Centralized backup permissions error (XP backing up to Vista) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a problem that has me stumped.  I have a OneCare circle of 5 machines, 3 of them are Vista SP1, 2 are XP SP3.  I have a external drive attached to one of the Vista machines and have it configured as the Centralized backup location for all PCs in the OneCare circle.  Everything works perfect on 4 of the machines, but on one of the XP machines it says it can't access the Centralized backup drive due to lack of permissions.  The other XP machine in my circle has no problems with permissions whatsoever.   Since 4 of the machines are working OK but one isn't I didn't figure the permissions were an actual problem, but nonetheless on the Vista machine with the centralized backup drive I added "Everyone" to the OneCareBackup share and set the permission as "Full Control".  Still no luck, it still says it can't access due to a permission error.  One wierd thing I'm noticing is that when I try to do the backup from the XP machine it does succeed in creating the directory on the centralized backup drive where the backup would be stored, but it's like it just can write files into the directory.  I'm stuck.  Again, I've set wide open permissions for "Everyone", and all the other machines in my OneCare circle are working fine, it's just one of machines isn't.  Can anybody suggest anything to try? 

Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:17 PM

Answers

• It does indeed look like the configuration is correct based on the snippets you posted. Why it won't work, I can't say. At this point the best I can offer is to send you to support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

On the other hand, perhaps disabling backup on the problem machine and redoing the configuration might help?

In effect, resetting the backup plan for that PC. You can perform that action on the machine itself or the hub.

-steve

Friday, August 29, 2008 6:09 PM

All replies

• Is any user logged on when backup runs on that XP machine that returns the permissions error?

Note that your license limits you to 3 computers in a Circle. You should have two subscriptions, created with two unique LiveIDs. Assuming you have another copy of OneCare purchased at retail to cover the legal side, technically, what you've configured as a Circle should continue to work, but if the 3 PC limit is enforced at a later date, you'll need to re-acivate 2 of your 5 PCs.

-steve

Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:23 PM
  • Your note regarding license is understood, thanks.

To your other question, yes, my normal user account (which does have admin priv) is logged in on the XP machine that is failing with the permission error.  I should note that this is the case on my other XP machine as well that works just fine.

Do you think it has something to do with the user account that's logged in?
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:41 PM
  • It shouldn't be the User account. Since the destination for the backup is an attached drive and not a network share, backup *should* work no matter who is logged on or not. If your attached drive that is the destination is a network Share, then an admin user must be logged on for it to work, I believe.

Can you access the drive from the failing XP machine using Windows Explorer to read and write files?

-steve

Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:45 PM
  • When I created the "Centralized Backup" plan for all the PC's in the circle the OneCare backup automagically created a network share for the attached drive on the Vista machine (the share it automatically created is called "OneCareShare948$" with Full Control permissions).  Somehow the other machines in the OneCare circle know to use that network share name.  And again, for some reason that works fine for all the machines except the one XP machine. 

On the XP machine that backs up successfully the backup segment of the OneCare log is:

8/25/2008 4:01 PM Backup Configuration was completed successfully. 
    Monitor Mode: False 
    Local Backup Enabled: True 
    Local Backup Device Type: central backup device 
    Categories selected: 4095 
    Local Backup Frequency: Automatic, weekly 
    Local Backup folders exclusion usage: False 
    Local Backup Device Location: \\MINEARSERVER\OneCareShare948$\ 
    Online Photo Backup Enabled: False 
    Online Photo Backup folders exclusion usage: False 
    Centralized Device Type: external hard drive 
    Centralized Device location: \\MINEARSERVER\OneCareShare948$\ 

8/29/2008 8:06 AM Backup Task was completed successfully. 
    Start Time: 8/29/2008 8:06 AM 
    Number of succeeded files: 28 
    Number of failed files: 0 
    Successful backup size in bytes: 2221962 
    Size backed up during Foreground jobs in bytes:  0 
    Time Taken by Foreground jobs in secs:  0 
    Size backed up during Background jobs in bytes:  0 
    Time Taken by Background jobs in secs:  0 
    Watson File:  
    Backup collection: BRIANPARALLELSX Backup 2008 - \\MINEARSERVER\OneCareShare948$ 

On the XP machines that doesn't work due to the permission error the OneCare log has an entry for the Configuration completing successfully, but no entry for the Backup Task:

8/27/2008 10:57 AM Backup Configuration was completed successfully. Monitor Mode: False Local Backup Enabled: True Local Backup Device Type: central backup device Categories selected: 4095 Local Backup Frequency: Automatic, weekly Local Backup folders exclusion usage: False Local Backup Device Location: \\MINEARSERVER\OneCareShare948$\ Online Photo Backup Enabled: False Online Photo Backup folders exclusion usage: False Centralized Device Type: external hard drive Centralized Device location: \\MINEARSERVER\OneCareShare948$\ You can see that the Backup Configuration on the two machines is identical, so no problems there.

Help!!!

Brian

Friday, August 29, 2008 3:50 PM
  • It does indeed look like the configuration is correct based on the snippets you posted. Why it won't work, I can't say. At this point the best I can offer is to send you to support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

On the other hand, perhaps disabling backup on the problem machine and redoing the configuration might help?

In effect, resetting the backup plan for that PC. You can perform that action on the machine itself or the hub.

-steve

Friday, August 29, 2008 6:09 PM