Retrofitting ShadowCopy? RRS feed

• Question

• There's quite a bit in the existing thread "QuestionBackup Failed - "The computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume for backup", but I think I've got a new spin on it.

Got a little laptop with a pared-down XP on it.

WHS, of course, wants ShadowCopy.

So I tried an end run:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copied vssvc.exe from C:\Windows\System32 to 901’s System32  (ShadowCopy)

Created a service for ShadowCopy via C:\> sc create “VSS” binpath= “c:\windows.0\System32\vssvc.exe” displayname= “Volume Shadow Copy”   (NB: The spaces after “=” signs are required.

Copied swprv.dll from Giga into System32

C:\> sc create “SwPrv” binpath= “c:\windows.0\System32\SWPRV.dll”
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I've got a ShadowCopy service running on the problem PC, and WHS no longer throws an identifiable error message (it was throwing a couple of them before).

But it seems tb still having issues because now it's throwing the infamous-but-nonspecific  "The computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume for backup".

I tried the chkDisk /r /f  route.

Question: has anybody been through the exercise of retrofitting ShadowCopy?

My money's on one or more missing .DLLs... or maybe another service needed.

?
    • Edited by PeteCress Tuesday, April 28, 2009 12:11 AM
    Monday, April 27, 2009 11:53 PM

Answers

• There's quite a bit in the existing thread "QuestionBackup Failed - "The computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume for backup", but I think I've got a new spin on it.

So I tried an end run:

Created a service for ShadowCopy via C:\> sc create “VSS” binpath= “c:\windows.0\System32\vssvc.exe” displayname= “Volume Shadow Copy”   (NB: The spaces after “=” signs are required.

Now I've got a ShadowCopy service running on the problem PC, and WHS no longer throws an identifiable error message (it was throwing a couple of them before).

But it seems tb still having issues because now it's throwing the infamous-but-nonspecific  "The computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume for backup".

?
    You might need to register some dlls.  You can try searching this forum for vssadmin and see what comes up (here is one sample I found for starters).
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 1:12 AM
  • Your best bet for getting it all working is going to be to install a full version of Windows XP on that laptop.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 1:38 AM

All replies

So I tried an end run:

?
    You might need to register some dlls.  You can try searching this forum for vssadmin and see what comes up (here is one sample I found for starters).
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 1:12 AM
  • Your best bet for getting it all working is going to be to install a full version of Windows XP on that laptop.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 1:38 AM