Windows Live OneCare cannot continue RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have been running WLOC for some time, but after the recent updating, an odd problem is now showing up. My WinXP system has two users, after logging off one user and logging on to the other, I get an error message:

"Windows Live OneCare cannot continue
    The Windows Live OneCare service is not working or has been stopped. To correct this problem, try restarting your computer. If the problem persists, contact support."

Clicking the "contact support" link didn't help any, it gave irrelevant information.

Clicking "Start/All programs/Windows Live OneCare" starts up OneCare and it runs normally. Restarting was not required, and restarting did not solve the problem.

This is more a minor irritant than a major problem, but still, I'd like it fixed, please.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 12:12 AM

Answers

•  

Alot of people are having the same problem, it started with the most recent update to version 2.0.

This issue could be caused if one of the following services is disabled or not running. The workaround is to enable these services : 

1. Terminal services
    2. Network Location Awareness
    3. Network Store Interface Service
    4. Network List Services

Go to Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services

Look for the above services in the list and change them to Automatic from manual or disabled and then start them if they are not listed as "Started."

If this doesnt work please check for the answer in support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Thursday, January 24, 2008 12:18 AM

All replies

•  

Alot of people are having the same problem, it started with the most recent update to version 2.0.

This issue could be caused if one of the following services is disabled or not running. The workaround is to enable these services : 

1. Terminal services
    2. Network Location Awareness
    3. Network Store Interface Service
    4. Network List Services

Go to Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services

Look for the above services in the list and change them to Automatic from manual or disabled and then start them if they are not listed as "Started."

If this doesnt work please check for the answer in support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Thursday, January 24, 2008 12:18 AM
  •  

I checked the "Services", and found the following:
    "Terminal Services" was started "manual", it is required for multiple users.
    "Network Location Awareness" was started "manual".

This system isn't part of a LAN, the only Ethernet connection is for the DSL adapter.
    "Network Store Interface Service" and "Network List Services" were both missing - no reference listed at all.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 12:42 AM
  • Set them both to automatic then restart your computer.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:05 AM
  • Does oneCare start normaly on the first use account then when you switch users it doesnt work? Or does it not work on either user?

Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:09 AM
  • The problem usually appears when switching from one user to the other, however it also popped up this morning when starting up after hibernation. In both cases, I could start OneCare manually without any problems.

BTW, I did configure those two services to start "automatic", but the problem remains.

Friday, January 25, 2008 9:01 PM
  •  

when I go to administrative tools and click "services" nothing happens- hourglass and no action.

also I cannot run media player- it locks up after a sharing settings warning, my printers are no longer installed and I cannot run the ad a printer wizard, I get a spooler not running... error, other things are suddenly screwy as well I am assuming they are all related to the onecare issue.

Friday, January 25, 2008 11:22 PM
  •  Ceriman wrote:

The problem usually appears when switching from one user to the other, however it also popped up this morning when starting up after hibernation. In both cases, I could start OneCare manually without any problems.

BTW, I did configure those two services to start "automatic", but the problem remains.

Since you can start OneCare manually after the initial failure, your problem appears to be resources and startup order. This should be fixed in the next update.

A workaround that has been reported to work, besides your manual startup after the initial failure, is to boot the PC and not log in for a minute or two. Then log into Windows. Some startup programs aren't starting until after login, but the OneCare services start with the computer.

-steve

Saturday, January 26, 2008 2:21 AM
  •  Frankthebuilder wrote:

when I go to administrative tools and click "services" nothing happens- hourglass and no action.

also I cannot run media player- it locks up after a sharing settings warning, my printers are no longer installed and I cannot run the ad a printer wizard, I get a spooler not running... error, other things are suddenly screwy as well I am assuming they are all related to the onecare issue.

Since you have multiple issues and can't even access Services, I recommend that you contact support for help, Frankthebuilder.

-steve
    Saturday, January 26, 2008 2:23 AM