Status of WHS PP1 / Zune Memory Consumption Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I noticed in the PP1 beta forum this was brought up but I didn't see a satisfactory resolution.  I just realized today why my Zune software running on Vista x86 SP1 is so dang sluggish.  It was using ~1.5 GB of memory.  I have all my music setup on replicated folder on the WHS box.  Isn't this what "most" Zune/WHS owners would do? Anyway at this point I'm thinking about uninstalling PP1 unless there is a glimmer of hope that this issue will be resolved soon.

Sunday, August 31, 2008 5:24 AM

Answers

• Zunestr said:

I was on zune forum and they said this was an Issue with WHS  I'm running XP and got this error as well... they say build 1776 fixes the issue.  I went to the Microsoft connect site and the report was that build 1776 slowed the issue but it was still happening.  They went on to say it was a zune issue.  I however believe this is a WHS issuse as this did not happen before I upgraded to SP1 of WHS...

Someone at Microsoft needs to quite pointing fingers and get it fixed!  It makes both products look bad... I sync at night and leave for the commute to work only to find that nothing synced to my zune.  Makes for boring commute!

Will try to update WHS tonight but cannot find the build on connect... maybe (most likely not) the update on WHS will automatically get it... Wishful thinking...

There is a QFE in the works for the Zune bug and it is currently being tested internally. When it is ready to be pushed externally, we will make it available.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 4:33 PM

All replies

• The issue with Zune has been identified as being in the Zune software, not Power Pack 1, from what I understand. As such, no the WHS team is unlikely to shim their product to fix the issue. The Zune product team is aware of the issue, I'm sure, so you may want to check with them. As for what most Zune users would do, I can't speak to that specifically (i use iTunes/iPods, not Zune), but I maintain a local iTunes library, and copy media to my server for streaming with Firefly when I acquire new tracks. Perhaps something like that is more workable for you?

As for uninstalling Power Pack 1, you can do so, but if you do you will open yourself (and your server) up to the possibility of data corruption as detailed in this KB article. I strongly recommend against doing what you propose.
    Sunday, August 31, 2008 2:34 PM
  • I was on zune forum and they said this was an Issue with WHS  I'm running XP and got this error as well... they say build 1776 fixes the issue.  I went to the Microsoft connect site and the report was that build 1776 slowed the issue but it was still happening.  They went on to say it was a zune issue.  I however believe this is a WHS issuse as this did not happen before I upgraded to SP1 of WHS...

Someone at Microsoft needs to quite pointing fingers and get it fixed!  It makes both products look bad... I sync at night and leave for the commute to work only to find that nothing synced to my zune.  Makes for boring commute!

Will try to update WHS tonight but cannot find the build on connect... maybe (most likely not) the update on WHS will automatically get it... Wishful thinking...
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 9:33 PM
  • Build 1776 was a beta build of Power Pack 1, and is no longer available for download from Connect. If you have automatic updates turned off, please turn them on; the final build was released several weeks ago and will download automatically.

However, as far as I know the Zune software issue is still present.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 11:50 AM
  • Zunestr said:

I was on zune forum and they said this was an Issue with WHS  I'm running XP and got this error as well... they say build 1776 fixes the issue.  I went to the Microsoft connect site and the report was that build 1776 slowed the issue but it was still happening.  They went on to say it was a zune issue.  I however believe this is a WHS issuse as this did not happen before I upgraded to SP1 of WHS...

There is a QFE in the works for the Zune bug and it is currently being tested internally. When it is ready to be pushed externally, we will make it available.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 4:33 PM