none
Landing at the top level of the Forums when using a saved URL to a forum within RRS feed

• Question

• I have the OneCare forums group saved as a favorite (in IE): http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsliveonecare/ 
    Clicking on that link, no matter if I am signed in with my LiveID or not, I invariably land at the top level of the forums here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories/

If I then click my saved Favorite once again, I end up at the correct location.

This may be the reason for the significant reduction in traffic to the OneCare forums since the move to the new platform. People clicking the old forum URL from another page (I have been unsuccessful in getting someone to change the URL in OneCare help or the official OneCare pages) will likely be dropped at the top level of the forums without a clue that they need to scroll down to see the OneCare forum topic folders.

I *should* never be dropped at the forum top level if my URL was valid for the sub-forum or topic folder, nor should I land at the top level when being redirected from a search result to an old post or other saved URL to the forums.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, January 5, 2009 6:53 PM

Answers

• Interesting. I have this consistently on multiple machines. I'll have to try blowing away the cookies to see if that helps. On the other hand, perhaps it is due to the LiveID Sign In Assistant, which I assume is storing the cookies.
    -steve
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 7:13 PM
  • Steve, I see this quite often. What works for me when this happens is to select the shortcut a second time.
    Jim
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 7:57 PM
  • Yep, that's the workaround, but it shouldn't be needed. I do suspect that this is *not* a cookie or profile thing with a LiveID, but just a glitch in the authentication process for the site. And, if so, it needs to be fixed since I'm sure it is also affecting others being sent to the top level of a product forum via an external link.
    -steve
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 1:28 PM
  • WPee2 said:

Hi Steve,
    Would you please help me to the proper web forum location for the following answers to my ONE CARE question (problem conditions).

I responded to WPee2 via email. The proper forum topic folder for this question would be:
    Windows Live OneCare Install and Activate

-steve
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 12:37 AM

All replies

• Odd, takes me right there.  FF3 or IE7.  Signed in or not.   The "social" part of the URL has been fingered before as detrimental.  Not sure.
    Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 12:55 AM
  • I have seen this happen on one of my machines (though, not all) before. I beleive it has somethig to do with malformed LiveID login cookies.
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 5:55 PM
  • Interesting. I have this consistently on multiple machines. I'll have to try blowing away the cookies to see if that helps. On the other hand, perhaps it is due to the LiveID Sign In Assistant, which I assume is storing the cookies.
    -steve
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 7:13 PM
  • Steve, I see this quite often. What works for me when this happens is to select the shortcut a second time.
    Jim
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 7:57 PM
  • Yep, that's the workaround, but it shouldn't be needed. I do suspect that this is *not* a cookie or profile thing with a LiveID, but just a glitch in the authentication process for the site. And, if so, it needs to be fixed since I'm sure it is also affecting others being sent to the top level of a product forum via an external link.
    -steve
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 1:28 PM
  • Hi Steve,
    Would you please help me to the proper web forum location for the following answers to my ONE CARE question (problem conditions).

1. At this time my one and only computer says I am using the FREE TRIAL version. Like everyone I started with the trial download. Then Purchased the $50 for one year. Then I renewed that with another $50 just one month before it was due to expire. I have not let a laps in ONE CARE COMPUTER PROTECTION & SUPPORT.

2. One morning SHORTLY following my second $50 re-newal subscription my computer FAILED TO BOOT . I spent hours trying to get proper support from Microsoft ONE CARE.
    The next few days were spent RE-LOADING the Windows O/S and Applications because the ONE CARE BACK-UPS were incomplete and would not properly reload or restore.

3. The ONE CARE WIZARD that is referenced in the HOW-TO-INSTALL the registration does not register my PAID SUBSCRIPTION. I have been unable to get one computer registered and no way is it gone to function on 3 computers as it were advertised for $50 for 1 year.

I have found non-Microsoft web sites that discuss these and other problems, But is there Microsoft ONE CARE web site that allows for PAID USE INPUT.

Thank You
    wpotter@live.com
     ID 0003000865E04EF

Monday, January 12, 2009 5:46 PM
  • WPee2 said:

Hi Steve,

I responded to WPee2 via email. The proper forum topic folder for this question would be:
    Windows Live OneCare Install and Activate

-steve
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 12:37 AM