Import MSN contacts into Office Communicator R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

When installing OCS 2007 R2 with Public IM Connection (PIC) in an organization where the users have been using MSN messenger a natural question is:
    How can I move my MSN contacts into Office Communicator?

In the OCS 2007 resource kit there is a tool called importcontact.exe that is doing just this. The read_me says:
    This tool imports contacts from MSN Messenger to Communicator 2.0. The tool uses Communicator automation API’s so Communicator needs to be signed for the tool to work. After importing contacts you will find a group called MSN Contacts and below the group the MSN contacts are added to Communicator.

I would like a similar tool that works for Communicator 3.5.6907.0 (Communicator R2). Is there such a tool available?

I am looking for an end-user tool, since I want the users to do this themselves, not some complicated export / import procedure or administrator tool.

/mk

Thursday, September 24, 2009 8:26 AM

Answers

• Have you attempted to use that tool with the latest OC client version?  Not too much has changed between the lastest client versions (although a few are major) so that tool may still work, but I wouldn't be suprised to see that it does not. 
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Marked as answer by Kressmark Thursday, September 24, 2009 1:46 PM
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 1:08 PM

All replies

• Have you attempted to use that tool with the latest OC client version?  Not too much has changed between the lastest client versions (although a few are major) so that tool may still work, but I wouldn't be suprised to see that it does not. 
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Marked as answer by Kressmark Thursday, September 24, 2009 1:46 PM
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 1:08 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

Yes, that was the problem. I upgraded the OC client to 3.5.6907.37 and then importcontact.exe worked. Thanks!

/mk
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 1:49 PM