Disable access to PSTN network for the external user RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

External user must not be able to make call to the PSTN network but they are allow to make Communicator call to other user.
    How can I achieve that ?
    If I remove my mediation server from the authorized internal server, would it work ?

For the time being, I have stopped the A/V services on the Edge serve, but the internal client (and the external) have an error on their communicator "Limited external calling". I understand the error for the external user (As I have stopped the A/V service), but not for the internal. They don't use the Edge server, no ?

Thanks for your help
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 6:08 AM

Answers

• That's an interesting use case.  One of the benefits of Enterprise Voice is that your work number goes with you wherever you have Communicator.  I've never heard of a customer that needed to restrict these calls from outside the network.  I'd have to guess Microsoft hasn't considered this use case either, because unfortunately this isn't something you can configure.  As you've probably noticed, if you stop the A/V Edge service then Communicator calls between internal and external users will stop also.

You could accomplish this with an SPL script on the Edge server that blocks calls to anything with a tel: URI.  That would allow calls to Communicator (sip:) but would cause any PSTN calls to fail.

Mike Stacy | Evangelyze Communications | http://www.evangelyze.net/cs/blogs/mike
    • Marked as answer by BougRun Wednesday, February 18, 2009 6:23 AM
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 8:31 PM

All replies

• This is accomplished through usage policies.  If you open your Voice Properties at the forest level you'll see a Policy tab.  You'll want at least two policies - one for people who are allowed to call outside and one for people whoare not allowed to call outside.  Next create appropriate routes for internal and external calling.  On the internal calling route(s) add both the policy groups you created but on the external calling route(s) only add the policy group for which you want to allow outside calling.

Next, apply the policies to the correct users and you'll be good to go.
    Mike Stacy | Evangelyze Communications | http://www.evangelyze.net/cs/blogs/mike
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 12:21 PM
  • Thanks for your answer. But the problem, is that the external user are also internal user sometimes.
    In fact we would like to allow them to call the PSTN network from the company network. And if they are at home they are only able to make communicator call.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 6:45 PM
  • That's an interesting use case.  One of the benefits of Enterprise Voice is that your work number goes with you wherever you have Communicator.  I've never heard of a customer that needed to restrict these calls from outside the network.  I'd have to guess Microsoft hasn't considered this use case either, because unfortunately this isn't something you can configure.  As you've probably noticed, if you stop the A/V Edge service then Communicator calls between internal and external users will stop also.

You could accomplish this with an SPL script on the Edge server that blocks calls to anything with a tel: URI.  That would allow calls to Communicator (sip:) but would cause any PSTN calls to fail.

• Marked as answer by BougRun Wednesday, February 18, 2009 6:23 AM
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 8:31 PM