Guys chat here. RRS feed

• Question

• I think many of us like to chat about just anything, that may not be allowed in other forum sections. So i request you guys to post anything you like here, of any topic , or even use it just for your chatting with your friends.

Unlike the other threads where you have to stick to a certain topic. This thread will give you the freedom to post any kinds of discussions and topics that you feel, be it studies related, advertisement, chatting, or just time pass, and anything that you can think of.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 4:37 AM

Answers

• I dont know on what point do you think that Microsoft people will get furious...
    One of the main reasons why microsoft runs this forums is to be among the customers to get their views... so dont hesitate to give your points, because they will be more than happy to hear your comments.. this is the way they will know of their drawbacks and will try to improve on them...

So let is all flow, give out your points and stop worrying about what they will think.. they will take all this positively
    Friday, May 4, 2007 2:11 AM
  • That is a good idea, but then you when you get this much freedom, you dont have any thing to chat about.. so its harder to find chat without a topic... so its both way contradiction.. what do you say???
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 11:47 AM
  • I think you are right Varun. But I just thought to give it a try, and hope it goes well. Nothing to loose if people dont chat here Smile
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 4:28 PM
  • Hi guys, i join you for chat....lets initiate a topic fr discussion?..wat say?
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 7:44 PM
  • Hey buddy, dont ask for permission,, if you find the floor vacant, than grab the opportunity.. so go ahead and start a topic..
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 2:35 AM
  • Man you can start any topic you want.

I guess Ill start a topic, but dont think that if we start a topic, only discussions about the same will be allowed Smile you can talk about multiple topics, just mention in your post about what topic you are talking about Smile

Okay guys, lets start our discussions about "Your experience with Vista" ?

Thursday, May 3, 2007 3:29 AM
  • I have installed vista long time ago. It was working perfectly okay, and then suddenly i added a new lan card, and then it stopped working.

The lan card is working perfectly in winxp, but yes, even vista still shows that BSOD Stick out tongue

I tried changing the lan card slots, but still no good. I then tried changing the graphics card, and then it worked. What does vista have to do with gfx and lan card Stick out tongue i then restarted, and again it stopped working, i put back my old graphics card, and now that also don gets detected.

I tried removing all the lan cards (2 nos) and then started vista, it worked fine, but then agani after restart it stopped working. I dont know why vista has such compatibility issues. And FYI the version of beta is full version ULTIMATE. and not any betas or RC.

any of you faced any compatibiilty issues. ?
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 3:32 AM
  • I had tried Vista home Basic... I didnt had any such problems... the lan card was not detected before as it is an external one.. all other parts that are on motherboard get their drivers directly...
    Than i had installed the lan drivers for xp in Vista and it installed and worked perfectly... No such problems...

But vista costs too much memory.. I have only 512 and need to work on Oracle and VB, so its not possible to have them on vista, it might get installed but i hardly believe it will give the same performance as on XP....
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 10:07 AM
  • I guess winxp is the best for home users Smile

I am planning to format my vista partition as its using 8 gb  and also slowing my pc, hahahaa

I dont see any fayda after installing vista , other than the WOW for graphics Stick out tongue
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 1:37 PM
  • why Vista ?? i didnt found anything so attractive in it.. speacially looking at my current hardware status, I dont see any need for Vista as I dont have a graphics Card...
    So tell me, if you dont have a Graphics Card, what is the differece between VISTA & XP....

Tell me the facilities of Vista, I will tell you the alternative for it in XP...
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 2:47 PM
  • Yes m8, i afree with you Varun.

Even i feel that winxp is better for us than Vista. Smile

Vista aint required for us at the moment. We can do all the works from winxp.
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 2:50 PM
  • Man i am back into 4th rank Sad

Allauddin is cheating , i think he is misusing the referals ;(
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 2:51 PM
  • Hi

I appriciating ur feelings but I this area is not like a messenger.... we have to work alots to get more points.....may be ur free or have alots of points but I dnt have so better i should think about the points first then only I can think about this...

Another thing I forget that all the users are noticed by the Microsoft  so dont think ur free to write every thing here....

they are reducing the points of the users which are using as FAKE information to the available usres...

Keep It  in Mind.... dont feel  bad////

So better u concentrate on the work...

Thursday, May 3, 2007 8:27 PM
  • @Raman - Man we know what we are exactly doing. We try to spend our precious free time on this forum. Whenever we get time we spend our time in this forum, not just to earn points, but also to help others and also gain knowledge.

We are also humans, we get tired doing the same thing again and again, and thats why we have started this thread so that people who are tired, atleast can relax here, give their views about anything they like, and refresh themselves Smile Its just like a virtual community.

Also Microsoft dont monitor each and every post, its virtually impossible. Apart from Samvaad there are lots and lots of other forums in Microsoft, if MS starts monitoring everything, then they will have to shutdown their main job i.e software development. They record information, but they seldom go through it . They keep the information so that in future if they require, they can refer it, and also we guys can refer to old old threads and posts also.
    Friday, May 4, 2007 5:34 AM
  • ..so getting back to topic....

harshil have you participated in the imagine cup?...and how was your quizcompetition buddy...i missed the quiz competion, as i registered very late, actually i came to know, about this thing quite late....

Friday, May 4, 2007 8:51 PM
  • Yes Harshil share your Imagine cup expereince...
    Even I was late for the competition, but i was able to get a glimse of the Algorithm competition,
    The herbert one... it was good.. i was only able to give 1 week to it, but though had scored somewhat 600th rank in that competition.. but they took only top 200 for the 2nd level....
    Saturday, May 5, 2007 2:20 AM
  • Ok about the imagine cup, i had signed for i as soon as it started. But as i was having exams during the time it was launched, i didnt give it much importance. Also i solved lot of Herbert (algorithm) levels, but didn;t make it to rank 200. Also i was able to attempt only one of the rounds of herbert. I didn't knew about this algo quiz, but as soon as i knew, i was again having exams,so still i tried solving as many i could during exams. But didn;t make it.

But i dont regret it , better luck next time Smile

I guess Varun has said about his Imagine cup experience.
    What about you Anooop ?
    Saturday, May 5, 2007 4:59 AM
  • hi harshil, no imagine cup experience for me buddy, its already close, they are into 2 or 3 round i guess....actually i had registered on 29 apr.....i had missed the starting action of this thing....

and there are no more quizzes schedule right?....i missed all the three quizzes too...

Saturday, May 5, 2007 8:02 PM
  • Hey i have a new topic on which i would like to get your views on.

"With the introduction of 802.11n and ipv6, we could acces the internet, the tv, the music system and even the microwave with the Mobile Phone wirelessly. Do you think that the mobile phone will be the greatest electronic device?"

Saturday, May 5, 2007 10:21 PM
  • Well I think that Mobile was the greatest invention, but now it has become more essential than anything else... I dont understand why a 8 year kid needs to keep a mobile, but go to any school, you will find a dozen of kids with mobile....
    The amount of talk we used to do on telephone has increased rapidly.. we are just talking talking all the time... that too unnecessarily...

And now this... though mobile technology has reached a different end, but now it is used very less for talking purpose.. it all about games, internet and all on the mobile...
    If what you say is correct than i fear that its going to dominate the minds of the people now
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 4:26 AM
  •  Anoop_Mehta_056d33 wrote:

hi harshil, no imagine cup experience for me buddy, its already close, they are into 2 or 3 round i guess....actually i had registered on 29 apr.....i had missed the starting action of this thing....

and there are no more quizzes schedule right?....i missed all the three quizzes too...

Well buddy, for current year, it has closed.. But I think that we have it every  year.. so we all will try again next year...
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 4:48 AM
  • Man i think the use of mobiles has been very positive in the community. But it is also responsible for deviating our concentration from our studies. Cause small kids, even use the mobiles that has music, games, etc etc, and as kids are easily vulnerable to games, music etc, they tend to do less-well in their studies. Hence it does increase productivity of the students.

When we were kits did we ever feel the need for a mobile, other than just a dream ? It was not inevitable. But after the popularization of the mobiles, even small kids feel that it is inevitable to live without a mobile Stick out tongue
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 7:02 AM
  • Yeah I agree with you both. But i have a thought i want to share. We think mobiles will be bad for kids, is this is because we didnt have mobiles when we were kids? A lot of kids use computers, which can be productive if used in a proper way. Why cant the same be possible with mobiles?
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 9:49 AM
  • Well, it can be productive.. but point out that productive use... one possible case is for the security reasons of the kids, that they may carry a mobile phone.. but than there is always an elder around or big people around to help them out.. so why do they need to carry mobile ???

give us some of the points where you think that it will be productive for kids....

Even i have a mobile right now.. but its hardly of any use to me as i use the landline more often.. i have friends without a cell, so how do they manage to do it???
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 11:23 AM
  • hi guys.....

how r u all????

can i join ur chat with ur permission?.

Sunday, May 6, 2007 12:20 PM
  • Well Sunil, no one needs a invitation to join the chat.. its an open forum.. so just hop in...
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 12:55 PM
  • Varun, you are right. The technology can never be justified, it is rather its implementation. Mobile phones have a lot of cool productive softwares. For example, i carry a dictionary software, so i can look up the meaning of any word while i am on the move. I have seen a lot of kids using softwares which teach them new words in foreign languages. They want to impress everybody with thier kowledge in foriegn lanaguages.

Lets look at this from a different point of view. Mobile phones use lots of different technologies, like Bluetooth, Flash cards, etc. Ask any common person and he may reply that he doesnt have a clue. But ask a kid who has a mobile, and he will go on about all the bluetooth devies available. In short, mobiles are also helping people in increasing awareness about various technologies also. What do you think?

