none
Server storage pool not showing correct..... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a WHS box from an old Dell machine and am very happy with it.  Recently i have installed new hard drives and now have 1 x 750GB, 2 x 250GB.

They have all been added correctly and show up in the console fine.  I recently installed my home cctv and software and noticed that in the cctv software it said that the disk had 26% of free space.

I checked the 'my computer' on the WHS and it says that c: is 20.0GB (OS) and that the D: is only 212GB......... although my drives are showing in the console and everything is running fine, its strange that it is only showing 212 in the 'my computer' and that the cctv software, that is also working fine, has picked up that on the D: there is 57.1GB left, leaving 26%... Obviously this is not right as the other drives are funcioning correctly.

Has anyone any idea how i can get the 'my computer' to see the correct amount of storage?

Thanks in advance

Tobster
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 11:57 PM

Answers

• TobsterUK said:

Hi Olaf,

Greetings from England.  Many thanks for replying so soon.  That is how i have it set up at present and had for about 6 months on the old server.

saving recordings direct to \\server\cctv files

Did you create this share in the WHS Console?

Had no adverse reactions as yet and running smoothly, although if you recommend dedicating a drive and not adding it to the pool for the recordings then thats what i will do.

Would you recommend installing the cctv application on (e.g E:) and having the recordings go straight to that new drive (e.g E:)?

Thanks in advance
    Tobster

If it was me, I'd still install the app on C.  As for the destination files, I would have the recordings go to \\server\cctv files (as long as that share was created inside the WHS Console).  If your app doesn't support UNC paths, then save the recordings to a non-pool drive.
    • Edited by kariya21Moderator Sunday, November 23, 2008 3:53 PM more info
    • Marked as answer by TobsterUK Sunday, November 23, 2008 3:54 PM
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 3:50 PM

All replies

• TobsterUK said:

Hi,

I have a WHS box from an old Dell machine and am very happy with it.  Recently i have installed new hard drives and now have 1 x 750GB, 2 x 250GB.

They have all been added correctly and show up in the console fine.  I recently installed my home cctv and software and noticed that in the cctv software it said that the disk had 26% of free space.

I checked the 'my computer' on the WHS and it says that c: is 20.0GB (OS) and that the D: is only 212GB......... although my drives are showing in the console and everything is running fine, its strange that it is only showing 212 in the 'my computer' and that the cctv software, that is also working fine, has picked up that on the D: there is 57.1GB left, leaving 26%... Obviously this is not right as the other drives are funcioning correctly.

Has anyone any idea how i can get the 'my computer' to see the correct amount of storage?

Thanks in advance

Tobster

You can't.  It's functioning as designed.  The secondary drives are "in the background".  As long as the Console shows the total space as 1.25 TB, you're fine.  (Also, FYI, logging into the server desktop for any reason is unsupported.)

However, the fact that the D shows only 57.1 GB free seems a little strange.  Do you have your cctv software saving (or any other app) saving anything to the D drive?
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 12:44 AM
  • Hi Kariya,

Many thanks for the reply.  That explains why they are not showing up. 

Yes the cctv software is installed in the C: and it saves the recordings etc onto the D: into a folder so that i can access the recordings on the network.  Does that make a difference? or should i uninstall the cctv software and re-install it so that it records onto the C:?

Before my old server went wrong it showed up on the cctv software that there was something like 97% free space so thats why i thought that this was strange, as it has been set up the same way the old one was.

I look forward to hearing from you.
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 2:49 PM
  • Hi,
    you should not save to any folders directly on WHS on any disk, which is part of the storage pool. Although this is less problematic since Power Pack 1, you can experience unwanted side effects, especially if that drive is running full or if you try to write into a subfolder of the the Shares folder directly.
    If you want to use such (unsupported) applications, of which WHS components are not aware, you should either try to get them writing to a shared folder via UNC (i.e. \\server\Videos) or use a disk, which is not part of the storage pool. (You cannot share a folder on that disk via console in the last scenario.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 3:04 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

Greetings from England.  Many thanks for replying so soon.  That is how i have it set up at present and had for about 6 months on the old server.

Had no adverse reactions as yet and running smoothly, although if you recommend dedicating a drive and not adding it to the pool for the recordings then thats what i will do.

Would you recommend installing the cctv application on (e.g E:) and having the recordings go straight to that new drive (e.g E:)?

Thanks in advance
    Tobster
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 3:26 PM
  • TobsterUK said:

Hi Olaf,

Did you create this share in the WHS Console?

Thanks in advance
    Tobster

If it was me, I'd still install the app on C.  As for the destination files, I would have the recordings go to \\server\cctv files (as long as that share was created inside the WHS Console).  If your app doesn't support UNC paths, then save the recordings to a non-pool drive.
    • Edited by kariya21Moderator Sunday, November 23, 2008 3:53 PM more info
    • Marked as answer by TobsterUK Sunday, November 23, 2008 3:54 PM
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 3:50 PM
  • Brilliant, thanks,

Thats how i have it set up now.................thanks very much to you both for all your help.
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 3:55 PM
  • As Kariya said, both versions will work, if your application is supporting UNC path. But keep an eye, if you enable duplication for this folder, if the server keeps running stable. (or do not use duplication here, since it will cause heavy load at least besides the disk space consumption.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 7:55 PM