Can't get WHS to load SATA drivers (F6 won't work) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I got WHS to install and it took my SATA Sil 3112 drivers for my Gigabyte GA-7n400 pro (latest from website) during the DVD installation, but when that was done and the Windows Server 2003 screen came up I tried to install the drivers there but it will not let me hit F6 to install the drivers. It skips right over it!
    Tried several times.
    Then it goes on and I get an error:
    Windows Home Server 2003 for Small Business Server Setup
    The manufacturer provided file that setup is trying to use is corrupt or invalid.
    Illegal or missing file types specified in section Files.SCSI.Si3112_XP.
    Setup cannot continue. to quit setup, press F3

Any ideas on how to get it to let me select the drivers? Or did I do something wrong during the initial installation of the drivers?

Thanks!

SK
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 4:11 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    the floppy should not be in the drive, while you press F6.
    Also the driver files should either be located in the root of the drive or in a folder without blanks in the name.
    (You did use a floppy, didn't you? Any other drives are not supported in this stage.)
    You could also check the content of txtsetup.oem in notepad, if there are any files in the list, which are not on the disk.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 12:59 PM
  • An option: set your bios for IDE drives.  WHS seems to work better with this set-up.  SATA drives are known to take extra work, if they work at all.
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 2:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    the floppy should not be in the drive, while you press F6.
    Also the driver files should either be located in the root of the drive or in a folder without blanks in the name.
    (You did use a floppy, didn't you? Any other drives are not supported in this stage.)
    You could also check the content of txtsetup.oem in notepad, if there are any files in the list, which are not on the disk.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 12:59 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply!

I was able to get to a menu by hitting F5 (F6 still does NOTHING whether a floppy is in the drive or not) that says "What type of computer do you have"

I said "other" and it says "cannot find txtsetup.oem" so I go back to the menu.

So I tried "custom" next and it appears to load the drivers then I get an error:
    File \$OEM$\si3112.sys could not be loaded.
    The error code is 18
    Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

Any thoughts? I checked the content of the txtsetup.oem and that seems fine and the files are in the root of the floppy drive.

I've tried the Si3112r drivers, Si3112 drivers from Gigabyte's website and the "3112Raid_x64_10120_logo" drivers from the Silicon Image website that says for Windows XP/Server 2003.
    I guess I'm not sure which drivers to use.

SK
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 12:58 AM
  • An option: set your bios for IDE drives.  WHS seems to work better with this set-up.  SATA drives are known to take extra work, if they work at all.
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 2:25 AM