Looking to run rsync from windows home server... anyone know of one RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone knows if it is possible to install rsync on a home server so that I can back-up to another home server that is off site.  I would like my home server to connect using rsync every night and transfer to a friends home server for 5 hours and then continue the next night.

I have done this with rsync and linux but would much rather do this with the home server. If Rsync isn't available do you have any suggestions?

Thank you,

Dubbly

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 6:29 AM

All replies

• Dubbly,

There are a few ways of achieving this. Personally, I use SecondCopy, this will run as a service on WHS and I use it to backup my server to my Brothers' NAS unit, while he does the same in reverse.

The only point you need to keep an eye on, no matter what you use, is to ensure you are copying the data, NOT the tombstones!

Because of the low upload speeds normally available to domestic customers, we did our initial syncs with a portable hard disk, but all others are done on-line.

HTH,

Colin

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 10:03 AM
  • Hi Colin,

Couple of questions.  How do you keep from copying the toombstone?  Secondly does secondycopy allow you to throttledown the upload speed and does it only transfer differences between files altready copied?

Thank you,

Ben

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 3:30 PM
  • Ben,

SecondCopy doesn't have throttling directly, but as upload speeds are so low anyway, I have mine set to run late in the evening, just prior to the overnight backups. I don't know of any way to copy incremental changes, but it will either copy files based on the archive bit, or optionally, on the date/time stamp. I use it to copy all my shared directories automatically twice a day and every four days, one of the backups for each computer.

To ensure you don't copy the tombstones instead of the actual data, you need to use the shared folder path.

There are other ways to carry out this, there are users on here using RoboCopy, or SyncToy. This last one, the Home Server team are in the process of writing an Add-In that will control this, so may be worthwhile waiting for that, instead of spending cash!

Colin

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 5:45 PM
  • This may or may not work for you...

http://www.itefix.no/phpws/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=6&MMN_position=150:150

Note that I have not used this so as always YMMV...

Thursday, December 6, 2007 8:44 PM
  • Well, this may not be exactly what you want, but it is an alternative I've been using for remote backups to my web server with mad HD storage. Here is the "how to" I wrote.

Thursday, December 6, 2007 11:49 PM
  • You should take a look at DeltaCopy.  It's a Windows port of rsynch with a GUI.  The server portion runs as a service and the client utilizes the scheduler in Windows.  I've used it to synch files over the internet with Windows 2000 Server and XP.

http://www.aboutmyip.com/AboutMyXApp/DeltaCopy.jsp

Saturday, December 8, 2007 6:30 AM