Guidance - WHS and Windows 7 Pro Backup at the same time RRS feed

• Question

• We have a need to backup using WHS (we are doing this now) and to a network share.  We actually use WHS over OpenVPN to backup to an offsite location and it works well.  By running both Windows 7 backup and WHS we can get image and file level offsite and local backups very cost effectively.

We'd like to run a local backup for all of our Windows 7 Pro machines to a local network share.  This also appears to work well when we try it.

However, since both systems use the same services to take images, they conflict with each other.  Specifically if Windows backup runs and WHS is in the middle of a backup, Windows backup kills the WHS backup.

The Windows backup schedule can be made to start at any time, and the range for WHS can be set, although WHS regularly goes long on this, i.e. it may go an hour or two beyond the range for the backup.

We haven't implemented this yet and aren't really encountering a problem in testing thus far, just wondering whether there is any guidance as to how this should ideally be set up.

That's the question.  Has anyone done this (i.e. used Windows backup simultaneous with Windows 7 backup on the same set of machines), and if so what guidance can you offer regarding setting this up?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, November 29, 2010 8:00 PM

Answers

• It shouldn't cause any problems. I would leave the Windows Home Server backup schedule as is, and set the Windows 7 backup to run at perhaps 8:00 PM to 11:00 PM (different times for different PCs, obviously).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Alex Barimo Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:26 PM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 8:06 PM