none
Cannot read forums RRS feed

• Question

•   Anyone else having the same problem that I am? Everytime that I click on a forum link, at home or work) all I get is an Error 500 page, "Sorry, we were unable to service your request. Please try again later.". I don't get why I cannot read the posts???
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 3:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• Yes, I am having exactly the same problem!!  It's very frustrating, because so many of the forums have  been transferred to the new website, and I can't read most of the posts!

I've posted a question about this to this forum, but I have received no replies.

Is anyone else out there experiencing the same thing?

Thanks,

WTW

Monday, July 7, 2008 12:47 PM
  • Yes, I have the same issue.

Windows XP Pro, IE7.

However, using the preview post selection/arrow next to the post link works fine, and the links themselves work fine in Firefox 3.

Another reason to dump IE.
    Monday, July 7, 2008 8:04 PM
  • For the people experiencing problems, are you signed in to passport or anonymous? Once you get the Error page, what is the full url in the address bar? What url/forum are you trying to go to?

Thanks.

Rob J, Forums Dev
    Monday, July 7, 2008 8:21 PM
  • Hello Rob J (Forums dev),

On July 17, I posted this response to your post of July 7:

=========================================================

This problem occurs whether I am signed in to passport or not.

The full url of the error page is:

http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/Error/Error500.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/AjaxThreadPage.aspx

I discovered after reading the previous reply from "cori" that the problem occurs only when I click on the link for the thread; the "Preview Thread" arrow next to the post link seems to work.

==========================================================

Do you have any idea what is causing this problem??  It is very frustrating, because I can no longer use the MSDN forums.

Thanks for your help.

WTW

• Edited by WTW Thursday, July 24, 2008 5:57 PM Error 500: any solution yet?
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 7:28 PM
  •  

Hello Rob J (Forums dev),

On July 17, I posted this response to your post of July 7:

=========================================================

This problem occurs whether I am signed in to passport or not.

The full url of the error page is:

http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/Error/Error500.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/AjaxThreadPage.aspx

I discovered after reading the previous reply from "cori" that the problem occurs only when I click on the link for the thread; the "Preview Thread" arrow next to the post link seems to work.

==========================================================

Do you have any idea what is causing this problem??  It is very frustrating, because I can no longer use the MSDN forums.

Thanks for your help.

WTW

Monday, July 28, 2008 6:43 PM
  • I am having the same issue with all of the SharePoint forums on MSDN.  These forums seem to work fine, but I get that same error page when I try to open the other forums.  Come on admins... a little help here?
    Senior SharePoint Mechanic
    Monday, July 28, 2008 8:47 PM
  • Getting the same problem this morning, but only with the C# general forum.

In trying to go to http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/csharpgeneral/threads/, I get redirected to http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/Error/Error500.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/en-US/csharpgeneral/threads/

I can see threads that I looked at yesterday by using the history and can open other forums.

I have cleared my internet cache of the "Temporary Internet Files" and am running on Windows Server 2003 with SP2 using Internet Explorer 7.0 and FireFox V3 with the same errors.
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 7:17 AM
  • Same issue here... The problem seems to occur only when clicking on the main link (post title), logged in or not, or following the link from e.g. google's search results list. Clicking the "preview post" arrow image, however, successfully shows a thread preview. And that's the only way I can read *anything* on this forums. To add to that, the "Need Help with Forums (FAQ)" link also result with the 500.
    Used to be a regular poster on the old forums, now I'm finding it hard to even read the content...

Andrej
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 2:08 PM
  • I'm having the same problem as stated above, I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2, IE 7. When I click on the Main link to a post I get the Error 500 page, which is very annoying when using a search engine and then not being able to access the page itself. It works fine with Firefox 3. To read any posts in IE I'm having to just use the preview post option.

Shouldn't this problem be fixed, as a matter of urgency, at the moment I'm having to use a non Microsoft browser to view Microsoft's forums.....
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 1:14 PM
  • This same error happen to me, when I'm using Vista IE7 at home. Neither I can open a existing thread or post a new thread. For instance, when I try to open the thread: http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en/vblanguage/thread/63ce3603-0e43-49f8-8c62-a04889b6be25 . it always redirects to the error page: http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/Error/Error500.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/AjaxThreadPage.aspx. If I try to open the  Need Help with Forums? (FAQ) page, it also redirects me to: http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/Error/Error500.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/Help.aspx. These error pages are saying:Sorry, we were unable to service your request. Please try again later.