Sunday, May 6, 2007 1:44 PM
  • thnx varun,

friends, lets interduce myself before chat,

My name is Sunil. 23 yrs. Completed BSc as my subjects as electronics, mathematics and computer science. now i am persuing M.C.A . reading, listening,playing chess, doing yoga are my hobbies.

How about u friends???

Feel free to talk. lets share and enjoy.

Bye

Sunday, May 6, 2007 2:21 PM
  • Well ask the same kid something from his/her school curriculum, do you think he will be able to answer it?? most of them wont... so this is my point.. no doubt there are benefits of the technology... but is that kid suppose to give priority to school or the cool stuff???

I think that school comes first.. but this is not the case today...
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 2:44 PM
  • this is really a great idea and i wud like to join u...
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 2:47 PM
  • Jayakumar, there is nothing to ask my friend. Just join us and discuss anything you like.
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 2:48 PM
  • Man the most important thing that we need to consider here is the kids choice. Whether he wants to use his mobile to increase his productivity, or just use it for pleasure. But as small kids dont have good decision power, i guess they can get carried away to the negative side.
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 3:12 PM
  • Valid points my friends. so let us adults enjoy mobiles, for fun and study....

I have another question. "Which programming language do you prefer and are most comfortable with?"

Sunday, May 6, 2007 3:29 PM
  • I have studied Cobol, C, C++

For handling file, cobol is too good...
    for other things C++ rules the charts...
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 5:43 PM
  • Yeah, i also like C++
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 5:51 PM
  • C/C++, VB, VB.net, cobol, foxpro, java and pl/sql and also unix shell scripting, VC++ as well, and many more.
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 7:15 PM
  • wow thats a lot of languages!!!
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 8:00 PM
  •  Varun_Modi_a59ed9 wrote:
     Anoop_Mehta_056d33 wrote:

hi harshil, no imagine cup experience for me buddy, its already close, they are into 2 or 3 round i guess....actually i had registered on 29 apr.....i had missed the starting action of this thing....

Well buddy, for current year, it has closed.. But I think that we have it every  year.. so we all will try again next year...

sure buddy

Sunday, May 6, 2007 9:03 PM
  • Thatz true... lots of languages Harshil, do they teach this many languages in the college or you studied some on your own ???
    Monday, May 7, 2007 4:04 AM
    Thatz true... lots of languages Harshil, do they teach this many languages in the college or you studied some on your own ???

The ones that i have listed are the few of the ones that i was taught at college Smile

Apart from those i was also taught Assembly, Oracle, etc Smile

Apart from the above, i have learnt the following programming languages on my own : VB, VB.NET, Javascript, PHP, HTML, mySQL, C#, TCL, a bit of perl, xml, css, xsl, etc etc  Smile
    Monday, May 7, 2007 5:34 AM
  • Hi,

My Name is Arijit Chatterjee and I have joined quite recently.

I would like to suggest that you go in for Pyhton Programming. I have worked on it for a month or so and I found it to be very powerful, simple and esay to use and reuse.

It has features of LISP and Prolog, like lists, dictionaries etc, readymade APIs like java. One can easily connect to databases or make GUIs using Python. Variable declaration is not required at all.

I believe it is the next big thing in OOP and really coming into the foray gradually and really worth taking a peek.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 3:56 PM
  • hmm, seems interesting.. can you put some more light on it and also where to find reference material for it???
    Wednesday, May 9, 2007 4:02 PM
  • Yes m8, please give us some examples, or links to it.
    Also what editor, and compiler to use for creating the programs. I guess you have 1 month experience with it, you must be knowing enough to explain us the basics.
    Wednesday, May 9, 2007 4:39 PM
  • Yeah, the new version for Python supported by .net is called Iron Python. You can learn more about it, and download some startet kits to start learing development on http://www.asp.net in the downloads section. If i come across more info, will definitely share....

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 4:44 PM
  • Thanks adnan, will surely have a look at it  and give it a try.
    Wednesday, May 9, 2007 5:23 PM
  • hi guys anybody interested in developing mobile softwares...
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 3:19 PM
  • Yes Jayakumar, I am very interested in developing Mobile applications especially Games. I am also a member of the Microsoft Mobile and Embedded Development Community, Hyd. If you need some info from my side please let me know.
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 3:27 PM
  • yup, me interested too, but i dont know anything about it.. can you put some more light on it???
    All I know is that most of the applications are made in Java ver which is specially made for mobiles because we need very small size of the applications...

So where can you study more about it?? Please give some links to it....
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 3:39 PM
  • Well we use .net cf (Compact Framework) for developing the applications. If you want to start building your own apps, just download the Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC SDK and Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone SDK. You will also need ActiveSync v4 and above, for synchronizing between your computer and your mobile device. You will also need a device emulator to test your apps. The programming language as with .net can be VB.net or C#. If you are all interested to know more about Mobile software development and even want to learn building your first game, please let me know. I will start a new thread and post the information.
    Learning is fun.
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 4:37 PM
  • Yes m8, that would be a good idea to also start a mobile programming discussion thread. Please start a new thread about it and give us some small tutorials and links so that even we can learn about it.

I know its an interesting subject, but many people just ignore it. I dont know why...

And one good news m8, webcasts about it are giong to be conducted, I hope everyone will be able to attend them as they would be having vacations during that time..

http://www.microsoft.com/india/webcasts/
    Webcasts on ASP.NET AJAX and WPF/E

Date & Time

Title

May 16, 2007
    2:30 PM - 4:00 PM

Exploring ASP.NET AJAX – Part II

After exploring ASP.NET AJAX Extensions and the Update Panel control, here we start exploring the other handy controls such as Update Progress, Triggers etc., Also, we will explore how Microsoft ASP.NET AJAX helps web developers make network callbacks directly from client-side script code.

Speaker: Harish Ranganathan

May 17, 2007

ASP.NET AJAX Control Toolkit

Learn how to extend your ASP.NET AJAX applications using the ASP.NET AJAX Control Toolkit. We will also see how ASP. Net’s standard DropDownList can become AJAX-enabled using the Cascading Dropdown control extender from the ASP.NET AJAX Control Toolkit

May 18, 2007

Silverlight: Light up the web!

Microsoft Silverlight, formerly known as “WPF/E”, doesn’t just have a new name. It has a lot of new features announced at MIX 07 and you can find out about all of these in this session. Learn how to light up the web with Silverlight.

Speaker: Pandurang Nayak

May 21, 2007

First Look at Silverlight Media capabilities

Microsoft Silverlight, formerly known as “WPF/E”, has rich media capabilities that can play industry-standard audio/video and is ideal for building rich media Internet applications. Learn these technologies and unleash the power of rich media in your applications.

May 22, 2007

Silverlight and .NET – Integrated power and flexibility

Microsoft Silverlight integrates with .NET to leverage several powerful features and scenarios. Learn how Silverlight can work seamlessly with .NET and how you can build cross-platform Rich Internet Applications (RIAs).

Webcast on Windows Mobile 5.0 and Embedded CE 6.0

Date & Time

Title

May 16, 2007
    4:30 PM - 6:00 PM

Windows Embedded CE 6.0: Graphics Pipeline

This session will introduce to the rich graphics architecture of Windows Embedded CE 6.0. You will learn the basics of the GDI, DirectDraw and Direct3D interfaces and also learn when and how to apply them in your device applications. This session will cover both the device driver and application aspects of the graphics pipeline and help you fully exploit the power of the CE 6 graphics architecture.

Speaker: Vignesh Doraiswamy

May 17, 2007

Windows Embedded CE 6.0: Multimedia Architecture

This webcast will take you on a tour of the enhanced multimedia features supported by CE 6 and the underlying architecture that makes it all possible. We will look at DirectShow and its extensible filter graph mechanism for handling media streams. We will also briefly look at the device drivers that play a crucial role in enabling and supporting this architecture. Lastly we will touch upon performance tuning of multimedia devices using CE.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 5:03 PM
  • yes adnan, even i am interested in the mobile applications development thing, so pls enlighten us....it will be good to study abt mobile pps development....looking forward to it
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 7:08 PM
  • Thanks for the encouragement. I will start the thread soon, and provide as much info as possible.
    Friday, May 11, 2007 12:23 AM
  • Best of luck Adnan Smile
    Friday, May 11, 2007 5:40 AM
  • Hey guys, lets discuss on this topic now.

How does a Windows Phone differ from a high end mobile phone or a PDA. ?
    Why is it called windows phone ? cause the OS used is windows ? in that case we can have even other high end mobile phnoes have the windows OS ....

Guys discuss about this, and lets all know more about it.
    Friday, May 11, 2007 5:42 AM
  • Windows phones are examples of PocketPc's. These devices run on Windows Compact Edition OS. The major difference between pocket pc and smartphone is that, pocket pc supports more applications like the office suite and has much more features apart from the mobile capabilites. Another thing is that major smartphones in the market use the Symbian OS.

Correct me if i am wrong.

Friday, May 11, 2007 6:26 AM
  • FOr more information about Mobile Application Development, please visit

http://forums.microsoft.com/SamVaad/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1586986&SiteID=43

Friday, May 11, 2007 6:33 AM
  • Hi Hussain, im jus abt to begin it...and wud like to develop applications for Symbian OS enabled phones...i wud be happy if u share some knowledge abt it...can i have ur mail-id pls...
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 8:27 AM
  • Mark Lutz, one of the most well known names in Python, tells us why he feels Python is now a  major programminglanguage. He speaks about the things he likes about Python and the various areas where Python is being used  today.

He also elaborates on why Python seems like the right answer to some major issues in software development.

According to him, Python's basic model is a simple core language, and the core doesn't need much more. He'd like to

see effort put into things like optimization and just-in-time compilers, instead of esoteric language extensions that

may only appeal to the top 5% of the Python user base.

