undeliverable email RRS feed

• General discussion

• I get lots of emails saying undeliverable. I never sent any of these emails.They are going through as I have friends phoning me to tell me they are getting inappropriate email from me. They know it is not from me. My live one care says I am fine. I can forward one of these returned emails if it would help. Thanks in advance. Gerri davis
    • Changed type JimR1Moderator Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:39 PM
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:41 PM Off topic. Not a One Care question. (From:Windows Live OneCare Anti-Virus)
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 9:46 PM

All replies

• If you are using Hotmail you can get help here - http://www.windowslivehelp.com/product.aspx?productid=1

Jim

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:41 PM
  • If you are using a web-based email service, please change the password to a new, strong password, asap.

Because email is an insecure medium in which addresses are easily spoofed, it is quite possible that these messages originate from some other machine than your own.  Likely, a machine or machines infected with a virus which allows someone to control the machine and use it to send out such messages.

In this case, unless you can collect received messages and tie them back to the IP address of the sending machine, you are unlikely to be able to do anything about the situation--and setting up rules to get rid of the bounce messages as easily as possible is about what can be done.

If you can trace the IP address of the sending machine via the headers in successfully received messages, you may be able to find what ISP owns that address, and complain to them--and they may be able to help their customer get the virus cleaned up.

"gerrid" wrote in message news:107a816c-f186-4b02-af77-7fdccf6e732b@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I get lots of emails saying undeliverable. I never sent any of these emails.They are going through as I have friends phoning me to tell me they are getting inappropriate email from me. They know it is not from me. My live one care says I am fine. I can forward one of these returned emails if it would help. Thanks in advance. Gerri davis

Bill Sanderson
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 12:32 AM