But it works fine with Vista IE7 at my office. It's OK to access any pages in this forum via FireFox3 both at home and office.

The problem is mysterious and the situation is frustrating. The problem is alive with IE but not other browsers.

It seems to result from the webbrowser, such as cookies ?

Hope you guys to fix this annoying problem as soon as possible.
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 5:03 PM
  • I thought I had narrowed the problem down to a particular thread in the C# General forums that seemed to be consistant across the people who were having issues. I see that you're having an issue with a VB thread though.

I will continue down the path of investigating this C# thread and see what I can find out.

Matt
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 5:51 PM
  • mattfras said:

I thought I had narrowed the problem down to a particular thread in the C# General forums that seemed to be consistant across the people who were having issues. I see that you're having an issue with a VB thread though.

I will continue down the path of investigating this C# thread and see what I can find out.

Matt

The recommendation to look at the "View Omeaga's Threads" link to get that error did bring it up for me as well and nobugz was probably onto something about it being somewhat post specific, but some of the ones that I was unable to read before cleared themselves up.  It is definatly not browser specific since it failed at the same times for me with both IE and Firefox.  While not ruling out cookies, my experience with it not working with Firefox makes me think it would not be cookie related since I almost never use that browser and had never used it to go to any microsoft site before I had the problems with these forums.

I have not tried this at home yet, where I do have Vista, XP, and Windows 2003 all available.

Good luck.
    Friday, August 1, 2008 6:55 AM
  • We've found the current problem, and are working on a fix. More info here: http://forums.community.microsoft.com/en-US/reportabug/thread/12d71e97-e9b4-4832-856c-019c49e4fd5c#page:2
    Friday, August 1, 2008 6:22 PM
  • Hello,

Any progress on this fix?

I've been unable to read posts on the new forum for a couple of months now.  I'd like to be able to use the new forums again.

Thanks,

WTW

Thursday, September 4, 2008 3:46 PM
  • I to am having the same problem as the OP.  It happens for me about 98% of the time that I click ANY link into the fourms (IE Not logged in).  Today I managed to get in.  I ended up on a with German listed as the lanuage.  (This happens alot.)  I changed it to English and immediately recieved the same error page the OP mentioned.  I hit back.  Got back to the page with German selected and changed to English again.  This time it worked.  I was NOT logged in at the time. 

This problem has been going on for about 1 month.  I wanted to report it sooner, but for several days, I could not get in at all and I forgot about it.

Vista Ultimate SP1 and IE 7 both current on all fixes posted to the update site WSUS pulls updates from.  I fairly sure the problem started before I upgraded to SP1.

Matt, I just read what you posted at http://forums.community.microsoft.com/en-US/reportabug/thread/12d71e97-e9b4-4832-856c-019c49e4fd5c#page:2 and that seems to indicate a damaged thread.  Not sure that is the entire problem.

1) - Somedays I can get to a post that I could not get to the day before.
    2) - As I note above, just changing the display lanuage caused a failure after I had already viewed the post.
    Thanks Roy
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 7:28 PM
  • Switching to Chrome seems to work.
    John Kane
    Friday, September 5, 2008 4:16 PM
  •  

Hello mattfras,

Any progress on this fix?

I've been unable to read posts on the new forum for a couple of months now.  I'd like to be able to use the MSDN forums again.

Thanks,

WTW

Friday, September 12, 2008 3:38 PM
  • The original problem was fixed. If there's something else going on, we'll need to look into that.
    Friday, September 12, 2008 5:17 PM
  • Hello Matt,

Nothing has changed concerning this problem since I first reported it several months ago.   The problem is the same as reported on this thread by "waday" on July 01, 2008.

When I try to view a post on any forum, I get

Error 500  Sorry, we were unable to service your request.  Please try again later.

The "Preview Thread" arrow works OK, but if I click on the post link itself, I get the error page.

Thank you,

WTW

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:22 PM
  • I had the same problem earlier today in IE 7.  Clearing out my cookies and temporary internet files seems to have fixed it for me.

- Doug

Friday, September 19, 2008 7:01 PM
  • Thank you Doug.  That fixed the problem.

WTW
    Monday, September 22, 2008 3:29 PM
  • This was caused by buggy cookies and was fixed (by various updates over 3+ years). Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Thursday, February 9, 2012 6:51 AM
    Owner