Running virtualization solution on WHS 2011? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm using Logitech's Alert video security solution and the thing only works on XP / 7, but not on 2008/WHS.

They have no plans to make it work on 2008/WHS (I've asked), and I already have the WHS running 24x7 and have no desire to have a second system running 24x7.

Is there a way to run on my WHS box a virtual XP instance for the sole purpose of installing Logitech's Alert software?

I've searched and could not find much.

If possible, is this a good idea? The Alert s/w is pretty resource intensive (on a core duo solo laptop with W7 it's really taxing the system and keeps the processor at 100% at times - a lot of times). My WHS is running on an i3-2100 server with 4 GB RAM.

TIA for any pointers!

George

Saturday, January 21, 2012 6:16 PM

All replies

• Given what you say about how the software you're looking into is taxing that laptop (though you should realize that laptops are not high performance computing devices, even when they're first introduced), I would not try to run it in a VM on your server. While it's likely not to perform much worse overall (and CPU usage is likely to be lower due to the more modern processor) I/O is always an issue with virtualization tools, and I suspect that part of your performance issue today is I/O related.

If you decide you would like to try it anyway, you should be able to use a VMWare solution, or VirtualBox, or other technology of your preference. (Note: HyperV is not available in Windows Home Server 2011; it can function as a guest, but not a host.)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 10:50 PM