Removing drive AND files from the system? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to remove a drive from the system, but I also want to move the files from it onto a non-WHS drive. What's the easiest way of doing this?

Thanks.

Monday, August 11, 2008 11:46 AM

Answers

•  Muttley wrote:
    I'm trying to remove a drive from the system, but I also want to move the files from it onto a non-WHS drive. What's the easiest way of doing this?

Thanks.

Move the files from the network shares to the non-WHS drive.  Once that's done, remove the drive from the storage pool.

Monday, August 11, 2008 1:24 PM

All replies

•  Muttley wrote:
    I'm trying to remove a drive from the system, but I also want to move the files from it onto a non-WHS drive. What's the easiest way of doing this?

Thanks.

Move the files from the network shares to the non-WHS drive.  Once that's done, remove the drive from the storage pool.

Monday, August 11, 2008 1:24 PM
  • Problem is trying to find out which files are on each drive - I have 16TB across 20 drives, and thousands and thousands of files in many subdirectories. I actually want to change the motherboard, and figured the easiest way to achieve this would be to move all my files onto non-WHS drives, then re-install. I have a spare 1TB non-WHS drives, and my idea was to move the files from a WHS-drive, then remove it from WHS, and repeat this until all my drives have been removed. I've read the threads on changing motherboards, but they all seem to need the drives re-connected in the same order, which wouldn't be feasible for me.

Monday, August 11, 2008 8:51 PM
  •  Muttley wrote:
    Problem is trying to find out which files are on each drive - I have 16TB across 20 drives, and thousands and thousands of files in many subdirectories. I actually want to change the motherboard, and figured the easiest way to achieve this would be to move all my files onto non-WHS drives, then re-install. I have a spare 1TB non-WHS drives, and my idea was to move the files from a WHS-drive, then remove it from WHS, and repeat this until all my drives have been removed. I've read the threads on changing motherboards, but they all seem to need the drives re-connected in the same order, which wouldn't be feasible for me.

Oh ok.  As long as you get your current primary drive in the first boot slot of your new mobo and connect the rest of the drives as closely as possible to where they are now (meaning if you have some drives connected to a SATA card, leave them connected to that card), I believe you should be able to get the Server Reinstallation option anyway.  It won't hurt any to try it.  If you don't get Server Reinstallation as an option when you boot from the DVD, just cancel out of it.

Monday, August 11, 2008 9:04 PM