I'm amazed at how far Python has come

(Sunday, 27 November 2005) - Contributed by Content Team

{mosgoogle}

PythonThreads >> Hi Mark, could you please introduce yourself?

Mark Lutz >> Sure, I'm Mark Lutz, Python trainer and author of multiple O'Reilly Python books. I've been involved with Python since 1992, and started teaching Python classes in 1997. I have taught 150 classes and thousands of new Python programmers over the years. I'm also the author of Python's earliest and best-selling texts to date, including Programming Python, Learning Python (I'm the main co-author), and Python Pocket Reference. All my Python books are in 2nd or 3rd Editions. I'm also a software engineer with two decades of experience, and BS and MS degrees in computer science.

PythonThreads >> You have been using and promoting Python for over a decade, what made you stay with Python for so long and what according to you makes Python special as compared to other languages?

Mark Lutz >> Python makes programming fun. When I found it on the net back in 1992, I was a frustrated C++ programmer. Python was so much better that I'd never go back to a language as tedious as C++. Python seemed, and still seems, like the right answer to some major issues in software development: it focuses on quality, coherence, and so on, in ways that other tools do not. These days I get paid to teach Python, not program in it, but I still find myself hacking Python in my free time purely for the aesthetic pleasure of it."Python was so much better that I'd never go back to a language as tedious as C++..."

PythonThreads >> Powerful tools have driven the growth of many programming languages. Do you think Python tools are up to the mark? How would you compare the various Python tools and IDEs available today?

Mark Lutz >> I'm not sure that IDEs are as crucial to Python programmers as that question may imply. What I see is that people gravitate to what they are used to--IDEs for some, just a shell command line and text editor for others. Having said that, the IDLE IDE did wonders to help beginners in my experience; it's a friendly environment to get started in. It also tends to break down for more advanced programming, though -- I don't use it for GUIs or multithreading, for

instance. I've seen people using Eclipse for Python recently (and giving mixed reviews), as well as Komodo and Wing. PythonWin is nice too, but it tends to hang frequently. You'll find GUI builders for Python too, but you shouldn't confuse Python with a Visual Basic type of tool; Python is a programming language for programmers -- not something for building GUIs without much if any code."You shouldn't confuse Python with a Visual Basic type of tool..."

PythonThreads >> Developers can now use Python language for mobile application development, Do you see Python becoming a popular language of mobile development and maybe replace Java in mobile application development some day?

Mark Lutz >> Sure, but I don't try to predict the future; I'm amazed at how far Python has already come, and many of it's leading applications are things we couldn't have predicted when Python was first starting out (when I found Python, there was no website, just a set of uuencoded email messages).Much of Python's future will probably be just as unforeseen."I'm amazed at how far Python has already come..."{mospagebreak title=Current Python developments - Interfaces in Python - Promoting Python}

PythonThreads >> Which of the current python developments do you find most exciting?

Mark Lutz >> I think the port to the Nokia cellphone line is quite cool. I also find Python's use in high-profile systems such as Google, ILM, the BitTorrent P2P system, and the ESRI GIS product to be interesting. The latter of those has a one million customer base, for instance. Statistics such as book sales and training demand are also upbeat."I find Python's use in high-profile systems such as Google, ILM ...." PythonThreads >> Guido van Rossum has emphasized on the use of Interfaces in python. Do you see a need for interfaces?

Mark Lutz >> We already have them. I see interfaces as an informal thing underlying most of Python programming, not requiring special syntax. Every object already provides an interface -- a set of method calls and expression operators -- which defines it. In Python, we code to these interfaces, not to specific datatypes: a function assumes its subject objects do the right thing for the expected interface, but doesn't care what the objects are, or for that matter, how they respond to the operations run against them. By not constraining code to a specific type, it applies to a whole range of types automatically. This idea is one of the keys to understanding the language, and underlies much of its conciseness and flexibility (what some would call agility). But like I said, to me it seems like this a fixture of the language which has been there from day 1, not a new thing, and not something that requires complicating the language with new syntax."I see interfaces as an informal thing underlying most of Python programming...."

PythonThreads >> Which features would you like to see in future python versions?

Mark Lutz >> I don't think the core language itself needs much more at this point. Down that path lies Java, C++, and Perl6. I'd rather see work on libraries and tools. I'd also like to see effort put into things like optimization and just-in-time compilers, instead of esoteric language extensions that may only appeal to the top 5% of the Python user base. Python's basic model is a simple core language, with application tools split off to application libraries. That makes for a

very modular system, which is easily extended, and easily learned. The problem with adding things to the core language instead of its standard libraries is that it raises the complexity bar for everyone -- both the advanced users asking for language changes, as well as people looking to use a simple language for things like product customization. Unfortunately, once anyone in an organization uses an advanced language feature, it is no longer optional for everyone

else."I'd also like to see effort put into things like optimization and just-in-time compilers...."

PythonThreads >> An important reason for Java being so popular is that it had IT giants like Sun, IBM and ORACLE promoting it. Although Google and Yahoo do say that they use a lot of python, nobody seems to be promoting Python ?

Mark Lutz >> Sorry, but I don't buy the premise of this question. Python is very widely used these days, and if you haven't noticed, it's just because you haven't been looking in the right places. I see Python being used in virtually every substantial software enterprise -- whether as a tactical tool for quick scripts, or as a strategic tool for longer-term projects. Granted, it took Python longer to catch on than Java (which benefited from lots of marketing money). But it definitely hit a

critical mass a few years ago, and seems to be doubling in use yearly now. People using Python are promoting Python; it spreads of its own accord. The impact of Google may also be more significant than you seem to imply. "I see Python being used in virtually every substantial software enterprise...."

PythonThreads >> How would you say has python evolved over the years?

Mark Lutz >> It's made the lives of Python programmers easier. I have large Python programs I wrote in 1992 (including an expert system shell) that still work today unchanged with the latest Python release. That's a pretty amazing backward compatibility metric. However, if I were to update those programs today, I'd rewrite them substantially to take advantage of the tools Python has grown since then -- builtins that automate what I had done manually, or boost

performance."Python has amazing backward compatibility.... "

PythonThreads >> Python has been around for a very long long time but it never managed to become a major programming language. What do you think were the reasons and do you see things changing?

Mark Lutz >>Again, not so: Python is a major programming language today. I see it being used as much as things like Java, C++, and Perl these days. Acceptance took time, but this field is slower to make improvements in tools than most people may think. "Python is a major programming language today....

"PythonThreads >> . How do you see years? Is it likely that it will become as mainstream as say Java or .NET?

Mark Lutz >> Sigh; this seems to be a recurring theme :-). One more time: Python already is mainstream in the industry at large. Not to be rude, but I could list a few hundred major companies and organizations to ask if you don't want to take my word for it. I think the user base will keep growing from year to year; like I said, it passed the critical mass point a few years ago. .NET has become mainstream? Maybe in your world, but not for most of us.".NET has become mainstream? Maybe in your world, but not for most of us....."

PythonThreads >>Thanks Mark. It's been good talking to you. Could you share your blog url or email address with our readers?

Mark Lutz >> I have a web page at http://www.rmi.net/~lutz . My email is (lutz at rmi dot net), but I'm not always as responsive there as I'd like; I'm too busy these days teaching this obscure language called Python on a weekly basis :-).

Related:

>> There is a real need of Interfaces : Guido van Rossum

>> Review of Python's ongoing improvements

>> Are you interested in programming your mobile device?

http://www.pythonthreads.com - Python Programming Portal Powered by Mambo Generated: 22 December, 2006, 01:17

Saturday, May 12, 2007 10:50 AM
  • Hi,

This is the official website of python:

http://www.python.org/

The latest version of python is available for download here.

Python is a dynamic object-oriented programming language that can be used for many kinds of software development. It offers strong support for integration with other languages and tools, comes with extensive standard libraries, and can be learned in a few days. Many Python programmers report substantial productivity gains and feel the language encourages the development of higher quality, more maintainable code.

Python runs on Windows, Linux/Unix, Mac OS X, OS/2, Amiga, Palm Handhelds, and Nokia mobile phones (Mobile programming is much easier and powerful with python). Python has also been ported to the Java and .NET virtual machines.

Python is distributed under an OSI-approved open source license that makes it free to use, even for commercial products.

The Python Software Foundation (PSF) holds and protects the intellectual property rights behind Python, underwrites the PyCon conference, and funds grants and other projects in the Python community.

HAPPY PROGRAMMING WITH PYTHON !!!

Saturday, May 12, 2007 10:57 AM
  • Very nice information dude.. Just checking out.. Downloaded the setup.. will learn its programming next week in the vacation...
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 1:10 PM
  • Thanks guys, i am very thankful for the encouragement. Will continue to post more tutorials.
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 1:18 PM
  • After reading the TOOO long post, i think i am getting inclined to atleast try python. Its vacation time, and i can get my hands dirty on it Smile.
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 4:56 PM
  • ya its good.. i been through some of the tutorials given at the python.org
    it is also good.. should try it out.. the material over their is also good..
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 5:41 PM
  • @adnan - also the windows phone is capacle of playing windows media, without ahy conversion...it also supports the various extensions that windows OS has to offer....what i am eager to know is that, does it support .exe?....if it does doesnt it rock?..

also thanks for that forum link..

well heres one more link, which tells us about the features that windows mobile has to offer

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/about/default.mspx

Sunday, May 13, 2007 3:04 PM
  • Thanks for the link and information about it Anoop Smile

Guys if anyone has more details or experience with it, please share it.
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 7:34 PM
  • @Varun i request you to talk or give some information about your internet plan you are using , either here in this thread, or my another thread that is "Which ISP you got"

I think if its cost effective, then many may think of it if speed dont matter to them Smile
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 7:37 PM
  • yeah, do tell us about ur tata plan in the isp THRREAD, and also tell us the speed...
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 7:39 PM
  • Posted in the ISP thread.. with full details.. give your views on it and do tell me if you have something better than that in my usage criteria...
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 11:49 PM
  • Hey guys I have started a new thread for giving out some really cool topic...
    it is an Content Management System.. it is new and happening.. just give it a look and you will remember me for sure... I m very much motivated by the technology... It helps you create and maintain a full fledge website even if you dont know any web language... Even i m new to it and trying to learn, so thought we all can learn together,,,

here is the link...

http://forums.microsoft.com/SamVaad/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1601197&SiteID=43&mode=1
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 9:36 AM
  • Good one m8. Ill have a look at it.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 10:33 AM
  • I know a thing or 2 about CMS, will share it with everyone on the above thread.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:09 PM
    Hey guys I have started a new thread for giving out some really cool topic...
    it is an Content Management System.. it is new and happening.. just give it a look and you will remember me for sure... I m very much motivated by the technology... It helps you create and maintain a full fledge website even if you dont know any web language... Even i m new to it and trying to learn, so thought we all can learn together,,,

here is the link...

http://forums.microsoft.com/SamVaad/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1601197&SiteID=43&mode=1

CMS...its good...and very helpful for quick web developments when time is running...

