HP EX47x Home Servers Now Shipping as of 11-17-2007 RRS feed

All replies

• Thanks for the tip!

I had mine backordered through Amazon.com.  It had an estimated delivery date of mid December.  I placed an order on Saturday, and sure enough, I now have a fed-ex tracking number!

Dan

Monday, November 19, 2007 11:46 AM
  • Yes, I cancelled my Amazon order and ordered through HP this weekend.  I also have my FedEx tracking number this morning.  NOTWITHSTANDING, CompUSA has the EX470 advertised for $499 ($100 off).  Perhaps I could have waited a few weeks for the savings .....  Nah!

Monday, November 19, 2007 5:00 PM
  • well, the hp price was 559, not 599, so its only $60 more. I just figured I did not want to run around and go hunting for this thing.
    Monday, November 19, 2007 6:45 PM
  • The $100 off at CompUSA is no more - Full Price now.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 4:42 PM
  • You can catch the EX470 on the COMPUSA website on SUNDAY (when the ad comes out) for $499.

MID-DAY its regular price.

I ordered one early on Sunday morning.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 1:11 AM
  • I just got mine in tonight.  I'm really impressed with how small this thing is.  I was expecting something a little larger I guess.  I've already ripped the 500GB drive out and added 3 WD 1TB jobs.  They sure packed a lot into one small package.  The load of the operating system through the server recovery disk was totally painless.  The only thing I'm unhappy about so far is that one of the fans has a slight whine to it.  Overall, it is no louder than my desktop computer.

I would be interested to hear if others detect a whining noise from theirs.

David

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 4:09 AM
  •  

i too just got mine tonight (placed order on friday with ground shipping - not bad!) and just finished spending the past few hours setting it up on my network (which was made more difficult by still having a working RC1). I just have to say i absolutly looooooove it so far. And it is so much smaller than i expected.

In regard to the whining, its something. not a lot but just a little bit. Its probably not much more (if more is acurate) than any other one of my computers. If it starts to annoy you, just dont put it on your night table!!

jpearl

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 4:35 AM
  •  Dodad wrote:

I just got mine in tonight.  I'm really impressed with how small this thing is.  I was expecting something a little larger I guess.  I've already ripped the 500GB drive out and added 3 WD 1TB jobs.  They sure packed a lot into one small package.  The load of the operating system through the server recovery disk was totally painless.  The only thing I'm unhappy about so far is that one of the fans has a slight whine to it.  Overall, it is no louder than my desktop computer.

I would be interested to hear if others detect a whining noise from theirs.

David

Dodad, be careful if you decide to use the old 500GB drive, WHS doesn't like disks that have been previously used in WHS. I'd suggest deleting the partition tables before attempting to add it to the volume, or bad things can happen. See here:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 5:07 PM
  • Mine is a bit noisy too, but it's the small power supply fan in the front of the unit that makes the noise. I think it's more the pitch of the noise than the db volume. I have mine in my home theater room on my component rack next to the Xbox360 and since I have a projector that makes noise the MSS noise doesn't bother me. Smile

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 5:23 PM
  • Now the EX470 & EX475 are both out of stock at HP.com

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 6:34 PM
  • Yakuza, thanks for the info.  I would surely plan on using that drive at some point.

David

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:34 PM
  • If the eSATA can support multiple drives, it would be nice if HP offered the same case that held just drives for a system expansion.  In my opinion, being able to add 4 to 6 more drives would be a cool addition.  It could be failry inexpensive as there wouldn't be need for more software and much of the hardware cpu, memory etc. could be left out.

Thursday, November 22, 2007 10:03 PM
  • Guys, i have had my EX470x for about a week now... and love it!

But got a problem...

WHS drive 1 = 500GB

WHS drive 2 = 400GB

WHS drive 3 = 320GB

My network is a 1000Mbps and my desktop PC is 1000Mbps also.

I have a single file about 3.5GB and i can throw it into say the Software folder (duplication off) at say 50MB/sec easily.

However, all my reads, that is copying files from the WHS to my desktop i get 6MB/sec max.

Anyone else having this problem?

Friday, November 23, 2007 1:06 AM