Selective Synchronization RRS feed

• Question

• I have set up sync services to synch a SQL CE database with SQL Server Express.  Is there an easy way to selectively synch only a subset of the tables in the database.  For example, my database has about 20-25 tables...suppose I only want to synch 3-4 tables in a certain situation and not all of them?  I have looked at SyncGroups and it doesn't appear to do that.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    • Moved by Max Wang_1983 Wednesday, April 20, 2011 9:45 PM Forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Technical Discussion [ReadOnly])
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 6:02 PM

Answers

• Could you try manually adding reference to the dll's?

%program files%/microsoft sync framework/2.0/runtime/ado.net/v3.0/%cpu arch%/Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.dll
    %program files%/microsoft sync framework/2.0/runtime/ado.net/v3.0/%cpu arch%/Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.Server.dll
    %program files%/microsoft sync framework/2.0/runtime/ado.net/v3.0/%cpu arch%/Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.SqlServer.dll
    %program files%/microsoft sync framework/2.0/runtime/ado.net/v3.0/%cpu arch%/Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.SqlServerCe.dll

Patrick
    • Proposed as answer by Patrick S. Lee Sunday, December 13, 2009 4:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by chuckc3 Monday, December 14, 2009 4:08 PM
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 1:12 AM

All replies

• I believe you are asking how to sync only subset of tables within a database for a scope. within DbSyncScopeDescription class, there is member called Tables.

This is a collection which you can modify to select tables which you would like to include in sync scope.

Hope this helps,

Patrick
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 7:50 PM
  • Great!  That was exactly what I was looking for!

Only one problem...the DbSyncScopeDescription class doesn't seem to be included in the version of Sync Services I have.  I looked for it in:

Microsoft.Synchronization.Data

and it's not there.  I know it exists because I found examples on the web of people using it.

I am using VS 2008 and I have .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 installed and I have all the latest updates.  I attempted to download the Sync Framework v2.0 SDK to make sure I had that and it told me I already have a newer version.  I have downloaded the Sync Services redistributable.

Any idea what I'm missing?

Thanks,

Chuck
    Chuck
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:47 PM
  • So, I apologize in advance for the confustion. From what you describe, you are using OCS v1, in which there is no DbSyncScopeDescription class. Ignore what I said above.

Instead, what you can do is simply on SyncAgent, there is a property called Configuration. This Configuration also contains a property called SyncTables.

This is also a collection of tables to be included in this sync. Only add the SyncTables that you intend to sync.

Hope this helps.

Patrick 

Thursday, December 10, 2009 11:45 PM
  • OK, I'll give that a shot.  I thought I had the latest version of Sync Services...if not, can you please advise how I get the latest version?

Thanks,
    Chuck
    Friday, December 11, 2009 12:03 AM
  • Sync Services can be downloaded from this page. In particular, the DatabaseProviders msi contains the latest database synchronization classes.

Microsoft Sync Framework 2.0 Redistributable Package:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=109db36e-cdd0-4514-9fb5-b77d9cea37f6

To look at samples, documentation on classes and etc, download SDK as well:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=89adbb1e-53ff-41b5-ba17-8e43a2e66254

Here are the sample gallery on the web:
    http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/sync

In particular, the one you might be interested in is this one:
    Database Sync - SQL Server and SQL Server Compact (using DatabaseProviders)
    http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ProjectName=sync&ReleaseId=3422

Hope this helps.

FYI: if you intend to use OCS v1, Visual Studio wizard should allow you to select the tables you want to sync. If you try to do this manually in code, then the above reply is valid. Also, you need to add SyncAdapters for those tables to DbServerSyncProvider.SyncAdapters property.

Patrick
    Friday, December 11, 2009 12:35 AM
  • Thanks, Patrick...you've been VERY helpful.

I still have one problem...I downloaded and installed everything on the page you referenced:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=89adbb1e-53ff-41b5-ba17-8e43a2e66254

and I still don't see that class under Microsoft.Synchronization.Data   I also searched for it in the object browser and found no trace of it there.

I still must be missing an installation.

Thanks,

Chuck
    Friday, December 11, 2009 2:29 AM
  • You need to install

Microsoft Sync Framework 2.0 Redistributable Package: Particularly, the Synchronization and DatabaseProviders msi

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=109db36e-cdd0-4514-9fb5-b77d9cea37f6

SDK only contains documenation, samples, and etc...

Thanks,

Patrick
    Friday, December 11, 2009 6:38 PM
  • I have installed all the downloads from the reference you provided and it's still not there.

Chuck
    Friday, December 11, 2009 10:40 PM
  • Could you try manually adding reference to the dll's?

%program files%/microsoft sync framework/2.0/runtime/ado.net/v3.0/%cpu arch%/Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.dll
    %program files%/microsoft sync framework/2.0/runtime/ado.net/v3.0/%cpu arch%/Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.Server.dll
    %program files%/microsoft sync framework/2.0/runtime/ado.net/v3.0/%cpu arch%/Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.SqlServer.dll
    %program files%/microsoft sync framework/2.0/runtime/ado.net/v3.0/%cpu arch%/Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.SqlServerCe.dll

Patrick
    • Proposed as answer by Patrick S. Lee Sunday, December 13, 2009 4:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by chuckc3 Monday, December 14, 2009 4:08 PM
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 1:12 AM
  • I was able to manually add these references to my project file and I can now see the v2.0 objects I was missing.  FYI, I tried uninstalling all versions of Sync Framework and reinstalling v2.0 and it still didn't register these references.  I had to add them manually.

Thanks,

Chuck
    Chuck
    Monday, December 14, 2009 4:08 PM
  • I am continuing to have some really screwy versioning problems with Sync Services on my system...I have attempted to cleanup the references, get rid of version 1.0 completely and only use version 2.0.  I thought I had switched over everything to version 2.0, but when I attempt to compile the project, I get the following message:

Found conflicts between different versions of the same dependent assembly

It's definitely related to Sync services, because when I click on this error, it asks me if I want to fix these conflicts by adding binding redirect records in the app.config file.  If I answer "Yes" to that, it inserts the following in the app.config file for one of my assemblies:

<runtime>
    		<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
    			<dependentAssembly>
    				<assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Synchronization.Data" publicKeyToken="89845DCD8080CC91" culture="neutral"/>
    				<bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.0.0.0-3.0.0.0" newVersion="3.0.0.0"/>
    			</dependentAssembly>
    		</assemblyBinding>
    	</runtime>
    I have checked all of my assemblies and there is only one assembly that directly references Microsoft.Synchronization and I'm sure I've set that one to only reference v2.0.  Some other item I'm using must be referencing an older v1.0 reference - I don't think I'm referencing it directly.  Any thoughts on how I can resolve this?

Thanks,

Chuck
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:05 PM