Repair and missing Data Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I've had to run a repair on my WHS, hoping to retain all my shares and backup data.

All went well  until the final initialization.  "A volume could not be created" or words similar.

In Compmgmt the DATA partition is still there.  (single 1TB disk with 20GB WHS partition and the rest as WHS storage).  There is no drive letter assigned to the DATA drive (Normally D:\) but looking at the assigned letters I have (changing or adding a drive letter), it only shows SYS (C:)\fs

Can I safely Add a drive letter and give it the letter "D"?  (note all folders and files are accessible via Explorer in c:\fs, so the drive is fine and dandy.

How do I get the WHS server to re-recognise the missing Data Drive and to finish off its repair installation?

Thanks

Logfile

[TRACE] Looking for template _:\qs.ini
    [TRACE] Checked file C:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file X:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Template _:\qs.ini NOT FOUND!
    [TRACE] FindOnMedia : Exited (0x80070002)
    [TRACE] FindSetupFile : Exited (0x80070002)
    [5/17/2009 8:20:05 AM  610] Install step is set to 5
    [5/17/2009 8:20:40 AM  610] Creating volume Primary Volume
    [5/17/2009 8:20:40 AM  610] Progress: 0%
    [5/17/2009 8:20:41 AM  610] Progress: 0%
    [5/17/2009 8:20:42 AM  610] Progress: 10%
    [5/17/2009 8:20:43 AM  610] ERROR: creating data volume failed (0x80004005)
    [TRACE] CreateVolume : Exited (0x80004005)
    [5/17/2009 8:20:43 AM  610] Creating volume failed. Error 0x80004005.
    [5/17/2009 8:20:43 AM  610] MessageBox: Creating volume failed because of an error in an external component.
    [TRACE] Step_CreatePrimaryVolume : Exited (0x80004005)
    [5/17/2009 8:21:41 AM  610] Windows Home Server setup failed. The error code is 0x80004005. Please correct the problem and reboot to restart the setup program.
    [5/17/2009 8:21:41 AM  610] MessageBox: Windows Home Server installation failed. Do you want to view the installation log file?
    • Edited by BobC_01 Sunday, May 17, 2009 3:29 PM
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 3:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• I've had to run a repair on my WHS, hoping to retain all my shares and backup data.

All went well  until the final initialization.  "A volume could not be created" or words similar.

In Compmgmt the DATA partition is still there.  (single 1TB disk with 20GB WHS partition and the rest as WHS storage).  There is no drive letter assigned to the DATA drive (Normally D:\) but looking at the assigned letters I have (changing or adding a drive letter), it only shows SYS (C:)\fs

Can I safely Add a drive letter and give it the letter "D"?

It's definitely not supported.  Frankly, I wouldn't try it (unless you have all of your data backed up elsewhere).

(note all folders and files are accessible via Explorer in c:\fs, so the drive is fine and dandy.

How do I get the WHS server to re-recognise the missing Data Drive and to finish off its repair installation?

I would try another Server Reinstallation.  Make sure you leave the DVD in the drive until you get to the Welcome screen.  If you get an error message, please copy it down and post exactly what it says here.

Thanks

Logfile

[5/17/2009 8:20:05 AM  610] Install step is set to 5
    [5/17/2009 8:20:40 AM  610] Creating volume Primary Volume
    [5/17/2009 8:20:40 AM  610] Progress: 0%
    [5/17/2009 8:20:41 AM  610] Progress: 0%
    [5/17/2009 8:20:42 AM  610] Progress: 10%
    [5/17/2009 8:20:43 AM  610] ERROR: creating data volume failed (0x80004005)
    [TRACE] CreateVolume : Exited (0x80004005)
    [5/17/2009 8:20:43 AM  610] Creating volume failed. Error 0x80004005.
    [5/17/2009 8:20:43 AM  610] MessageBox: Creating volume failed because of an error in an external component.
    [5/17/2009 8:21:41 AM  610] Windows Home Server setup failed. The error code is 0x80004005. Please correct the problem and reboot to restart the setup program.
    [5/17/2009 8:21:41 AM  610] MessageBox: Windows Home Server installation failed. Do you want to view the installation log file?