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:12 PM
  •  Adnan_Hussain_b89496 wrote:
    I know a thing or 2 about CMS, will share it with everyone on the above thread.

sure man......as long as u r informative and its knowledgeable, its always welcome....so just do it buddy

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:31 PM

That will be great Adnan.. rite now i m trying to learn Drupal.. its really very good... I had a hard time setting it up, but now its running...

Well you know something about Joomal, so you tell more about it and i will tell more about drupal.. so we can learn and do side by side comparision of both...

1st I m posting a small description of other systems available..
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 11:47 AM
  • Varun, your info in the CMS thread is great. But lets do a comparison of all the different CMS available. One more thing, i would also like to discuss is that the CMS is in PHP. How can we edit the files, so that we can customize everything including the admin panel.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 2:36 PM
  • What's The Difference Between Flexinode and CCK?

Flexinode and the Content Construction Kit are both modules designed to make it easy to create customized node types that contain a collection of customized fields. Both do most or all of the work from a web browser, and are designed to be usable by non-programmers.

Flexinode is a proof of concept; its uptake was a surprise to the developer. It turned out to be extremely popular and has become one of the most commonly used Drupal modules. It has, in a way, become a victim of its own popularity as developers began to worry that it was not really designed to scale for the major role it now occupies or the ways in which it might be used.

The Content Construction Kit, on the other hand, has been designed from the ground up as a scalable solution of the quality necessary for inclusion in the Drupal core. The plan is that this new and improved functionality will take over the duties of Flexinode. For the Drupal 4.7 release cycle, both Flexinode and CCK will coexist in the contributions repository. It is planned that the Content Construction Kit be submitted for inclusion in the next major Drupal version. People currently using Flexinode have been assured that an upgrade path from Flexinode to the Content Construction Kit will be provided.

There is a major philosophical distinction between the two systems. Flexinode focuses on the presentational aspects of content entry; in essence, it provides a method to design a content entry form, but the resulting content is treated as an atomic unit by the Drupal system. CCK, on the other hand, strives to focus on the semantics of content types. Fields are defined in CCK based on what they mean, rather than what they are labeled. This means that a single field can be present in multiple content types, and interesting queries can be performed that span these content types. For example, an event module could key off of the presence of a "start date" field, and include all items with a particular start date in a calendar view, even if those items belong to a variety of content types.

Souce : http://drupal.org/node/62504

I dont know much information about CMS, so sorry Varun , Adnan and others, i am unable to contribute much in those topics created by you guys. Even though i know its very useful, i dont know why i dont have interest in it Sad

But keep this topic going, and also hope you guys succeed in the motto which you had in mind when you guys started the CMS , DRUPAL, etc thread.

Ill surely try to contribute there, once i have much information about the same.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 3:27 PM
  • I have a suggestion. Lots of people are want to try out CMS. So lets install each CMS on a host and share the admin password with everyone. This way, everybody will get a chance to try it out...
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 3:45 PM
  • Good idea my friend. I am ready to do so, unless there is no security breach, or anyone can misuse it.

Let us know how to do it with detailed steps. May be ill give it a try and see.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 3:52 PM
  • Well, we should make one person responsible for registering with a free host and installing the CMS. That person should have previous experience with CMS and should be able to guide the rest. That person can then share the details of all the cms and the login information. This will be very interactive and very helpful in learning something new. What do you guys think?
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 4:07 PM
  • Thatz a really great idea and i dont mind keeping a server, but the problem is, that to keep the server running, u need to have a static ID and i dont have one.. I m thinking of preparing a website for my college which can be maintaided easily.. so I m trying to learn CMS, because in future it will be very easy to maintain it...

So, anyone has a static ID ???
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 4:46 PM
  • @Varun, lets experiment with a free host like 007ihost.com first. Once we are familiar with the system,we transfer to a static ID

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 4:50 PM
  • By static ID you mean static IP address  ? you can try www.no-ip.org and register there, its free. And download the updating client from there, so that it can keep updating the host with your new IP addresses whenever it changes.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 5:06 PM
  • sorry, buddy, i ment static IP Address.. but still converting it using no-ip.org will be costly as we have to work on a system, and changing the ip address again again will lead to breach in the security and will create a lot of loop holes.. the best is to install it locally and run it from localhost... I m doing the same thing.. we can all do lots of testing on it and share it here.. if you need any help in how to run it locally, i will help you out.. one of my friend helped me to run it.... running it locally is a good option...
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 5:29 PM
  • @adnan, I would have really loved to do the test on it, but rite now i m trying to learn Drupal, and it will be more than enough for me to grasp with the study load.. sorry buddy, but after i m over with drupal i will join you guys in it... so you all continue...
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 5:34 PM
  • Great news.. 4th quiz anounced.. check your mails for details...
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 5:36 PM
  • @Varun, i need your help. I want to access my system from the internet. I tried using no-ip.com, but couldnt succeed. I have an airtel connection and a beetel 220bx modem. I also downloaded the client. Whenever i go to my domain(registered with no-ip), i am redirected to my dsl login page.

My basic need is to access my files from the internet remotely and also host my website. Please advice....

Thursday, May 17, 2007 1:45 AM
  • Well Adnan, I m not so good in networks, I hv the knowledge from internet and talks only... but still i will try and also ask my seniors to sort out ur problem....

One more thing.. I m not sure that no-ip works so well.. are you able to access from any other computer ????
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 3:20 AM
  • Guys i am an expert in networking Wink

Ok adnan, i know whats the problem. The reason why you are getting your dsl modem's login page from external of your network is because the IP address corresponding to the no-ip host is of your modem's (router's) and not your PC. Your PC has a local IP address, which cannot be directly accessed from outside network.

The solution is to forward the port number 80 from the router's main page to your PC's port 80. In that case any connection made to no-ip on port 80 (i.e. HTTP) it will be forwarded to your PC. and hence you can access Smile

If you still have problems, let me know.
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 6:15 AM
  • Thanks for the advice Harshil. Do i need to set up a server like apache or iis to access my files on the system from the internet? Because i had already done what you adviced and it still directs me to the dsl login page.
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 7:26 AM
  • yes my friend, you will require some HTTP server running at port 80 on your local PC.
    I think IIS is easier to install, but apache is better Smile

If you are going to use microsoft products for the websites , then use iis, else apache will work just fine Smile
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 7:31 AM
  • This is driving me nuts. I re-checked my settings for IIS. It is configured at my local IP with port 80. Yet still when i try my domain (from no-ip) i still get the dsl page. How am i supposed to use Remote desktop to access my files???
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 8:21 AM
  • Hi guys, i join you for chat....
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 1:13 PM
  • Hey Adnan, please specify what you want to access from outside your computer?

whether its HTTP (web server) or Remote Desktop (sharing of the desktop), or any other service. Each and every service requires different ports to be forwarded, so first let me know which service you want to access from outside the network, then may be i can tell you which port you need to forward from your routers admin page.
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 1:24 PM
  • @Adnan - if you want more info about how to port forward, then i suggest you to see this site
    http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Beetel/220BX/220BXindex.htm

when you open that page, you will see the list of softwares that you want to configure for port forwarding along with the default port for each of the softwares listed there. You can select the software, and it will show you along with screenshots howto set it up.

If you still have any doubts, you can always let me know Wink
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 1:28 PM
  • Thanks Harshil,

I want to access HTTP and Remote desktop. Thats why i configured my router to forward both ports 80 and 3389 to my ip. I did everything i could. Maybe no-ip isnt a good option for me, and i should try my luck with an alternative. Hope the one which works is free...

Thursday, May 17, 2007 4:20 PM
  • Most of the things are going bouncer to me because i hv still not studied about ports and networks.. My friend had helped me setup Drupal and tought me how to set it up.. now he left the ground to me, its a new thing to learn and dosent require so much knowledge..

but looks like you all have good knowledge in networks... good keep it up.. will try to learn from your conversations...
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 5:40 PM
  • Hey man you can never learn networking frmo the theory. I knew all the networking when i was in 12th Stick out tongue. I have studied computer-networks, but still i have not found anything that could teach the practical settings about the port forwarding etc etc.

@Adnan - Did you update the dns in the no-ip website ? of not then you need to do, you can download the "Dynamic DNS update client" from  http://www.no-ip.com/downloads.php

Install that and make it start as a service, so that it will start whenever your pc boots. It will also keep updating the IP address in the no-ip site database, so that your host will point to the latest IP address.

