Windows Media Center RRS feed

• Question

• Most of my PCs are running XP Pro.  Does this mean I will not be able to take advantage of WHS media center?  I assume this is the case.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 5:38 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server is not a media center PC. It is able to provide multimedia files on shared folders, to which you can also access from your client PCs.
    Besides providing folders it also offers automated backups for the client PCs and remote access capabilities via Internet to clients with Pro versions of Windows XP or higher.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, October 26, 2009 7:23 PM
  • I understand that, but part of WHS is the media center coordination.  It is listed on the WHS settings page.  Right?

I am trying to install the Windows media center connector but I have a feeling I won't be able to do that if I am running XP Pro.  That's what I am trying to figure out.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 10:12 PM
  • The Windows Media Center connector component of Windows Home Server requires Windows Media Center on the client computer, yes. So you will not be able to install/use it on XP Professional.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:51 PM
  • That is disappointing and also a major flaw of WHS.  It seems like something like media sharing should be dictated by the server software and not the specific client software.  This is the case with Squeezecenter, for example.

Since I am not going to upgrade all my PCs to Win 7 I am wondering if WHS makes sense for me.  Right now all I am using it for it backup and remote access.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:56 PM
  • You may not understand the purpose of the Media Center Connector component. It's not intended to provide media center functionality on a client machine that doesn't have it; for that Microsoft would tell you that you can upgrade to a version of Windows that includes the desired functionality. The Media Center Connector is to connect the Media Center components of an appropriate version of Windows more directly with your server than Media Center can do natively, by installing components that can copy recorded TV to your server, make files on the server available on your media center as though they were local, etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:51 PM