Sunday, May 17, 2009 3:41 PM
  • The actual error is in the logfile:

Sunday, May 17, 2009 3:45 PM
  • I'm doing another Server Reinstall, and see what happens. The reason for the Reinstall was that my WHS computer died and I have put the single 1TB drive in another PC. I knew WHS would fall over without doing a reinstall because of drivers, so I just went ahead and did a Reinstallation. However, the PC has 2 additional drives connected to a SATA raid card, and although formatted NTFS there were blank, and not part of any pool or having duplication data on them, I think the WHS reinstall is seeing the drives and trying to assign drive letters in order of the Physical hard drives as they appear in the Compmgmt panel. So, to try something different I have disconnected the two extra drives before trying the Reinstallation again. Fingers crossed. I'll update shortly.
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 4:29 PM
  • I'm doing another Server Reinstall, and see what happens. The reason for the Reinstall was that my WHS computer died and I have put the single 1TB drive in another PC.

Please clarify:  you say you "put the single 1TB drive in another PC".  Was it the primary drive before?  When you say "single", do you mean that was the only drive in the server?

I knew WHS would fall over without doing a reinstall because of drivers, so I just went ahead and did a Reinstallation. However, the PC has 2 additional drives connected to a SATA raid card, and although formatted NTFS there were blank, and not part of any pool or having duplication data on them, I think the WHS reinstall is seeing the drives and trying to assign drive letters in order of the Physical hard drives as they appear in the Compmgmt panel. So, to try something different I have disconnected the two extra drives before trying the Reinstallation again. Fingers crossed. I'll update shortly.

Sunday, May 17, 2009 5:19 PM
  • I have done another "Reinstallation" of the server, but without the extra drives in the equation.

Exactly same error as described above.  "Creating volume failed because of an error in an external component."

What if deleted the drive entries in the registry and let windows rediscover the partitions and reassign for WHS to finish off?
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 5:20 PM

• Please clarify:  you say you "put the single 1TB drive in another PC".  Was it the primary drive before?  When you say "single", do you mean that was the only drive in the server?

Yes it was the Primary drive.  It was the only drive which was managed by WHS.  i.e. the only "pool" drive.  There was another drive, but I just used that to dump non essential files onto.

The 1TB drive is SATA and had been running with an IDE adpater on the old PC.  On the "newer" PC it is running on a SATA connection.  WHS boot CD recognises the drive fine when Reinstalling the server.  I can't ehlp but think its something to do with drive letters/volumes/partitions getting out of sync.  But I don't know how to get then DATA partition to be seen at the Final stage.
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 6:24 PM
  • I have done another "Reinstallation" of the server, but without the extra drives in the equation.

Exactly same error as described above.  "Creating volume failed because of an error in an external component."

What if deleted the drive entries in the registry and let windows rediscover the partitions and reassign for WHS to finish off?

Can you please go back to before your Reinstallations and explain, in detail, how many drives you had at the time and which one was your primary drive?  Then also explain how you have it set up now that isn't working?
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 6:25 PM
  • Hi,

Old PC:

1 TB SATA drive with an IDE adapter on its own IDE channel, Primary, Master.  WHS installed to a 20GB partition and the backups and shares stored to the remainder of the drive.
    1 x 80GB drive on its own IDE channel, Master, not part of the pool. Shared name of Misc for easy access.

Newer PC
    Same 1TB drive now on a SATA connection in Legacy mode on MB, with the DVD on a single IDE channel, master.
    Nothing else now connected, although I had a ALi PCi raid card in a slot but with no drives attached.  (I have removed the card now to see if the final bit would work, but it doesn't: same error).