I think you need to update the IP address, so that it can point it properly to your computer.
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 6:14 PM
  • Sorry guys for this *** post. But i wanted to be the one who posted the 100th post in this thread Smile
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 6:15 PM
  • Thanks Harshil, again re-tried everything, but no success. Anyway, i am trying out different alternatives, will let you know, which works out...
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 6:28 PM
  • I have one more idea that you can check. try turning of any firewall that you are using, or add the softwares as an exception in your firewall settings.
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 6:51 PM
  • Ok. will try it buddy....
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 8:26 PM

but looks like you all have good knowledge in networks... good keep it up.. will try to learn from your conversations...
    Same here :-)
    Friday, May 18, 2007 11:02 AM
  • After all the hard work, no success. So i searched for alternatives and found http://www.logmein.com . The website is cool, and allows you to acces your system from anywhere on the internet, by using thier client on the host machine. If anybody was looking for a similar solution and has any doubts, please feel free to ask.

Hopefully, i will be able to log into my own computer wothout the use of a service like logmein. But i guess i need to learn more about networking. Till then free softwares RULE!!!

Friday, May 18, 2007 11:15 AM
  • adnan, here are a few

www.gotomypc.com

www.pcanywhere.com

hope this helps...

Friday, May 18, 2007 11:31 AM
  • Ya That Was Usefull .......
    Friday, May 18, 2007 11:59 AM
  • Thanks buddy. Any service which is free. I am very impressed with the festures of pcanywhere. Nice s/w. Good suggestion.
    Friday, May 18, 2007 12:17 PM
  • Hi guys ...... check this site .....

This site is awesome ....

http://www.imagechef.com

Regards
    MoHaN
    Friday, May 18, 2007 12:59 PM
  • But Adnan, I was not able to understand the use of trying to access your own computer from your own computer... watz the logic of doing this or what can you derive from it???
    Friday, May 18, 2007 3:06 PM
  • ya Varun is exactly right...this is the reason for having official forums...
    Friday, May 18, 2007 3:50 PM
  •  @Varun, i want to access my system from the internet. It usually happens, that when i am working on a project somewhere else, i realise i forgot a file and cant continue my work. To stop this from happening i wanted to access my system remotely and transfer the files, whenever necessay.
    Friday, May 18, 2007 5:54 PM
  • Alright, now i understand.. but have you tried Gmail drive.. you can use it to save and share files easily.. try it out.. this is what i do to transfer files from my college lab and home.. but now i have a pen drive, so work on it, but still gmail drive is a good option..
    Friday, May 18, 2007 6:25 PM
  • Yeah i am using it. Good suggestion....
    Friday, May 18, 2007 7:52 PM
  • Hey if you want to access the files and download/upload them, why waste the bandwidth and access the whole desktop. Why not just install a ftp server instead ? its the best option for transferring of the files.

One good and popular ftp server is Serv-U, but its not available for free. I suggest you to get filezilla ftp server, its opensource and free, also its really easy to use and configure.

Its free available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/
    Filezilla is a ftp server as well as a ftp client, you can download the server and install it at your home. if you are allowed, then you can install the filezilla ftp client at your work place, and if you are not allowed, then you can still access your files on the ftp server from the web browsers. But you cannot upload files using the web browsers. To upload the files, you will require either a file upload HTTP / PHP/asp script or either a ftpclient. The ftp cilent is the best option in my opinion.
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 4:36 PM
  • Thats a cool option Harshil.

But my requirement is that, i work on the move all the time. I am not aware beforehand what files i may need throughout the day. Also i might waste lot of time just uploading all the files unnecessarily and then realise the file i need isnt uploaded. Thats why ftp and google drive and even  the pen drive cannot be a solution for me.

Thats why i wanted to remotely acess my system so that i can transfer the files on demand.

Saturday, May 19, 2007 10:03 PM
  • I think even after you login through remote Desktopn, you will see the files in the explorer. and then you will have to copy and paste it if you share the drives while doing remote desktop.

But the same list of files you can see with the use of ftp server Smile you just need to connect to the ftp server, and it will show you an entire list of files that you have mapped in your ftp server.

Anyways, its your choice what you want to use Smile
    Sunday, May 20, 2007 5:17 AM
  • Guys i want to ask something.. recently i visited some of the webcasts.. But it was not so clear, the voice was barely audible and constant, where as when i saw an offline webcast, i.e. prerecorded one, it was working great...

so is there any setting in the live meeting that i have to do?? becasue unless that i cannot attend the webcasts, because i cannot understand what they are saying over there...
    Sunday, May 20, 2007 9:25 AM
  • hi varun  , the live meeting is very nice defaultly ... Why Cant You Uninstall and Intall it again !..If you are not getting right , then there is a problem with your sound card ...

Regards
    MohaN
    Sunday, May 20, 2007 9:44 AM
  • I am able to hear it properly.

First time when live meeting starts, i think it downloads the entire ppt show, and/documents to a temporary folder. May be as you have less bw, its taking time to download them. It takes about 0.5 to 2 minutes at my end to load them. After that, i am able to hear the sound and the content very clearly.

Varun i think it might be some bandwidth issue at your end.
    Sunday, May 20, 2007 10:47 AM
  • Guys, When i try to see live webcast which has already happened before, i mean there are some webcasts which can be seen afterwards and you dont have to download them,,, you can run them live.. at that time there is no such issue and it works perfectly...

but at the time of live meeting.. i have this problem.. also i noticed that the bandwith is not falling short because the bits being downloaded are too less compared to the bandwith i m allowed...

Is there any other setting... I will try to reinstall...
    Sunday, May 20, 2007 11:50 AM
  • Even i was experiencing the same problem in the last AJAX webcast. I dont think it has anything to do with bandwidth or sound card. Cos i have a 256 kbps connection, and i never encountered a problem while playing my songs.

I think there was problem from the presenter side. Cos i remember in the last session, the evangelist was apologising for the bad voice and display...

Sunday, May 20, 2007 1:13 PM
  • I wasn't able to attend the AJAX webcast. I think it might be a problem at their end.
    Sunday, May 20, 2007 1:33 PM
  • even i was not able to attend the webcasts guys, i really wanted to attend the one on silverlight and the other on ajax.....well would have to see it offline i guess....

@varun - offline webcats work fine, but u only get points if you attend the live webcasts?....[correct me if i am wrong]

Secondly?..i wanted to ask something.....if we see a live webcast of microsoft from 230 to 4 ... how much of the data it consumes?...

Monday, May 21, 2007 11:14 AM
  • the data consumption wud be around 400-500MB...also thers no point in giving points for those webcasts...v r students and they have their webcasts lined up at around some 2:00 - 5:00 PM how come we will be able to watch them...
    Monday, May 21, 2007 12:34 PM

even i was not able to attend the webcasts guys, i really wanted to attend the one on silverlight and the other on ajax.....well would have to see it offline i guess....

@varun - offline webcats work fine, but u only get points if you attend the live webcasts?....[correct me if i am wrong]

Secondly?..i wanted to ask something.....if we see a live webcast of microsoft from 230 to 4 ... how much of the data it consumes?...

The constant datastream for the audio of that webcast is between 1.2kBps - 2kBps. I think youc an very well calculate it how much mb will it take for 2 hours webcast Smile that makes around less than 8MB per hour + the data consumed in showing the slideshows, and application screenshots. I think they in total wont be more than 3-4 MB.

You are right about theoffline webcasts. You will not get points for viewing the offline webcasts .
    Monday, May 21, 2007 2:03 PM
  •  Jayakumar_J_8dc269 wrote:
    the data consumption wud be around 400-500MB...also thers no point in giving points for those webcasts...v r students and they have their webcasts lined up at around some 2:00 - 5:00 PM how come we will be able to watch them...

Thereis no wat it will consume 400-500MB data man. I dont know from where you made this calculation. i have attended many webcasts, so i know ow much data is consumed.
    Monday, May 21, 2007 2:05 PM
  • But i have found that viewing off line webcasts is more convineient than current running.. offline are working fine with me, but current webcasts are like the faulted tape recorder....
    Monday, May 21, 2007 3:43 PM
  • Offline webcasts have better quality than the live ones. But it will not contribute to the ponits. But who cares, we are getting to learn so much from there, 10 points just dont matter much . Its always good to get those 10 points after logging in the webcasts, and then viewing the offline after the live is over Smile
    In that way you can get both the 10 points, and the webcast Wink
    Monday, May 21, 2007 5:04 PM
  • Part from getting the 10 points for the webcasts, you also get a chance to win MS goodies by answering a few questions about the webcast once it is over...

More prizes. YIPPEE!!!

Monday, May 21, 2007 5:44 PM
  • Yes m8, we can also win ms goodies. But i dont think i would do any good there, i tried answering lots of webcasts earlier, but no goodies i got Stick out tongue i think my luck is bad. So i just dont want to try it anymore. i dont think even a single rockstar have got any goodie from answering the question.
    Monday, May 21, 2007 6:07 PM
  •  Harshil_Patel_03b5f2 wrote:

even i was not able to attend the webcasts guys, i really wanted to attend the one on silverlight and the other on ajax.....well would have to see it offline i guess....

The constant datastream for the audio of that webcast is between 1.2kBps - 2kBps. I think youc an very well calculate it how much mb will it take for 2 hours webcast that makes around less than 8MB per hour + the data consumed in showing the slideshows, and application screenshots. I think they in total wont be more than 3-4 MB.

You are right about theoffline webcasts. You will not get points for viewing the offline webcasts .

oh thats surprising and exciting, because everything gets rounded up to 30-40 megs for the entire webcast..thats ok.....

But to tell you something, i attended a webcast and i checked the datausage provided by bsnl...it totalled up to 100 megs for the entire webcast...and not to forget, i did not do much activities during the webcast, may be a few email pages and a couple of rockstars announcements ....

