locked
PS 2010 Special Characters - has behaviour changed? RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am importing large "legacy" plans. Task descriptions are extensive and include full range of "special' characters. In PS 2010 I am not immediately seeing any problems. I can save and publish plans, and the cube builds successfully. So I am assuming MS have improved this behaviour.

    I have a nagging doubt though because some of the plans crash on saving, which I am investigating.

    I have generally saved these plans to xml format before bringing them into project server.

    Are special characters (used in task names) a problem?

    rgds

    Mike

     

     

    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 7:46 AM

Answers

  • I think there are still some issues with special characters especially those which might be interpreted as operators. I think I ran into this a while ago, but can't remember the specifics. I recommend continuing to avoid them if possible.
    Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:36 PM

All replies

  • Hi Sleekstone,

    Hi haven't seen any issues with this at all.  From memory, the issue used to be regarding the OLAP cubes in SQL 2000, but I think these have all been resolved (I've seen lots of plans written in Russian recently, these are full of (IMHO) strange characters.


    Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 11:10 AM
  • I think there are still some issues with special characters especially those which might be interpreted as operators. I think I ran into this a while ago, but can't remember the specifics. I recommend continuing to avoid them if possible.
    Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:36 PM
  • hi Jack

    The plans are large and the effort to remove special characters is non-trivial so I will continue with fingers crossed.

    rgds

    Mike

     

    Thursday, October 28, 2010 7:37 AM
  • I should mention that SharePoint sync chokes on funky characters in the task
    title.  It converts everything to SharePoint list items, so things like spaces
    before or after the task name cause issues.
     
    Not exceedingly relevant, but worthy of note.
     
     

    Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:14 AM
  • Usefull to note

    Thanks Andrew

    Monday, November 1, 2010 9:42 AM
  • Hi Mike

    Yes Using Special Characters is Definetly not a good idea in the first everything seems to be fine . But later on it will be a problem in Publishing the plans . When we give Publish to any plan . That option goes and publishing each line by line . So this will not be a good idea . I had the article which microsft relased . I am not able to fine that . But i would suggest to use "_" instead of space and not any other special characters even in the plan name

    Regards

    Umesh

    Thursday, November 22, 2012 5:52 AM