harddisk removal takes over 24 Hours and is still at 30 % RRS feed

• Question

• system: P3_866 on cuv4x running WHS pp3 auto update is on

1Bg ram

1x IDE disk 250 GB

2x SATA through Sweex pci SATA adapter(silicon image chipset) 1x 100GB barracuda and 1x samsung greenpoint

As i ran out of harddisk space i bought a new 1Tb samsung spinpoint drive.

added this to the pool

then 1 hour later, removed the 100Gb.

after 24hours the wizzard is stil running, since yesterday evening 22.00 some 5% gain on process

Server is not freezed, i can acces though external connection en open taskmanager

CPU is running (nearly) idle

All drives are running DMA 4 or higher

This seems not right

What should i do? Keep the system running (and not have a server to acces with all my shares!) and hope it is finisher before the end of the week?

or abort and hope for the best

Monday, May 31, 2010 4:20 PM

Answers

• i will wait for another day to see wat happens progressbar is now at 40%
    Monday, May 31, 2010 7:32 PM

All replies

• system: P3_866 on cuv4x running WHS pp3 auto update is on

1Bg ram

1x IDE disk 250 GB

2x SATA through Sweex pci SATA adapter(silicon image chipset) 1x 100GB barracuda and 1x samsung greenpoint

As i ran out of harddisk space i bought a new 1Tb samsung spinpoint drive.

added this to the pool

then 1 hour later, removed the 100Gb.

after 24hours the wizzard is stil running, since yesterday evening 22.00 some 5% gain on process

Server is not freezed, i can acces though external connection en open taskmanager

CPU is running (nearly) idle

All drives are running DMA 4 or higher

This seems not right

What should i do? Keep the system running (and not have a server to acces with all my shares!) and hope it is finisher before the end of the week?

or abort and hope for the best

That hard drive might be failing.  You can either A) wait it out or B) shut down the server, remove the drive, power the server back up, then remove the now-missing drive from the storage pool.  Then connect that drive to a client and copy anything you find inside x:\DE\shares back to the storage pool where it came from.  See this FAQ post for details about recovering data.
    Monday, May 31, 2010 5:26 PM
  • i will wait for another day to see wat happens progressbar is now at 40%
    Monday, May 31, 2010 7:32 PM
  • Just want to share my experience too.  I recently removed a 1TB HDD, and it took more than 40 hours!

Despite all the bad feelings about VAIL dumping DE, I'm looking forward to the improved speed of the next version of WHS.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:42 PM