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 1:24 PM
  • @Harshil, i dont think the results for the webcasts for this year have been announced till now. I have also attended and answered many questions for the webcasts. I guess we will just have to wait and hope for the best. Good luck!!!
    Tuesday, May 22, 2007 1:47 PM
    @Anoop - I have never got that much data usage for the webcast. since 2 days, there are being 2 webcasts daily, and even combined both of them, the total data transfer is no more than 70MB
    I dont know why you got that much data transfer.

ummm now this is surprising....do all the webcasts have the same datatransfer rate?

Harshil, start a new thread yaar, its 10 pages now.....it difficult to navigate yaar....

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 1:55 PM
  • Hey guys, check out the new contest from Microsoft with exciting prizes like XBox 360, usb players , microsoft t-shirts and other goodies. Check out this link

http://www.developerknowledgedrive.com/register.aspx?RFID=346038

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 2:16 PM
  • Thanks adnan, i have signed up under you Smile.

I have one problem in that contest, i referred two friends, they signed up with the link provided to them in the referral mail, still i haven't got points for the same. when are the points updated ?
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 4:21 PM
  • Ok guys, upon your request i am starting a new thread, as this thread has grown to large, and its becoming hard to navigate through pages.

I request all of you guys to continue in the following thread.
    Here is the link for the continuation of this thread.

Guys Chat Here - Part-II
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 4:26 PM
  • Yup, I registered too..
    but this is no competition.. its only newsletter registration...
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 4:35 PM

All replies

• That is a good idea, but then you when you get this much freedom, you dont have any thing to chat about.. so its harder to find chat without a topic... so its both way contradiction.. what do you say???
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 11:47 AM
  • I think you are right Varun. But I just thought to give it a try, and hope it goes well. Nothing to loose if people dont chat here Smile
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 4:28 PM
  • Hi guys, i join you for chat....lets initiate a topic fr discussion?..wat say?
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 7:44 PM
  • Hey buddy, dont ask for permission,, if you find the floor vacant, than grab the opportunity.. so go ahead and start a topic..
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 2:35 AM
  • Man you can start any topic you want.

I guess Ill start a topic, but dont think that if we start a topic, only discussions about the same will be allowed Smile you can talk about multiple topics, just mention in your post about what topic you are talking about Smile

Okay guys, lets start our discussions about "Your experience with Vista" ?

Thursday, May 3, 2007 3:29 AM
  • I have installed vista long time ago. It was working perfectly okay, and then suddenly i added a new lan card, and then it stopped working.

The lan card is working perfectly in winxp, but yes, even vista still shows that BSOD Stick out tongue

I tried changing the lan card slots, but still no good. I then tried changing the graphics card, and then it worked. What does vista have to do with gfx and lan card Stick out tongue i then restarted, and again it stopped working, i put back my old graphics card, and now that also don gets detected.

I tried removing all the lan cards (2 nos) and then started vista, it worked fine, but then agani after restart it stopped working. I dont know why vista has such compatibility issues. And FYI the version of beta is full version ULTIMATE. and not any betas or RC.

any of you faced any compatibiilty issues. ?
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 3:32 AM
  • I had tried Vista home Basic... I didnt had any such problems... the lan card was not detected before as it is an external one.. all other parts that are on motherboard get their drivers directly...
    Than i had installed the lan drivers for xp in Vista and it installed and worked perfectly... No such problems...

But vista costs too much memory.. I have only 512 and need to work on Oracle and VB, so its not possible to have them on vista, it might get installed but i hardly believe it will give the same performance as on XP....
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 10:07 AM
  • I guess winxp is the best for home users Smile

I am planning to format my vista partition as its using 8 gb  and also slowing my pc, hahahaa

I dont see any fayda after installing vista , other than the WOW for graphics Stick out tongue
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 1:37 PM
  • why Vista ?? i didnt found anything so attractive in it.. speacially looking at my current hardware status, I dont see any need for Vista as I dont have a graphics Card...
    So tell me, if you dont have a Graphics Card, what is the differece between VISTA & XP....

Tell me the facilities of Vista, I will tell you the alternative for it in XP...
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 2:47 PM
  • Yes m8, i afree with you Varun.

Even i feel that winxp is better for us than Vista. Smile

Vista aint required for us at the moment. We can do all the works from winxp.
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 2:50 PM
  • Man i am back into 4th rank Sad

Allauddin is cheating , i think he is misusing the referals ;(
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 2:51 PM
  • Hi

I appriciating ur feelings but I this area is not like a messenger.... we have to work alots to get more points.....may be ur free or have alots of points but I dnt have so better i should think about the points first then only I can think about this...

Another thing I forget that all the users are noticed by the Microsoft  so dont think ur free to write every thing here....

they are reducing the points of the users which are using as FAKE information to the available usres...

Keep It  in Mind.... dont feel  bad////

So better u concentrate on the work...

Thursday, May 3, 2007 8:27 PM
  • I dont know on what point do you think that Microsoft people will get furious...
    One of the main reasons why microsoft runs this forums is to be among the customers to get their views... so dont hesitate to give your points, because they will be more than happy to hear your comments.. this is the way they will know of their drawbacks and will try to improve on them...

So let is all flow, give out your points and stop worrying about what they will think.. they will take all this positively
    Friday, May 4, 2007 2:11 AM
  • @Raman - Man we know what we are exactly doing. We try to spend our precious free time on this forum. Whenever we get time we spend our time in this forum, not just to earn points, but also to help others and also gain knowledge.

We are also humans, we get tired doing the same thing again and again, and thats why we have started this thread so that people who are tired, atleast can relax here, give their views about anything they like, and refresh themselves Smile Its just like a virtual community.

Also Microsoft dont monitor each and every post, its virtually impossible. Apart from Samvaad there are lots and lots of other forums in Microsoft, if MS starts monitoring everything, then they will have to shutdown their main job i.e software development. They record information, but they seldom go through it . They keep the information so that in future if they require, they can refer it, and also we guys can refer to old old threads and posts also.
    Friday, May 4, 2007 5:34 AM
  • ..so getting back to topic....

harshil have you participated in the imagine cup?...and how was your quizcompetition buddy...i missed the quiz competion, as i registered very late, actually i came to know, about this thing quite late....

Friday, May 4, 2007 8:51 PM
  • Yes Harshil share your Imagine cup expereince...
    Even I was late for the competition, but i was able to get a glimse of the Algorithm competition,
    The herbert one... it was good.. i was only able to give 1 week to it, but though had scored somewhat 600th rank in that competition.. but they took only top 200 for the 2nd level....
    Saturday, May 5, 2007 2:20 AM
  • Ok about the imagine cup, i had signed for i as soon as it started. But as i was having exams during the time it was launched, i didnt give it much importance. Also i solved lot of Herbert (algorithm) levels, but didn;t make it to rank 200. Also i was able to attempt only one of the rounds of herbert. I didn't knew about this algo quiz, but as soon as i knew, i was again having exams,so still i tried solving as many i could during exams. But didn;t make it.

But i dont regret it , better luck next time Smile

I guess Varun has said about his Imagine cup experience.
    What about you Anooop ?
    Saturday, May 5, 2007 4:59 AM
  • hi harshil, no imagine cup experience for me buddy, its already close, they are into 2 or 3 round i guess....actually i had registered on 29 apr.....i had missed the starting action of this thing....

Saturday, May 5, 2007 8:02 PM
  • Hey i have a new topic on which i would like to get your views on.

"With the introduction of 802.11n and ipv6, we could acces the internet, the tv, the music system and even the microwave with the Mobile Phone wirelessly. Do you think that the mobile phone will be the greatest electronic device?"

Saturday, May 5, 2007 10:21 PM
  • Well I think that Mobile was the greatest invention, but now it has become more essential than anything else... I dont understand why a 8 year kid needs to keep a mobile, but go to any school, you will find a dozen of kids with mobile....
    The amount of talk we used to do on telephone has increased rapidly.. we are just talking talking all the time... that too unnecessarily...

And now this... though mobile technology has reached a different end, but now it is used very less for talking purpose.. it all about games, internet and all on the mobile...
    If what you say is correct than i fear that its going to dominate the minds of the people now
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 4:26 AM

Sunday, May 6, 2007 4:48 AM
  • Man i think the use of mobiles has been very positive in the community. But it is also responsible for deviating our concentration from our studies. Cause small kids, even use the mobiles that has music, games, etc etc, and as kids are easily vulnerable to games, music etc, they tend to do less-well in their studies. Hence it does increase productivity of the students.

When we were kits did we ever feel the need for a mobile, other than just a dream ? It was not inevitable. But after the popularization of the mobiles, even small kids feel that it is inevitable to live without a mobile Stick out tongue
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 7:02 AM
  • Yeah I agree with you both. But i have a thought i want to share. We think mobiles will be bad for kids, is this is because we didnt have mobiles when we were kids? A lot of kids use computers, which can be productive if used in a proper way. Why cant the same be possible with mobiles?
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 9:49 AM
  • Well, it can be productive.. but point out that productive use... one possible case is for the security reasons of the kids, that they may carry a mobile phone.. but than there is always an elder around or big people around to help them out.. so why do they need to carry mobile ???

give us some of the points where you think that it will be productive for kids....

Even i have a mobile right now.. but its hardly of any use to me as i use the landline more often.. i have friends without a cell, so how do they manage to do it???
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 11:23 AM
  • hi guys.....

how r u all????

can i join ur chat with ur permission?.

Sunday, May 6, 2007 12:20 PM
  • Well Sunil, no one needs a invitation to join the chat.. its an open forum.. so just hop in...
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 12:55 PM
  • Varun, you are right. The technology can never be justified, it is rather its implementation. Mobile phones have a lot of cool productive softwares. For example, i carry a dictionary software, so i can look up the meaning of any word while i am on the move. I have seen a lot of kids using softwares which teach them new words in foreign languages. They want to impress everybody with thier kowledge in foriegn lanaguages.

