PP3 Storage Pool Balancing RRS feed

• Question

• I will be implementing an Acer Easystore WHS this weekend at a friends house.     In the past (PP1?) there was an issue where if the System Drive got filled due to lack of drive space in the pool, once more disk was added to the pool the data would never be migrated off the System Drive.  

Can somebody confirm if this logic has been addressed with PP3?    

Thanks!
    Flad
    Friday, February 12, 2010 1:29 PM

Answers

• I will be implementing an Acer Easystore WHS this weekend at a friends house.     In the past (PP1?) there was an issue where if the System Drive got filled due to lack of drive space in the pool, once more disk was added to the pool the data would never be migrated off the System Drive.  

Thanks!
    Flad
    It hasn't changed.  Once the data is on any drive (including the primary), WHS doesn't move the data to another drive unless absolutely necessary (which is really only going to happen when you tell WHS to remove a drive from the storage pool).
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:07 AM

All replies

• Yes it's been addressed, I think in PP2 but certainly in PP3.

--
    • Edited by Al West Friday, February 12, 2010 5:32 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Al West Friday, February 12, 2010 5:32 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:07 AM
    Friday, February 12, 2010 2:06 PM
  • WHS PP2/PP3 no longer use the system disk as a landing zone. Data goes straight to the storage drives.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 3:11 PM
  • But for those still using PP1, no data is moved off the system drive unless it hits the DE 20 Gb threshold. I doubt anyone is still using PP1, but if so, you'll want to run the Drive Balancer utility
    Friday, February 12, 2010 10:35 PM

Thanks!
    Flad
    It hasn't changed.  Once the data is on any drive (including the primary), WHS doesn't move the data to another drive unless absolutely necessary (which is really only going to happen when you tell WHS to remove a drive from the storage pool).
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:07 AM