Cannot change drive for backup RRS feed

• Question

• I just upgraded from XP to Windows 7 and cannot continue with my backups to the server.  Looks like it wants to backup to the C drive.  Help.  I had a computer guy come out and he could not fix the problem.  Thanks!
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:05 PM

Answers

• I can't help with that - do you have a non-pooled drive you can use the Dashboard to move the Client backups to? I would still check System Reserved and/or re-install the Connector. Was this a clean W7 install or an upgrade? If the former, you must have already re-installed the Connector.

Also read this thread: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/22e5de24-aa6e-47f1-823a-e31a6701f4a7/backup-failscomputer-has-insufficient-storage?forum=whs2011

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Thursday, May 8, 2014 4:38 PM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:17 AM

All replies

• You will need to provide more information than that! Have you successfully installed the Connector on your W7 machine? Is it a new machine or did you just upgrade XP on the same PC? Is it a UEFI installation? What makes you think that it wants to backup to C:?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:23 PM
  • Hi Phil --

Sorry ... 'when I started up my computer, after upgrading the Windows 7, my computer automatically connected with the server.  I am using the same computer as I had before.  I have no idea what a UEFI installation is.  

I get an error message saying there is no room on the C drive -- that's where I came to the conclusion that it wants to backup to the C drive.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:35 PM
  • If it's not a new machine don't worry about UEFI!! When you say it "connected to the server" do you mean shared folders were available or that the Launchpad connected?

Can you open the Windows Home Server 2011 Dashboard? If you can, select the "Server Folders and Hard Drives" tab and then "Server Folders". There you should be able to see where your Client Machine is being backed up to - the "Location" of "Client Computer Backups" - there is no reason why that should have changed from the original, but worth checking.

Which machine is generating the error message?

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:44 PM
  • I appreciate your help, Phil.  I just opened the dashboard and the file shows it's going to the I drive, which has 3907 GB free.  It shows that it's pooled.  However, when I try to do a manual backup, I get an error message saying there's not enough space!  My original computer guy had my files backing up to the "D" drive -- meanwhile, I had two 2.0 TB drives!  My new computer guy can't figure out what's wrong.
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:51 PM
  • The new computer guy added the D drive to the pool.  The D drive has 405 GB.
    • Edited by Misssssy Tuesday, April 22, 2014 11:57 PM
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 11:12 PM
  • When I click on manual backup it says, "Backup cannot save a snapshot of the volumes on this computer because the computer does not have enough storage space."
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 11:56 PM
  • WHS2011 does not "Pool" drives so you must be using some other software? Do you have other PCs which still back up successfully? I wolud try removing the Connector and re-installing. Not sure how upgrading XP to W7 would cause this problem!

How much space do you have on the Client "System Reserved" partition?

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:03 AM
  • I do have WHS 2011 - there is also bitpool software.  I read, another thread where someone mentions storage pools.  I do not back up any other PCs to this server.
    • Edited by Misssssy Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:17 AM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:11 AM
  • I can't help with that - do you have a non-pooled drive you can use the Dashboard to move the Client backups to? I would still check System Reserved and/or re-install the Connector. Was this a clean W7 install or an upgrade? If the former, you must have already re-installed the Connector.

Also read this thread: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/22e5de24-aa6e-47f1-823a-e31a6701f4a7/backup-failscomputer-has-insufficient-storage?forum=whs2011

• Edited by Phil Harrison Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Thursday, May 8, 2014 4:38 PM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:17 AM