Lets look at this from a different point of view. Mobile phones use lots of different technologies, like Bluetooth, Flash cards, etc. Ask any common person and he may reply that he doesnt have a clue. But ask a kid who has a mobile, and he will go on about all the bluetooth devies available. In short, mobiles are also helping people in increasing awareness about various technologies also. What do you think?

Sunday, May 6, 2007 1:44 PM
  • thnx varun,

friends, lets interduce myself before chat,

My name is Sunil. 23 yrs. Completed BSc as my subjects as electronics, mathematics and computer science. now i am persuing M.C.A . reading, listening,playing chess, doing yoga are my hobbies.

How about u friends???

Feel free to talk. lets share and enjoy.

Bye

Sunday, May 6, 2007 2:21 PM
  • Well ask the same kid something from his/her school curriculum, do you think he will be able to answer it?? most of them wont... so this is my point.. no doubt there are benefits of the technology... but is that kid suppose to give priority to school or the cool stuff???

I think that school comes first.. but this is not the case today...
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 2:44 PM
  • this is really a great idea and i wud like to join u...
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 2:47 PM
  • Jayakumar, there is nothing to ask my friend. Just join us and discuss anything you like.
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 2:48 PM
  • Man the most important thing that we need to consider here is the kids choice. Whether he wants to use his mobile to increase his productivity, or just use it for pleasure. But as small kids dont have good decision power, i guess they can get carried away to the negative side.
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 3:12 PM
  • Valid points my friends. so let us adults enjoy mobiles, for fun and study....

I have another question. "Which programming language do you prefer and are most comfortable with?"

Sunday, May 6, 2007 3:29 PM
  • I have studied Cobol, C, C++

For handling file, cobol is too good...
    for other things C++ rules the charts...
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 5:43 PM
  • Yeah, i also like C++
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 5:51 PM
  • C/C++, VB, VB.net, cobol, foxpro, java and pl/sql and also unix shell scripting, VC++ as well, and many more.
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 7:15 PM
  • wow thats a lot of languages!!!
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 8:00 PM

sure buddy

Sunday, May 6, 2007 9:03 PM
  • Thatz true... lots of languages Harshil, do they teach this many languages in the college or you studied some on your own ???
    Monday, May 7, 2007 4:04 AM
    Thatz true... lots of languages Harshil, do they teach this many languages in the college or you studied some on your own ???

The ones that i have listed are the few of the ones that i was taught at college Smile

Apart from those i was also taught Assembly, Oracle, etc Smile

Apart from the above, i have learnt the following programming languages on my own : VB, VB.NET, Javascript, PHP, HTML, mySQL, C#, TCL, a bit of perl, xml, css, xsl, etc etc  Smile
    Monday, May 7, 2007 5:34 AM
  • Hi,

My Name is Arijit Chatterjee and I have joined quite recently.

I would like to suggest that you go in for Pyhton Programming. I have worked on it for a month or so and I found it to be very powerful, simple and esay to use and reuse.

It has features of LISP and Prolog, like lists, dictionaries etc, readymade APIs like java. One can easily connect to databases or make GUIs using Python. Variable declaration is not required at all.

I believe it is the next big thing in OOP and really coming into the foray gradually and really worth taking a peek.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 3:56 PM
  • hmm, seems interesting.. can you put some more light on it and also where to find reference material for it???
    Wednesday, May 9, 2007 4:02 PM
  • Yes m8, please give us some examples, or links to it.
    Also what editor, and compiler to use for creating the programs. I guess you have 1 month experience with it, you must be knowing enough to explain us the basics.
    Wednesday, May 9, 2007 4:39 PM
  • Yeah, the new version for Python supported by .net is called Iron Python. You can learn more about it, and download some startet kits to start learing development on http://www.asp.net in the downloads section. If i come across more info, will definitely share....

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 4:44 PM
  • Thanks adnan, will surely have a look at it  and give it a try.
    Wednesday, May 9, 2007 5:23 PM
  • hi guys anybody interested in developing mobile softwares...
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 3:19 PM
  • Yes Jayakumar, I am very interested in developing Mobile applications especially Games. I am also a member of the Microsoft Mobile and Embedded Development Community, Hyd. If you need some info from my side please let me know.
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 3:27 PM
  • yup, me interested too, but i dont know anything about it.. can you put some more light on it???
    All I know is that most of the applications are made in Java ver which is specially made for mobiles because we need very small size of the applications...

So where can you study more about it?? Please give some links to it....
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 3:39 PM
  • Well we use .net cf (Compact Framework) for developing the applications. If you want to start building your own apps, just download the Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC SDK and Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone SDK. You will also need ActiveSync v4 and above, for synchronizing between your computer and your mobile device. You will also need a device emulator to test your apps. The programming language as with .net can be VB.net or C#. If you are all interested to know more about Mobile software development and even want to learn building your first game, please let me know. I will start a new thread and post the information.
    Learning is fun.
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 4:37 PM
  • Yes m8, that would be a good idea to also start a mobile programming discussion thread. Please start a new thread about it and give us some small tutorials and links so that even we can learn about it.

I know its an interesting subject, but many people just ignore it. I dont know why...

And one good news m8, webcasts about it are giong to be conducted, I hope everyone will be able to attend them as they would be having vacations during that time..

http://www.microsoft.com/india/webcasts/
    Webcasts on ASP.NET AJAX and WPF/E

Date & Time

Title

May 16, 2007

Exploring ASP.NET AJAX – Part II

After exploring ASP.NET AJAX Extensions and the Update Panel control, here we start exploring the other handy controls such as Update Progress, Triggers etc., Also, we will explore how Microsoft ASP.NET AJAX helps web developers make network callbacks directly from client-side script code.

May 17, 2007

ASP.NET AJAX Control Toolkit

Learn how to extend your ASP.NET AJAX applications using the ASP.NET AJAX Control Toolkit. We will also see how ASP. Net’s standard DropDownList can become AJAX-enabled using the Cascading Dropdown control extender from the ASP.NET AJAX Control Toolkit

May 18, 2007

Silverlight: Light up the web!

Microsoft Silverlight, formerly known as “WPF/E”, doesn’t just have a new name. It has a lot of new features announced at MIX 07 and you can find out about all of these in this session. Learn how to light up the web with Silverlight.

May 21, 2007

First Look at Silverlight Media capabilities

Microsoft Silverlight, formerly known as “WPF/E”, has rich media capabilities that can play industry-standard audio/video and is ideal for building rich media Internet applications. Learn these technologies and unleash the power of rich media in your applications.

May 22, 2007

Silverlight and .NET – Integrated power and flexibility

Microsoft Silverlight integrates with .NET to leverage several powerful features and scenarios. Learn how Silverlight can work seamlessly with .NET and how you can build cross-platform Rich Internet Applications (RIAs).

Webcast on Windows Mobile 5.0 and Embedded CE 6.0

Date & Time

Title

May 16, 2007

Windows Embedded CE 6.0: Graphics Pipeline

This session will introduce to the rich graphics architecture of Windows Embedded CE 6.0. You will learn the basics of the GDI, DirectDraw and Direct3D interfaces and also learn when and how to apply them in your device applications. This session will cover both the device driver and application aspects of the graphics pipeline and help you fully exploit the power of the CE 6 graphics architecture.

May 17, 2007

Windows Embedded CE 6.0: Multimedia Architecture

This webcast will take you on a tour of the enhanced multimedia features supported by CE 6 and the underlying architecture that makes it all possible. We will look at DirectShow and its extensible filter graph mechanism for handling media streams. We will also briefly look at the device drivers that play a crucial role in enabling and supporting this architecture. Lastly we will touch upon performance tuning of multimedia devices using CE.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 5:03 PM
  • yes adnan, even i am interested in the mobile applications development thing, so pls enlighten us....it will be good to study abt mobile pps development....looking forward to it
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 7:08 PM
  • Thanks for the encouragement. I will start the thread soon, and provide as much info as possible.
    Friday, May 11, 2007 12:23 AM
  • Best of luck Adnan Smile
    Friday, May 11, 2007 5:40 AM
  • Hey guys, lets discuss on this topic now.

Why is it called windows phone ? cause the OS used is windows ? in that case we can have even other high end mobile phnoes have the windows OS ....

Friday, May 11, 2007 5:42 AM
  • Windows phones are examples of PocketPc's. These devices run on Windows Compact Edition OS. The major difference between pocket pc and smartphone is that, pocket pc supports more applications like the office suite and has much more features apart from the mobile capabilites. Another thing is that major smartphones in the market use the Symbian OS.

Correct me if i am wrong.

Friday, May 11, 2007 6:26 AM
  • FOr more information about Mobile Application Development, please visit

http://forums.microsoft.com/SamVaad/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1586986&SiteID=43

Friday, May 11, 2007 6:33 AM
  • Hi Hussain, im jus abt to begin it...and wud like to develop applications for Symbian OS enabled phones...i wud be happy if u share some knowledge abt it...can i have ur mail-id pls...
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 8:27 AM
  • Mark Lutz, one of the most well known names in Python, tells us why he feels Python is now a  major programminglanguage. He speaks about the things he likes about Python and the various areas where Python is being used  today.

He also elaborates on why Python seems like the right answer to some major issues in software development.

According to him, Python's basic model is a simple core language, and the core doesn't need much more. He'd like to

see effort put into things like optimization and just-in-time compilers, instead of esoteric language extensions that

may only appeal to the top 5% of the Python user base.

