OneCare couldn't start the backup service RRS feed

• General discussion

• When I press the "configure backup" hypertext, I get the error message: "Windows OneCare has encountered an error and will close"  However, it doesn't close, and I get the error message listed in the Subject line above: "OneCare couldn't start the backup service  This may indicate a problem that puts this PC's files at risk."  How can I fix this??????

Thursday, February 21, 2008 7:20 AM

All replies

• Can you click any other link within OneCare to change settings, open help, etc.?

-steve

Thursday, February 21, 2008 12:27 PM
  • Yes.  I did a new scan and a "check for updates."  The only thing that won't work (crashes) is "configure backup."  I have tried it both as a "stand alone," a "hub" or as a second computer with another as "hub."

Thursday, February 21, 2008 3:31 PM
  • P.S., the "help" button is worthless!  After pushing it, all it says is to go online to "search for answers on this question."  My "search for answers" led to this forum, but after 24 hours, it appears that no help is available here either!  Correct? 

Thursday, February 21, 2008 8:54 PM
  • Hi, Bill.

There is online Help and there is Support. And then there is the community forum, which is here. Help is searchable, but I'm pretty sure you won't find and answer in Help for why backup is failing for you. The reason I asked about other links was to see if there was a problem with all of OneCare or just the backup component.

And, I think you might be correct about no help for your problem here at the moment, because I don't have an answer for you. I will, however, refer you to support and hope that they can identify the cause of the problem, or someone else pops in with an answer here for you.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, February 22, 2008 1:57 AM
  • Thanks, Steve.  Can you at least give me the steps to uninstall OneCare.  I have the disk and can reinstall and this usually does the trick for wierd problems like this.  However, I looked up how to uninstall on the web, and it looks pretty difficult - have to go into registry and delete a bunch of stuff.  Isn't there an easier way?

Friday, February 22, 2008 2:27 AM
  • Sure thing - see this post http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=663806&SiteID=2 which explains the normal process and also contains a link to the cleanup utility. In the very worst case, there may be registry entries to remove, but if you run into this, Support is the way to go.

-steve

Friday, February 22, 2008 4:01 PM