Sudden sharp drop in rankings. RRS feed

• Question

• I have been tracking the ranking of my site (at http://www.rcrt.co.uk ) for some time - I have noticed that over approx the last month there has been a fairly sharp drop in the search rankings for some keywords - in some cases they have dropped 10-20 positions, and some are now outside the top 100.

This appears to be the case for both uk msn and live.com searches, whereas rankings on other engines have mostly gone up over the same period. Is there any way that it is possible to find out why this might have happened ?

Thanks,

Andrew.

Saturday, July 26, 2008 3:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• From you and others' comments, it sounds like there was a change to our ranking algo within the last few weeks. If you concentrate on our Guidelines for successful indexing and ranking blog post, you should see your site increase its rankings.

Brett 

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:32 PM
  • Although I cannot rule it out, given the magnitude of the changes that have happened I do not thing that an algo change is a plausible explanation.

I am also reasonably familiar with this kind of thing, and also with all of the relevant guidelines for webmasters.

Although I cannot confirm it, I think a much more likely explanation is due to some DNS errors that occured a few months ago. For a while an alternate domain was incorrectly pointing to one of my servers - in a virtual hosting environment - which resulted in the same site appearing in two different places - once under the correct domain, and once as a clone under an alternate domain. This was spotted by Google and I fixed it.

This problem could have tripped two kinds of obvious alarm / penalty:

(i) duplicate site content (approx 300 pages appeared identically in two places for a while),

(ii) Spam link increment detector - the site contains a large number of (absolute url) intra-site links - when the clone site appeared, this would have looked as if a large number of backlinks had suddenly appeared from nowhere.

I think that this is a much more likely explanation, is it possible to check whether I am right ?

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 8:25 PM
  • my site (hannahmontanalyrics.net) went from top 10 to not appear
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 10:33 PM