none
Publishing dates for VS 2010 developer certification books RRS feed

• General discussion

• Thought I'd pass on this information from Microsoft Press...

70-511: Windows Apps – February

70-513: WCF – not planned

70-515: Web Apps – November

70-516: Data – February

The exam objectives (and the exams themselves) have been late, this cycle, for a variety of reasons.

Thanks for your interest in Microsoft Press!

Sent: Friday, August 06, 2010 2:06 AM
    To: MS Press Book Proposals
    Subject: books covering exams 70-511, 70-513, 70-516 and 70-518

Hello, when will we be able to buy the books related to the VisualStudio 2010 developer certification? Specifically the books covering exams 70-511, 70-513, 70-516 and 70-518?

regards,
    Kristian

Monday, August 9, 2010 8:10 AM

All replies

• Thank you for sharing this information!

With kind regards,

Konrad

Monday, August 9, 2010 9:15 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Kristian. I just made it sticky, so everyone would know.

Keep sharing. :-)

Rubel Khan - MY BLOG!
    If your question was truly answered, please mark it as Answered and Vote as helpful. Thank you in advance.
    Monday, August 9, 2010 2:53 PM
  • Not good!!!

How can I take the exam without a single book on this topic esp 70-516..................

Any suggestions on preparing for 70-516

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 1:32 PM
  • Starting point is always the description of the exam:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-516&locale=en-us#tab2

Starting from there, you should simply go through the topics and play with them. So the first thing is:
    "Map entities and relationships by using the Entity Data Model.
    This objective may include but is not limited to: using the Visual Designer, building an entity data model from an existing database, managing complex entity mappings in EDMX, editing EDM XML, mapping to stored procedures, creating user-defined associations between entities, generating classes with inheritance and mapping them to tables
    This objective does not include: using MetadataWorkspace"

So go and use the Entity Data Model. Read about the classes that are envolved. The MSDN Library is a great resource. And that way you go through all topics ...

But if you want to, you can buy other books about the topics and read them. But I would always play around as much as possible.

And when you do not just want to do it that way because you are not sure, if xoyu prepared yourself the right way: Microsoft gives links to measureup and selftestsoftware. I am quite sure, that they have some preparation stuff already.

I hope that helped.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Thursday, September 9, 2010 6:28 AM
    Answerer
  • I would like to confirm the validity of studying the Skills Measured sections for the Exams.

As of this posting I have past 3 .NET 4.0 tests. 2 were beta tests back in June. (Gotta love free tests) Most recently I passed the WCF 70-513 4.0 test studying nothing but MSDN articles. 

I've learned over the years of taking tests that all the skills measured map to MSDN articles. This comes from using MeasureUp.com practice tests; all the questions have explanations at the bottom linking to MSDN articles. 

The WCF 70-513 test took me a month of studying.

Here was my strategy

1. create an outline of the skills measured. I use Google .docs for my outline so any computer Im on I can reach my information. Here is my outline and links shared. Its an example only; I removed all my links to MSDN articles and left it intentionally messy. 

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=10jZ4-gpD5icJCFmOqrmLqN_7-CmVeM_xONSzg0SFe5g

2. fill in details as I studied each one.

Im happy to report after studying all that there were no suprises on the test and I passed with a 747. Every question I was able to understand and make a good decision on.

Good Luck.

Saturday, October 16, 2010 11:06 PM
  • I agree with above, but buying a measureup.com test could save you a lot of time and also give you practice at questions (I am in no way affiliated with Measureup but they are Microsoft approved).

You can then easily create a study guide linking to the MSDN.

Having said that WCF has not changed much between 3.5 and 4.0, so you could also buy the 70-503 microsoft training guide, which includes Measureup tests and a discount voucher and looking up new features in 4.0.

70-516 is trickier, I would buy a book on Entity Framework and study and understands its features if you are not using it in a project currently.  Then buy the measureup tests as above to get exam ready.

Geoff

MCPD * 6, MCITP * 4, MCTS * 11

Monday, October 18, 2010 12:03 PM
  • hi,

There is a Book on Exam 70-516.

70-516: Accessing Data with Microsoft .Nest Framework 4 (TS) by Glenn Johnson.

Can anyone give me the link to download this Ebook?

Its very urgent.

Monday, May 2, 2011 8:13 AM
  • I am also looking for the same (70-516 exam book), please share if you find the book.

Thanks,

Krishna

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 8:28 AM
  • Hmm. My thoughts are:

- Authors write books to earn money (mostly at least)
    - books are printed to be sold.

So just running around and asking for "free downloads" is simply that crap that I would like to give you names in here (but I can behave).

I am just wondering - you two was complaining, why it takes so long for the authors to finish the books? Or why some exams do not have such books?

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780735627390/ just shows, that the book can be preordered and at least I didn't see an option to buy an ebook. So this is book is still not out which prooves that you even wasn't bothered to check that first.

Shame on you two, Krischna and NimuVini.

Without any greetings,

Konrad

PS: I am not working as an author but this behaviour is simply ignorant and evil in my eyes.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 9:29 AM
    Answerer