Valid serial, but problems... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've just installed windows xp with an invalid serial that one of my friend gave me, because I did'nt have my windows xp's box with me (but only my cd) so I thought "I'll change my serial later..."

I tried to change it, I don't know if it works, but I'm not able to download updates now..

I tried a lot of stuff to change it, it seems to have worked (I followed the instructions on the microsoft guide to change the serial)

This serial is valid, cause I already used it some weeks ago.... I just don't know what to do...

I also heard that 30% of the valid serials doesn't works with WGA, even if they're really valid... maybe it's my case....

If someone could help me, it would be nice!!!

Thanks a lot!

Sunday, May 21, 2006 2:22 AM

Answers

All replies

• Reformat your drive and reinstall Winndows XP using "your" genuine Windows XP CD and "your" genuine Product key.

Clean Install Windows XP http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html  

Sunday, May 21, 2006 2:49 AM
  • I'm sure that there's other solution...

I don't want to reformat I have a 250Gig harddrive, and it's a pain to format.

I've installed windows xp with my real cd, just not with the good serial.
    When I bought my CD, windows genuine wasn't existing, maybe that's the cause of this malfunctionnement?

It would be really pleasant if you could find an other way to help me.

Thanks.

Sunday, May 21, 2006 3:46 AM
    Sunday, May 21, 2006 1:48 PM