Space for back up files RRS feed

• Question

• When you back up files on live one care does it use space on the hard drive?

If my hard drive is 75% full will I still be able to back up my files?

Thanks

Friday, November 14, 2008 4:05 PM

Answers

• OneCare needs space on the internal drive to compress the backup files before moving them over to the backup destination or burning them to CD/DVD. I can't tell you if 25% free is enough, since you don't tell us the size of the drive, and it will also depend on how much is being backed up and the destination. Give it a try and see what happens. I suspect that it will be enough space.

-steve

Friday, November 14, 2008 6:37 PM

All replies

• OneCare needs space on the internal drive to compress the backup files before moving them over to the backup destination or burning them to CD/DVD. I can't tell you if 25% free is enough, since you don't tell us the size of the drive, and it will also depend on how much is being backed up and the destination. Give it a try and see what happens. I suspect that it will be enough space.

-steve

Friday, November 14, 2008 6:37 PM
  •  

Hi Steve

I have 71 gb of space available out of 223gb.

You said it will need space to compress files for the to move them up to the backup destination.  So, they will compress the files and move them to the back up destination.   Where is the backup destination?

Is the backup destination on my hard drive?  Will I still have 71 gb free after I backup my files?

Sorry for the stupid questions...I am lost with this.

Thanks!

Sunday, November 16, 2008 1:33 AM
  • It sounds like you've got plenty of free space.

The backup destination is whatever you configure it to be - a CD/DVD, an external had drive, or a network Share.

OneCare won't backup to your internal drive and you will still have the same amount of free space after the backup - of course, that space will vary as new files are written to disk or removed by the operating system and other programs.

-steve

Monday, November 17, 2008 4:33 PM