cant broadcast from webcam RRS feed

• Question

• recently added a logitec webcam to our pc, it comes on works, but cant broadcast to others. we are wondering if our firewall is not letting it broadcast out from our computer. anybody have any idea how to fix this problem?  thks

Sunday, June 22, 2008 11:29 PM

Answers

• One way to determine if it is the firewall is to turn off the firewall and see if that resolves the issue. If the firewall is off and the issue persists it wouldn't be a firewall issue. If the firewall is causing the issue see this Microsoft Knowledge Base article on how to open a port or enable a protocol - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944163/en-us

Monday, June 23, 2008 12:15 AM

All replies

• One way to determine if it is the firewall is to turn off the firewall and see if that resolves the issue. If the firewall is off and the issue persists it wouldn't be a firewall issue. If the firewall is causing the issue see this Microsoft Knowledge Base article on how to open a port or enable a protocol - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944163/en-us

Monday, June 23, 2008 12:15 AM
  • I dont want to be a smart ***. but DUH! how about giving this person some real definitive exact answer. I would bet dollars to donuts that they can figure that if turning off the firewall fixes the issue then that is the problem. but this is not going to solve the issue. This is a waste of a post. The more I read the posts in this thread makes me not want to even start to deal with MS or this application. It has no settings for even turning off the firewall untill next reboot. only time limits. Limiting thats the issue with this app. the firewall cannot be adjusted very precisly. very few options. and the options that are there are as simple minded as the responce by JimR1. I am assuming Jim works for MS and is trying to help. I may be incorrect. but anyway. I just filed a tech support issue ticket. MS has no CHAT. whats up with that. They cannot use Citrix or whatever to connect to a users pc and help them? I just quit Norton because I kept getting Viruses even with Norton on full blast. But they do have excellent tech support , all the tools, chat, connect, phone, and emal. MS seems to want to lock a user into "help" which is like getting voicemail type help from your bank when you need a question answerd that is not in the telephone "help" menu. and you yell "AGENT" into the telephone trying to get a living human.

If the answer to all these posts was in "help"a they would not be posting.

and this is MS so I thought they would be better than Norton etc. I have to choose another virus app and I do not have the time to deal with emails that really just put off , asking for more info. etc. I need a tech who knows thier stuff and can connect to my pc and fix it, set it up etc. Dell does it.

I am put off , excuse me . but I got three viruses in as many months and this the third time I had to do a Factory image restore for my Dell because of Norton internet security 2008 not stoping a virus. I used trend micro to scan when my pc started acting up again and it found the trojan. but the damage was done.

and I go to the same sites all the time. like netflix, netzero etc. verizon. I do not go to any off the wall sites or adult ***. I really dont know how I got the virus. The last one corrupted a Morpheus file. and of course Norton was scanning all downloads, email, morepheus, my download program etc.

well that it for me. I got to contact dell now about another totally diff issue.

about my dvd cd reader not reading a data disc after i made it and ejected it and it worked , closed it etc I checked it at the time by ejecting and reinserting and it read it. then a month later it will not see it and demands to treat it as a blank disk. and this is unacceptable. thank God for the cruizer micro and my other drives. well later and good luck on your issues.

D.  ps i just found out you cant copy and paste this message.except in preview.

more time i do not have. I have got to go . finally

Saturday, June 28, 2008 9:51 AM
  • You are incorrect about quite a few things.

"I would bet dollars to donuts that they can figure that if turning off the firewall fixes the issue then that is the problem"

I would bet dollars to donuts that if the OP had turned off the firewall the post would have read something like "The One Care firewall is blocking my Logitech webcam".

"It has no settings for even turning off the firewall untill next reboot. only time limits"

Every firewall should have this feature. People forget to turn things back on. In my view, a little nagging from One Care is a better option than allowing someone to mistakenly leave their computer unprotected.

"are as simple minded as the responce by JimR1. I am assuming Jim works for MS"

Responses are based on the information provided in a post. I can't assume that a poster has taken any actions to troubleshoot an issue beyond what is stated in a post nor can I assume the level of technical expertise anyone has. Was any software installed with the webcam? Is it working properly? Is it configured correctly? Is the issue not with the computer with the webcam but with the computer attempting to view the video signal? If I make a bunch of assumptions based on two short sentences, am I really helping? I do not work for Microsoft, I volunteer my time here because I like One Care and I enjoy helping.

"I just filed a tech support issue ticket. MS has no CHAT"

Actually paid subscribers have the option of e-mail, live chat, or phone support. I agree the support flow is a bit convoluted but it's not that hard to get what you need with a little patience.

"I just quit Norton because I kept getting Viruses even with Norton on full blast"

No antimalware product will protect you from every malware every time. In the end, each computer user must bear some responsibility for safety.

"If the answer to all these posts was in "help"a they would not be posting".

Answers to most of these posts can be found in the help files.

"asking for more info. etc. I need a tech who knows thier stuff and can connect to my pc and fix it, set it up etc"

If you think providing more information to help find a solution to a problem is unnecessary, you need a psychic hotline not tech support.

Saturday, June 28, 2008 1:41 PM