Remote Desktop through live desktop crashes IE8 in Windows 7 beta? RRS feed

• Question

• I've seen this on both my machines that are running the Windows 7 beta. I can connect to the Live Mesh Live Desktop with IE8, connect to a remote machine, install the ActiveX control when prompted, but then the pop up window just sits there for a while then eventually I get another dialog telling me IE8 has crashed and offering to send Microsoft more info about the crash. This happens every time.

Are others seeing the same behavior?

Also, I don't use IE unless I have no other choice. Are we ever going to see a Live Mesh plugin/extension for Firefox so that we don't need to go to IE for remote desktop/drag and drop?

Thanks.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 10:47 PM

Answers

• OK, I've filed a bug report: https://connect.microsoft.com/LiveMesh/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=402126

As for courage... I'm still waiting for the Firefox Live Mesh plugins! ;) That way I don't need to mess with IE8 ever again. Of course I am running the Firefox 3.1 beta...
    Monday, January 19, 2009 8:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Margitte,

You're using Live Mesh Beta with a beta browser on a beta OS - I have to say I admire your courage! ;)

If you wouldn't mind, could you please go ahead and file a bug on this for us?  I know we have some bugs already concerning Live Mesh and IE8, as well as Live Mesh and Windows 7, but I'm not sure I've ever seen this full combination.  It would help us to have an official report of it.  If you have any questions, please let me know.  (Speaking of which, I'm afraid we do not yet have anything to announce concerning additions for Firefox - but we are committed to making Live Mesh fully functional in as many scenarios as possible.  Please feel free to add requests for anything you'd like to see to our Suggestions sticky.)

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, January 19, 2009 5:28 PM
  • OK, I've filed a bug report: https://connect.microsoft.com/LiveMesh/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=402126

As for courage... I'm still waiting for the Firefox Live Mesh plugins! ;) That way I don't need to mess with IE8 ever again. Of course I am running the Firefox 3.1 beta...
    Monday, January 19, 2009 8:31 PM
  • Thanks for the bug report.  I've marked your post as the answer so that others who visit this thread will choose to validate your bug if they're experiencing the problem, too.

Ben.
    Monday, January 19, 2009 10:17 PM
  • Two things seem to cause this crash.  The first is simple to solve.  Just right-click on the program exe and either select properties or troubleshoot compatibility.  What you want to do is run it under the Vista compatibility mode.  This will solve the crashing.

However, if you have Silverlight installed, Mesh and Silverlight do not seem to play well together.  Your performance will be terrible.  So uninstall Silverlight, and Mesh should run perfectly.

Oh, I forgot to mention, do NOT select run as an administrator.  This will make the UAC freak out, even if you have it turned off, and Mesh will refuse to launch with an error.

• Proposed as answer by Erythro42 Saturday, January 31, 2009 12:27 AM
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 12:25 AM
  • Hi,

Would you mind elaborating on this? I'm not sure which .exe you're referring to. Something related to Mesh or something related to IE8? You could specify which file you mean and its location?

As for Silverlight, when you say it causes poor performance is that only when using remote desktop in IE8 or also from the Mesh notification icon? If the former, is it possible to disable silverlight in IE8 and but keep it enabled in Firefox? Is this specific to Windows 7 or all versions?

Thanks!
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 4:46 PM
  • You need to right-click the shortcut that launches Mesh, or the program file itself.  It really has nothing to do with IE.  IE8 is completely compatible with W7 and does not need to be run in compatibility mode.  Compatibility View is a feature of IE8 that mimics IE7, and has nothing to do with these instructions, and should not be confused with Compatibility Mode.  You can find the Mesh program either in your start menu, or in whichever folder you installed it to.

Silverlight seems to cause poor performance, but it's not something I can consistently reproduce (I'm running Mesh on 3 different computers.)  When I was having trouble with it, it caused Mesh to stutter like crazy and to grind the hard drive.  Merely disabling Silverlight in IE did not help, but once it was completely uninstalled from my computer it ran fine.  I wasn't running it with Firefox, so I can't speak to that, but I imagine that like all the problems with IE, they appear to be unrelated.

I'm running Vista and Windows 7 (dual boots of W7/Vista on 2 computers, just Vista on one), and other than having to run Mesh in compatibility mode in Windows 7, it doesn't seem to have any effect on performance.

