Windows WHS does not see hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there members,

I have a Dell poweredge sc430 that i have successfully installed WHS.  I have a 80gig, then added an 750gig, both of which are Sata and work.  I had a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 200gig sitting around which I put in.  This drive is an IDE drive to which I have used a converter to switch it to an sata drive.  It is recognized by the bios, had to turn the port on for it, and it is recognized by the device manager in the menu of windows,  but it is not shown in the WHS console.  I checked around and could not find any mention to this other than downlowing a disk wizard, but that was for the drives not being recognized at all, or WHS not being able to install which did not apply to me.

Thanks in advance,

Adrian.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 5:09 AM

Answers

• Well,
    I used dos tool from seagate.  It failed that miserbly, bad sectors all around.  Strange that it can be seen by the bios and device manager.  I will have to check if I could see it in disk manager and see if i can salvage it.  I wonder if having it been a USB drive before that it could have gotten bad sectors?  I will have to see if I can find some tools to maybe fix and reformat the drive and save it.  It was only used as a back up to my music folder on my XP box, but thanks for the idea.

Adrian
    Wednesday, May 9, 2007 7:04 PM

All replies

• Does it show up in Disk Manager? If so, it might be worthwhile to try deleting any partitions already on the disk. Perhaps some old 3rd party partitioning software or something is causing the problem.
    Wednesday, May 9, 2007 3:05 PM
  • Well,
    I used dos tool from seagate.  It failed that miserbly, bad sectors all around.  Strange that it can be seen by the bios and device manager.  I will have to check if I could see it in disk manager and see if i can salvage it.  I wonder if having it been a USB drive before that it could have gotten bad sectors?  I will have to see if I can find some tools to maybe fix and reformat the drive and save it.  It was only used as a back up to my music folder on my XP box, but thanks for the idea.

Adrian
    Wednesday, May 9, 2007 7:04 PM