Any recommendations on how to troubleshoot this reboot problem? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been running WHS for a few months now without issue.  Sometime last night it went into a reboot loop.  This server successfully rebooted after a power outage a few days ago.  However, now, it boots up and gets to the CTRL-ALT-DEL to login screen, then after a minute or so, it reboots.  Does this in safe mode as well.  I haven't found any error logs to indicate why.  The weird part is that if I log in immediately after I get the prompt, it won't reboot and it runs fine.  Chkdsk runs without error.   My other PCs rebooted last night due to updates, not sure if we had an update for WHS that may have started this problem. Am running AVAST antivirus on it so I doubt a virus is behind it.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions on how to troubleshoot it, I'd be glad to hear them.

-T
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:27 AM

Answers

• I did actually figure this out.  I had loaded an add-in a few weeks earlier.  I don't remember which one, but it had to do with getting email notifications when events occurred.  I removed it and all was well.  And also of interest, I did have an issue where the server wouldn't boot because I had a USB drive attached.  This was also corrected by turning a setting off in the bios.  The setting was something like "Allow boot from USB device".    Thanks for the replies.
    • Marked as answer by thecornercube Thursday, February 12, 2009 12:32 PM
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 12:32 PM

All replies

• First troubleshooting step in such cases (especially if it runs stable after logon) would be to check the event log for related errors, warnings, informations.
    After you found that there is nothing wrong with a certain hardware component, a server reinstall followed by running all Windows Updates from the console until you dont get any new is the recommended method, assumed the event log don't give you enough information to fix the issue.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:59 AM
  • You may also want to make sure that your RAM, video card or anything else that is connected to the motherboard is properly seated. I have seen this cause reboot problems before. Also double check any cables to make sure that they are plug in all the way.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:31 PM
  • I did actually figure this out.  I had loaded an add-in a few weeks earlier.  I don't remember which one, but it had to do with getting email notifications when events occurred.  I removed it and all was well.  And also of interest, I did have an issue where the server wouldn't boot because I had a USB drive attached.  This was also corrected by turning a setting off in the bios.  The setting was something like "Allow boot from USB device".    Thanks for the replies.
    • Marked as answer by thecornercube Thursday, February 12, 2009 12:32 PM
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 12:32 PM