So, essentially, I theorize that Mesh's problems actually have nothing to do with IE, Firefox, or anything related to what browser you're using (other than you cannot remote desktop from Firefox as a matter of design.)

Also, I'd be open to the theory that my uninstalling Silverlight was a coincidence with the performance increase.  Later, after it was running well for awhile, I had similar issues (although not nearly as bad with the stuttering as before I uninstalled Silverlight), which is just an overall lag/hard drive grind when Mesh was running).  The solution that time was to disable AVG (Antivirus Guard) on my W7 laptop installation.  Now it runs smooth like butter.  However, I have an almost identical install on one of my desktops, as far as the dual-booting W7 and Vista goes, and as far as installed programs and add-ons goes, and on the desktop AVG does not seem to interfere with performance at all.

Anyway, since the thread originally involved a problem with Mesh in W7, the solution addresses users using W7.  If you are using Windows 7, and you then try to remote desktop and IE crashes, first run Mesh in compatibility mode for Vista.  If this fixes the crash but performance is terrible (lagged tabbing between options within the Mesh system tray icon, or system performance overall), try uninstalling Silverlight.  If performance is still poor, try disabling your antivirus (temporarily, just to see if that is what's causing the problem.)

The easiest way to run in compatibility mode will be to right-click the program from your start menu.  It will be in the "Live Mesh" folder, and be called "Live Mesh".  Select "Troubleshoot Compatibility".  After you click through the next page, check the box next to "The program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now".  Do NOT check "The program requires additional permissions".  Click next, select "Windows Vista", then click next two more times.  It will launch Mesh in compatibility mode.  Select "Keep these settings for this program."

Alternately, you can right-click the program icon.  Right-click "Live Mesh" in the "Live Mesh" folder in your start menu.  Select "Properties".  Select the "Compatibility" tab.  Check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows Vista".  Click OK and exit the properties.  Do NOT check "Run this program as an administrator".

If for some reason you dont have a "Live Mesh" folder in the start menu, go to the "Users" directory on your hard drive.  Select the user directory that correlates with whatever account you installed Mesh to.  Then go into the following directories: AppData->Local->Microsoft->Live Mesh->Bin->Servicing->0.9.3424.14.  That last directory will reflect the version you installed, so in theory it might be different.  Right-click "MoeMonitor.exe" and follow the above instructions.  AppData is a hidden directory, so if you cannot see it, go to "Organize" or "Tools" on the Windows Explorer menu, and pick "Folder Options".  Click "View", then check the box that says "Show hidden files and folders".  Click OK.
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 8:07 PM
  • Hello,

I am using the Beta of Win7 with IE8. When I log into Live Mesh and try to connect to my desktop on my home machine, IE8 in Win7 crashes. I just tried it.

Thanks
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 9:25 PM
  • Hi again,

So I tried what you suggested but it didn't help for me. I still get crashing of IE8. Sometimes it gets as far as trying to connect but then it either crashes or returns to the devices screen.

So we still need a more general solution...

Thanks.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 7:35 AM
  • Huh, not sure what's causing it then.  I've now successfully fixed this on 3 different computers running W7 by using the above steps.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 4:53 PM
  • I tried the Vista Compatibility fix and it works great!  Windows 7 Build 7000 x64.  Now Remote Desktop open in its customized window instead of part of IE8.
    Monday, February 9, 2009 6:24 AM
  • So I don't know why this works for some of you but not me.

Are you both using the x64 version? I'm using the x86 version. Perhaps that's the difference?

Also, I'm not 100% sure we're talking about the same thing. Are you talking about launching a remote desktop from the Live Mesh Icon (Blue black-hole-looking thing) in the notification area or are you talking about launching Remote Desktop from IE8 from the www.mesh.com website (after signing in selecting the devices tab then clicking on the 'connect' link)?

I don't have a problem getting the Remote Desktop from the Live Mesh Icon to work (even without using any compatibility fixes). It does disable aero transparancy but otherwise works fine.

However, when trying to launch from the website it will crash IE8 and be unsuccessful. Using the website is useful if I want to connect to a computer that is on a Mesh network that I would prefer not to add my own computer to...

Thanks.
    Monday, February 9, 2009 11:37 AM