Altering a logon screen RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone:

I'm writing a custom program in C++/MFC (not intended for public distribution) that will implement a countdown timer that will track user activity in a specific manner. The program will also put the system into a sleep mode if the timer runs out. The program should also display a countdown timer with how much time is left before the system enters a sleep mode. I know how to display it on a user desktop, but I don't know how can one display it during a Windows logon screen.

So can someone suggest ways or maybe a sample code of how to alter the logon screen for my situation?
    • Moved by Yi Feng Li Monday, September 27, 2010 3:17 AM (From:Visual C++ General)
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 8:15 PM

Answers

• Hi ahmd0,

As far as I know, there is no API to achieve your task. VC++ General is not a proper place for your concern. I guess Windows UI forum, Windows SDK forum or Security Forum may be better. I’m moving this thread to Where is the Forum For…? Forum. It helps to get advice on where the best place to ask this question.

Cheers,

Yi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, September 27, 2010 3:16 AM

All replies

• Explain your motivation for creating this program.
    Perhaps if we know what you are trying to accomplish
    and why. we may be able to suggest a less intrusive
    solution.

- Wayne
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 8:21 PM
  • Thanks for your quick reply. The motivation comes from a customer that wants me to implement it this way, so I can't tell you more than that. They want my program to track a user activity (mouse and keyboard) and also see if a certain process is running, that will also manifest as activity for my program. If none of the above is registered the timer will do the countdown (say, the initial value is 30 minutes). It may be reset by any of the activity above, and if not, the program will run a custom script and put the system into a sleep mode. One of the stipulations is that a user should see how much time is left before the system enters a sleep mode.

Hope this answers your question?
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 8:31 PM
  • Hi ahmd0,

As far as I know, there is no API to achieve your task. VC++ General is not a proper place for your concern. I guess Windows UI forum, Windows SDK forum or Security Forum may be better. I’m moving this thread to Where is the Forum For…? Forum. It helps to get advice on where the best place to ask this question.

Cheers,

Yi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, September 27, 2010 3:16 AM