none
Information at the site group level is not sufficient - need more than "last reply by". RRS feed

• Question

• If I got to the page (http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/en-US/tag/sharepoint/) which displays all the different SharePoint newsgroups; what they are for; and a continually updated piece of information about them, I get a quick overview as to whether there has been any action there since I was last in. 

I.e. I see at a glance if anything has changed since my last pass and only need to go to those specific forums where something has happened.

At least that is what I thought was the situation.

Here's an example showing why that isn't the case.

SharePoint - Accessibility (You are a moderator of this forum)
    Topics about improving accessibility and usability for the physically challenged.
    last reply by Mike Walsh MVP on July 25, 2008 9:11:02 AM GMT+03:00

Clear enough - or seems to be - the last post was from me so therefore nothing has happened since I last was there.

WRONG.

Since then there have been two new threads but because nobody has replied to them that "last reply" information stayed the same.

Now as a Moderator I'm supposed especially to watch out for messages that haven't had a reply, yet these messages have been lying there for a while because the forum software was giving me misleading information.

------------------------------

What I NEED

Two lines instead of one.

Last new thread started by XXXX at ........
    Last reply by YYYY at ....

What I would LIKE

Last new thread "<subject of thread> by XXXX at .....
    Last reply to "<subject of thread> by YYYY at ....

That way Moderators could do the job they are supposed to do which concentrates more on answering questions no-one else has answered than on being aware that someone has written a reply to something (where that something isn't specified).

You have all this information. Use it !! 

Mike Walsh

P.S. You have space for that extra line available. But if you feel that you only want to have three lines, drop the repetitive description of the forum. That's on top of the forum page anyway and once you've read it you know it and don't need to see it (ever) again.
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 2:00 PM

All replies

• One nice thing about the new forums is you can get filtered RSS feeds (filtered by not answered, or not replied to) per forum. It would seem that if they are providing that in RSS it wouln't be rocket science to provide it at the group level.
    Randy Drisgill | The Mossman Blog | SharePoint Branding Services
    Saturday, August 9, 2008 8:10 PM
  • Mike:

I'm not sure that this is related to what you are saying, but one thing I have asked for in the general forum view is the ability to sort by "Most Recent Activity" as as well as by "Most Recent Post" or "Most Recent Thread".  "Most Recent Activity" would include things like someone marking/proposing as answer, voting, editing, everything.

For me "marking as answer" is the one I really miss. Call me shallow, but I always have a tab open to my entry on "Browse Users". From time to time, I open this tab, make a note of my point score, and refresh the page. Great, I've gained 40 points. Switch over to My Threads and there is no recent activity, so there is no way to tell where those points came from.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, August 11, 2008 5:19 PM