Nothing else attached or installed by way of hardware.
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 6:50 PM
  • Hi,

Old PC:

1 TB SATA drive with an IDE adapter on its own IDE channel, Primary, Master.  WHS installed to a 20GB partition and the backups and shares stored to the remainder of the drive.
    1 x 80GB drive on its own IDE channel, Master, not part of the pool. Shared name of Misc for easy access.

Newer PC
    Same 1TB drive now on a SATA connection in Legacy mode on MB, with the DVD on a single IDE channel, master.
    Nothing else now connected, although I had a ALi PCi raid card in a slot but with no drives attached.  (I have removed the card now to see if the final bit would work, but it doesn't: same error).

Nothing else attached or installed by way of hardware.
    Ok, I understand now. :)  My guess is the fact that WHS is getting confused because you are "changing" the drive type (PATA to SATA) in the process.  It probably can't figure out how the GUID of the drive is the same, yet the drive type changed.  Have you tried a Server Reinstallation, but using the PATA to SATA adapter for the hard drive (the way you had it before)?
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 7:09 PM
  • Haven't tried the SATA-IDE adapter as yet.

TBH the thought of losing my shares is prayng on my mind!  What I may do is take out the SATA drive and plug it into an eSATA connection on my new PC and transfer all the shared files to that (enough space!!) and then restart afresh in the dedicated PC for WHS.

Out of interest, how well does WHS run in a VM under XP Pro 32 bit?  (I've just built a Core 2 Quad PC).
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 7:19 PM
  • This is also in detail described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by BobC_01 Sunday, May 17, 2009 8:57 PM
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 8:30 PM
  • Thank you.

I was just about to post a question asking how to access the shared files on the drive!  Looking in "DE" and shares was the the nugget I needed!

I am busy copying the data over now.  Phew!
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 8:58 PM
  • Can I recover the back up files as well as the "normal" file shares?  If so, how would I go about getting a new install done and retain the old back ups?

Thanks
    Monday, May 18, 2009 10:43 AM
  • Usually the official statement is, you can't and you should backup the clients again. This also makes sense, since often enough corruption in the backup database will be discovered at a later stage.
    What you can test would be to logon to your server and in a command prompt type:
    net stop pdl
    net stop whsbackup

Delete all files, which may already be in
    d:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}

Now copy the files from \DE\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} on each of the old disks to the above mentioned location (not from D:\folders, since this will refer to tombstones).
    After completing, reboot the server (or restart the two services stopped before) and try your luck. In worst case the broken or incomplete backup database will cause WHS components crash.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, May 18, 2009 12:25 PM
  • Update:

I had been using the "X-Files" iso DVD which the guys over at "wegotserved" had slipstreamed with as many drivers as possible to cover all eventualities.  After a 4th attempt at a "server reinstallation" with no result, I decided to use the original MSoft DVD Server Installation I have (Partner Program), and the server reinstall went as sweet as a nut.  No problems whatsoever!  Result.  So the X-Files DVD is consigned to the non-recycle bin!
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 11:47 PM
  • Update:

I had been using the "X-Files" iso DVD which the guys over at "wegotserved" had slipstreamed with as many drivers as possible to cover all eventualities.  After a 4th attempt at a "server reinstallation" with no result, I decided to use the original MSoft DVD Server Installation I have (Partner Program), and the server reinstall went as sweet as a nut.  No problems whatsoever!  Result.  So the X-Files DVD is consigned to the non-recycle bin!

I've often wondered how many people with problems in this forum have decided to use that hacked version of WHS.  I think I will start asking that question first from now on... :)
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 7:49 PM
  • :-)

Well, I posted a note on wegotdserved explaining the "opportunity"!

It is good to know that a Server Reinstall does what it says on the tin, and all my shares and backups were absolutely fine.  So I can now delete 650GB off my desktop PC and revert to WHS for my backups and storage.
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 9:54 PM