home automation addins? RRS feed

• Question

• One thing I was definetely hoping for when I originally heard about WHS was that it would have home automation abilities as well.  Currently there are many companies using XP, 2k, MCE and now possibly Vista as the basis for their system.  Is there any chance that WHS will become a better alternative and be used instead?

Admittedly without a set spec for the Home automation side this could be more of a challenge then it is truly worth and much more of a headache and money pit. 

Any ideas or anyone else have any ideas/suggestions along these lines?
    Friday, April 20, 2007 4:02 PM

Answers

• While it's an excellent idea, and one that Charlie Kindel (among others on the WHS team) has mentioned specifically, the creation of a home automation add-in is not something that Microsoft is likely to be involved in. It would have to be developed by an ISV.

Also, I'll point out that you may be able to do some of this today, just by installing the proper software on WHS and writing a simple add-in to expose the most important controls yourself. I've made basic VB and C# project templates available, so you'll have something to start from.
    Friday, April 20, 2007 5:04 PM