Batch RIP Directly to WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All

Now that PP1 has been released, has anyone tried to batch rip CDs directly to there WHS?  I know before the release it was heavily advised not to do this as it would most likely cause the "coruption bug" to raise its ugly head.  I have a Sony VGP-XL1B 200 disk changer and want to use it with my Vista Ultimate machine to finally finish ripping around 200 CDs.  I plan on changing the ripped path to the Music share on the WHS and let it go.  Up till now I have been ripping to my PC then copying over to the WHS when finished.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am sure others have this same batch rip capability.

Thanks

Smitty

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 1:37 PM

All replies

• You may find that performance isn't all you would like; that's a function of your network rather than Windows Home Server, though. Also, depending on the software you're using, you might not be able to rip directly to a network location.

Personally, I rip locally to ALAC, then sync my library up to my server nightly. That way the slower part (copying many MB over the network) happens while I'm asleep.
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:47 PM
  • I didn't do a "Batch Rip" to WHS, but I did use three separate systems to RIP CDs to the WHS symultaniously - there didn't seem to be a problem.  I had to be sure to have the Libraries in Media Player completely empty when I started, if you had a disk already listed in the Media Player library the system simply rejected the CD.  After all the music was stored in WHS, I then had to completely empty the Media Player Library on each system and let it search and upload all the music again.  I did all this with XP systems so Vista might be different. 

Good luck....

LJ

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 4:17 PM