External Users in CRM online RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I need to understand better what should a CRM Online customer do to give acess to some parts of his CRM solution, to its customers. I read that external users don't need to be licensed but how does it work ? They are configured as any other user in the user setup, or do we need to have a web app to connect to the data ? thanks in advance for your help!
    Sergio
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 11:11 AM

Answers

• There is a link to what Microsoft seems to define as an external user.

https://signin.crm.dynamics.com/portal/static/1033/tos.htm

This is taken from that site:

MICROSOFT DYNAMICS CRM ONLINE
    SERVICE AGREEMENT
    Last Updated: November 2011

2. LICENSE GRANT – WHAT CUSTOMER IS LICENSED TO USE

2.4 External Users. Customer does not need to purchase additional Users accounts for external users who access the Service without using any of the 
    software. “External users” means users that are not Customer, or its employees, Affiliates, contractors or agents.

I can't seem to find any other documentation on how to use this feature. There is past documentation on external connection licenses that are less expensive than a regular user license, but it refers to the on premises version.

Could someone from the Dynamics CRM team please clarify this?

This is an attractive feature in Sharepoint because it allows prospective clients to look at a solution on a read only basis and determine whether it fits their business need.

I know Dynamics CRM offers a 30-day trial, but that means that you really have to hustle to learn and develop your solution within 30 days. SugarCRM has a community version that you can work on without any time limits. Salesforce has a developer account that you can keep permanently and if you arrange for a portal subscription, you get 20 users to play around with. Great marketing tools for both these competitors.

Thanks for any info.

Ramon I. Novales

• Marked as answer by a_Romeo_ Friday, May 3, 2013 1:26 PM
    Sunday, July 15, 2012 12:59 PM

All replies

• What do you mean by "external user"? CRM does not have the notion of "external" users...

Gonzalo | gonzaloruizcrm.blogspot.com

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 1:12 PM
  • There is a link to what Microsoft seems to define as an external user.

https://signin.crm.dynamics.com/portal/static/1033/tos.htm

This is taken from that site:

MICROSOFT DYNAMICS CRM ONLINE
    SERVICE AGREEMENT
    Last Updated: November 2011

2. LICENSE GRANT – WHAT CUSTOMER IS LICENSED TO USE

2.4 External Users. Customer does not need to purchase additional Users accounts for external users who access the Service without using any of the 
    software. “External users” means users that are not Customer, or its employees, Affiliates, contractors or agents.

I can't seem to find any other documentation on how to use this feature. There is past documentation on external connection licenses that are less expensive than a regular user license, but it refers to the on premises version.

Could someone from the Dynamics CRM team please clarify this?

This is an attractive feature in Sharepoint because it allows prospective clients to look at a solution on a read only basis and determine whether it fits their business need.

I know Dynamics CRM offers a 30-day trial, but that means that you really have to hustle to learn and develop your solution within 30 days. SugarCRM has a community version that you can work on without any time limits. Salesforce has a developer account that you can keep permanently and if you arrange for a portal subscription, you get 20 users to play around with. Great marketing tools for both these competitors.

Thanks for any info.

Ramon I. Novales

• Marked as answer by a_Romeo_ Friday, May 3, 2013 1:26 PM
    Sunday, July 15, 2012 12:59 PM