WHS2011 - Backing up the backups RRS feed

• Question

• Does WHS2011 provide any way to backup my backups?  I have a system with just a single 2TB drive and I would like to periodically make a complete clone of this to store off site.  All threads about backing up the server center on the data in shared folders.  I purely use the machine for backing up client machines and don't use shared data folders.  But I would like to be able take a snapshot of my whole machine.  I have a 2nd identical drive, just don't know how to do the backup. 
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:04 PM

All replies

• On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 19:04:39 +0000, ekutter wrote:

Does WHS2011 provide any way to backup my backups? ?I have a system with just a single 2TB drive and I would like to periodically make a complete clone of this to store off site. ?All threads about backing up the server center on the data in shared folders. ?I purely use the machine for backing up client machines and don't use shared data folders. ?But I would like to be able take a snapshot of my whole machine. ?I have a 2nd identical drive, just don't know how to do the backup.

Search the online help for Server Backup.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    CChheecckk yyoouurr dduupplleexx sswwiittcchh..

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:26 PM
  • Yes - just add an external drive (so that it can be rotated off-site) and look in the Dashboard and it should ask you whether you want to add the drive for server staorage. Having done that, you need to set up server backup (in Dashboard again) which runs incrementally with selectable times between single or multiple daily dackups.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:28 PM
  • Be aware that this will only work, if the total backup volume stays below 2 TB.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:55 PM
  • Thanks for the responses.  My confusion was all the documentation seemed to refer to the shared folders.  Once I hooked up the 2nd drive (through an external USB housing) and went through the wizard, it was obvious this could included the backup folders.

Yes, I am aware that this specific process limits me to 2TB, but thanks for spelling this out.  At this point, looks like 2TB should last me a good long while.  Olaf, I just realized you might mean it will continue to add to the backup size each time I do a server backup.  So are you saying over time, the backup of the server will exceed the size of the server drives?  I guess at that point I start over.  I just want to be able to recreate the state of the server to the time of the most recent backup.  It's the clients for which I want historical backup data.

During the setup of server backup, I didn't see any option for setting the backup interval to manual.  Since this drive will be offsite, I only plan on backing up the server about once a month since it is for worst case scenario such as a fire.  Am I best off disabling the backup between backup's?  Will it notify me of a failed attempt at backup every day?

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 11:35 PM
  • All what documentation? It's clearly recorded in the online documentation.

As I said above, Server backup runs daily - if you need it less frequently than that then your option is to switch it off and then re-enable when you want it to run. Better to use two drives - one onsite and one offsite and letting it run daily.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 12:55 AM