Restoring Win7 Home Premium computer with old version of WHS RRS feed

• Question

• How do I restore a Win7 Home Premium computer with the old version of WHS? The WHS boot disk does not load the drivers so it can't download the files. I think the drivers are for XP and that is why it won't work. Is there a way to manually restore the disk by installing it in the server or copying the files to something it can load the drivers for.

Perry

Perry

Saturday, June 8, 2013 2:27 AM

All replies

• See the FAQ section of this forum, in particular this post and this one.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Saturday, June 8, 2013 12:06 PM
  • I already looked at the FAQs. I know the general idea of how it should work but the details escape me. Things like do I need 32 bit or 64 bit NIC drivers for the old version of WHS. I will be restoring a Win 7 64 bit OS. Ok next question is where do I get the drivers? The intel drivers are .exe files and they try to install the driver when you run the file. What else can be on the USB stick and does the driver need to be in the root directory? Can I use a USB hard drive instead? I have all these machines backed up but the backups are useless because I can't restore. If the drivers are 64 bit why can't I just copy them from the system director where the drivers are kept. I would think there should be a work around. Why can't the backup be downloaded to a USB hard drive and installed from that which the WHS boot disk should have drivers for.  The NIC in the machine I am trying to restore is an intel 82579lm

Perry

• Edited by Perry114 Tuesday, June 11, 2013 3:19 PM
    Tuesday, June 11, 2013 3:19 PM
  • You need to use a 32 bit driver, preferably for Vista. If, for some reason, you struggle with getting a driver that will work, one of the FAQs I linked offers a workaround. As for "why doesn't it work this other way, which would be more convenient?", well, "Microsoft decided not to do it that way." is all the answer there is.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 9:24 PM