will turn on "duplication" in BDBB.  I am thinking I should make all 4 drives part of "storage" and enable these features.

My config is this:

1 TB drive -> Storage

1 TB drive -> storage

1 TB drive -> back up bbdb drive -> my backupdb was 1.5 tb so it didn't fit on this anyway

Bought a new 1 TB drive because I was thinking I had a drive failure.

Any recomendations?

and thanks again Ken.

Sunday, July 15, 2012 1:22 AM
  • Sorry just to be clear.. this is what I think ill do next

Stop service.. nuke the db.. restart services

Add all 4 drives to "storage"  Is there a good way to wipe them and check their integrity?

Add all my computers back with connector

Turn on duplication in DBBB

sound right?

Sunday, July 15, 2012 2:01 AM
  • I have a similar issue. 

I rebuilt the server about a month ago because of db corruption that the "fix db" tool in the console was unable to repair.  Its been working fine since then, but on the 7th of this month it began throwing an error again.  I have tried the "fix db" tool twice in the last 24 hours and neither has actually repaired the db.  I am currently running a chkdsk on the drive (something I didnt try before) to see if that can repair the problems. 

I have no problem "nuking" the db, all of my systems are otherwise running perfectly, but finding it might be a problem for me since I have no idea where the backup db is stored or how to get to it.

Ron

Sunday, July 15, 2012 5:19 PM
  • I finished a chkdsk this morning and there were no errors.  I am sill unable to get the system to do any backups. 

I have a single 3tb drive connected for storage (2.1tb actually configured because or drive size limitations in WHS).  Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Ron

Monday, July 16, 2012 3:20 PM
  • I finished a chkdsk this morning and there were no errors.  I am sill unable to get the system to do any backups. 

I have a single 3tb drive connected for storage (2.1tb actually configured because or drive size limitations in WHS).  Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Ron

I finally ended up deleting the entire backup database and doing a manual backup on all connected systems.  Worked great, but I get the feeling that I am gong to be doing this all again in another 2 months. 

Ron

Sunday, July 29, 2012 4:08 PM