WHS Password not accepted when installing HWS on Desktop RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have the HP EX470 Windows Home Server system and I was able to install the WHS software on a Dell Optiplex running WinXP SP2, a Gateway desktop unit running Vista Ultimate, and a generic home built system running WinXP SP2. However, when I try to install the software on my Dell Dimension desktop, when asked for the WHS password, the correct password (used for the other three installs) is not being recognized.

I thought it might be a firewall and/or Antivirus issue so I disabled both (I had Comcast's McAfee Security Center installed). When this did not solve the problem, I completely removed the McAfee Security Center, but again, the WHS password is not being installed.

Any thoughts on what is causing this and how to fix it?

Monday, January 14, 2008 5:04 PM

Answers

• Hmm, odd.

I had a similar issue with one of my PCs; there's a sort of hacky work-around you can do.

Part of the problem is that if you can't auth with the server, the install will cancel and remove the client component. So if you don't let the installer cancel, you can get around it...

If I recall correctly, when you get that error message you can go into Task Manager and end the installer task/process. On reboot, the client component was working on my problem PC.

Monday, January 14, 2008 11:14 PM

All replies

• What's the text of the error message you get?

Some quick things to check:

1) can the problem machine ping WHS?

2) can the problem machine access shares on WHS?

Monday, January 14, 2008 7:37 PM
  • The error message is "The password is incorrect. Please retype your password. Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case." The password I enter is exactly the same password I used to install the Windows Home Server Connector on the other three computers and is the password I use when accessing the WHM Console in the HP MediaSmart Server Control Center.

I can ping the WHS' ip address but I cannot access the share folder (but I can from my other computers and from my computer at work). The error is "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage...etc"

Monday, January 14, 2008 10:35 PM
  • Sounds like name resolution issues, then. Just to confirm, you can't ping the WHS hostname, but you can ping its IP address?

Is this desktop on a different subnet? How is the network physically laid out?

Monday, January 14, 2008 10:41 PM
  • I can ping both the ip address and the whs hostname. This computer is on the same subnet as WHS and the rest of my home computers..

Layout.

Linksys Wireless Router    > HP MediaSmart Windows Home Server

> Papparuff Desktop (the one having the issue)

Linksys Wireless Router > Linksys 8 port switch  > Vista Ultimate computer\

> other WinXP SP2 Computer

> laptop computer (not part of WHS yet.

Monday, January 14, 2008 10:49 PM
  • The computer that is having the issue can connect to the files and harddrives I have shared out on all my other home computers.

Monday, January 14, 2008 10:51 PM
  • Hmm, odd.

I had a similar issue with one of my PCs; there's a sort of hacky work-around you can do.

Part of the problem is that if you can't auth with the server, the install will cancel and remove the client component. So if you don't let the installer cancel, you can get around it...

If I recall correctly, when you get that error message you can go into Task Manager and end the installer task/process. On reboot, the client component was working on my problem PC.

Monday, January 14, 2008 11:14 PM
  • This did not solve the problem. However, since this computer is starting to act strangely, I'm going to reinstall the OS and necessary software from scratch and then see if I can install the WHS connector.

Thanks to all to contributed to this thread.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 5:35 PM