I'm amazed at how far Python has come

(Sunday, 27 November 2005) - Contributed by Content Team

{mosgoogle}

PythonThreads >> Hi Mark, could you please introduce yourself?

Mark Lutz >> Sure, I'm Mark Lutz, Python trainer and author of multiple O'Reilly Python books. I've been involved with Python since 1992, and started teaching Python classes in 1997. I have taught 150 classes and thousands of new Python programmers over the years. I'm also the author of Python's earliest and best-selling texts to date, including Programming Python, Learning Python (I'm the main co-author), and Python Pocket Reference. All my Python books are in 2nd or 3rd Editions. I'm also a software engineer with two decades of experience, and BS and MS degrees in computer science.

PythonThreads >> You have been using and promoting Python for over a decade, what made you stay with Python for so long and what according to you makes Python special as compared to other languages?

Mark Lutz >> Python makes programming fun. When I found it on the net back in 1992, I was a frustrated C++ programmer. Python was so much better that I'd never go back to a language as tedious as C++. Python seemed, and still seems, like the right answer to some major issues in software development: it focuses on quality, coherence, and so on, in ways that other tools do not. These days I get paid to teach Python, not program in it, but I still find myself hacking Python in my free time purely for the aesthetic pleasure of it."Python was so much better that I'd never go back to a language as tedious as C++..."

PythonThreads >> Powerful tools have driven the growth of many programming languages. Do you think Python tools are up to the mark? How would you compare the various Python tools and IDEs available today?

Mark Lutz >> I'm not sure that IDEs are as crucial to Python programmers as that question may imply. What I see is that people gravitate to what they are used to--IDEs for some, just a shell command line and text editor for others. Having said that, the IDLE IDE did wonders to help beginners in my experience; it's a friendly environment to get started in. It also tends to break down for more advanced programming, though -- I don't use it for GUIs or multithreading, for

instance. I've seen people using Eclipse for Python recently (and giving mixed reviews), as well as Komodo and Wing. PythonWin is nice too, but it tends to hang frequently. You'll find GUI builders for Python too, but you shouldn't confuse Python with a Visual Basic type of tool; Python is a programming language for programmers -- not something for building GUIs without much if any code."You shouldn't confuse Python with a Visual Basic type of tool..."

PythonThreads >> Developers can now use Python language for mobile application development, Do you see Python becoming a popular language of mobile development and maybe replace Java in mobile application development some day?

Mark Lutz >> Sure, but I don't try to predict the future; I'm amazed at how far Python has already come, and many of it's leading applications are things we couldn't have predicted when Python was first starting out (when I found Python, there was no website, just a set of uuencoded email messages).Much of Python's future will probably be just as unforeseen."I'm amazed at how far Python has already come..."{mospagebreak title=Current Python developments - Interfaces in Python - Promoting Python}

PythonThreads >> Which of the current python developments do you find most exciting?

Mark Lutz >> I think the port to the Nokia cellphone line is quite cool. I also find Python's use in high-profile systems such as Google, ILM, the BitTorrent P2P system, and the ESRI GIS product to be interesting. The latter of those has a one million customer base, for instance. Statistics such as book sales and training demand are also upbeat."I find Python's use in high-profile systems such as Google, ILM ...." PythonThreads >> Guido van Rossum has emphasized on the use of Interfaces in python. Do you see a need for interfaces?

Mark Lutz >> We already have them. I see interfaces as an informal thing underlying most of Python programming, not requiring special syntax. Every object already provides an interface -- a set of method calls and expression operators -- which defines it. In Python, we code to these interfaces, not to specific datatypes: a function assumes its subject objects do the right thing for the expected interface, but doesn't care what the objects are, or for that matter, how they respond to the operations run against them. By not constraining code to a specific type, it applies to a whole range of types automatically. This idea is one of the keys to understanding the language, and underlies much of its conciseness and flexibility (what some would call agility). But like I said, to me it seems like this a fixture of the language which has been there from day 1, not a new thing, and not something that requires complicating the language with new syntax."I see interfaces as an informal thing underlying most of Python programming...."

PythonThreads >> Which features would you like to see in future python versions?

Mark Lutz >> I don't think the core language itself needs much more at this point. Down that path lies Java, C++, and Perl6. I'd rather see work on libraries and tools. I'd also like to see effort put into things like optimization and just-in-time compilers, instead of esoteric language extensions that may only appeal to the top 5% of the Python user base. Python's basic model is a simple core language, with application tools split off to application libraries. That makes for a

very modular system, which is easily extended, and easily learned. The problem with adding things to the core language instead of its standard libraries is that it raises the complexity bar for everyone -- both the advanced users asking for language changes, as well as people looking to use a simple language for things like product customization. Unfortunately, once anyone in an organization uses an advanced language feature, it is no longer optional for everyone

else."I'd also like to see effort put into things like optimization and just-in-time compilers...."

PythonThreads >> An important reason for Java being so popular is that it had IT giants like Sun, IBM and ORACLE promoting it. Although Google and Yahoo do say that they use a lot of python, nobody seems to be promoting Python ?

Mark Lutz >> Sorry, but I don't buy the premise of this question. Python is very widely used these days, and if you haven't noticed, it's just because you haven't been looking in the right places. I see Python being used in virtually every substantial software enterprise -- whether as a tactical tool for quick scripts, or as a strategic tool for longer-term projects. Granted, it took Python longer to catch on than Java (which benefited from lots of marketing money). But it definitely hit a

critical mass a few years ago, and seems to be doubling in use yearly now. People using Python are promoting Python; it spreads of its own accord. The impact of Google may also be more significant than you seem to imply. "I see Python being used in virtually every substantial software enterprise...."

PythonThreads >> How would you say has python evolved over the years?

Mark Lutz >> It's made the lives of Python programmers easier. I have large Python programs I wrote in 1992 (including an expert system shell) that still work today unchanged with the latest Python release. That's a pretty amazing backward compatibility metric. However, if I were to update those programs today, I'd rewrite them substantially to take advantage of the tools Python has grown since then -- builtins that automate what I had done manually, or boost

performance."Python has amazing backward compatibility.... "

PythonThreads >> Python has been around for a very long long time but it never managed to become a major programming language. What do you think were the reasons and do you see things changing?

Mark Lutz >>Again, not so: Python is a major programming language today. I see it being used as much as things like Java, C++, and Perl these days. Acceptance took time, but this field is slower to make improvements in tools than most people may think. "Python is a major programming language today....

"PythonThreads >> . How do you see years? Is it likely that it will become as mainstream as say Java or .NET?

Mark Lutz >> Sigh; this seems to be a recurring theme :-). One more time: Python already is mainstream in the industry at large. Not to be rude, but I could list a few hundred major companies and organizations to ask if you don't want to take my word for it. I think the user base will keep growing from year to year; like I said, it passed the critical mass point a few years ago. .NET has become mainstream? Maybe in your world, but not for most of us.".NET has become mainstream? Maybe in your world, but not for most of us....."

PythonThreads >>Thanks Mark. It's been good talking to you. Could you share your blog url or email address with our readers?

Mark Lutz >> I have a web page at http://www.rmi.net/~lutz . My email is (lutz at rmi dot net), but I'm not always as responsive there as I'd like; I'm too busy these days teaching this obscure language called Python on a weekly basis :-).

Related:

>> There is a real need of Interfaces : Guido van Rossum

>> Review of Python's ongoing improvements

>> Are you interested in programming your mobile device?

http://www.pythonthreads.com - Python Programming Portal Powered by Mambo Generated: 22 December, 2006, 01:17

Saturday, May 12, 2007 10:50 AM
  • Hi,

This is the official website of python:

http://www.python.org/

The latest version of python is available for download here.

Python is a dynamic object-oriented programming language that can be used for many kinds of software development. It offers strong support for integration with other languages and tools, comes with extensive standard libraries, and can be learned in a few days. Many Python programmers report substantial productivity gains and feel the language encourages the development of higher quality, more maintainable code.

Python runs on Windows, Linux/Unix, Mac OS X, OS/2, Amiga, Palm Handhelds, and Nokia mobile phones (Mobile programming is much easier and powerful with python). Python has also been ported to the Java and .NET virtual machines.

Python is distributed under an OSI-approved open source license that makes it free to use, even for commercial products.

The Python Software Foundation (PSF) holds and protects the intellectual property rights behind Python, underwrites the PyCon conference, and funds grants and other projects in the Python community.

HAPPY PROGRAMMING WITH PYTHON !!!

Saturday, May 12, 2007 10:57 AM
  • Very nice information dude.. Just checking out.. Downloaded the setup.. will learn its programming next week in the vacation...
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 1:10 PM
  • Thanks guys, i am very thankful for the encouragement. Will continue to post more tutorials.
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 1:18 PM
  • After reading the TOOO long post, i think i am getting inclined to atleast try python. Its vacation time, and i can get my hands dirty on it Smile.
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 4:56 PM
  • ya its good.. i been through some of the tutorials given at the python.org
    it is also good.. should try it out.. the material over their is also good..
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 5:41 PM
    Hey guys, lets discuss on this topic now.

I always wanted to discuss about IWNDOWS phones and the difference too....well it seems the discussion had lost in the middle so let me bring it back....

infact i alaways wanted owning a windows mobile....

well harshil if you have any info, pls post...meanwhile i am poting what i have....other members pls discuss about this, as its a good topic...afterall who knows, a few years down the road, some of us must be in microsoft using windows mobile..what say guys?

Sunday, May 13, 2007 3:02 PM
  • @adnan - also the windows phone is capacle of playing windows media, without ahy conversion...it also supports the various extensions that windows OS has to offer....what i am eager to know is that, does it support .exe?....if it does doesnt it rock?..

also thanks for that forum link..

well heres one more link, which tells us about the features that windows mobile has to offer

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/about/default.mspx

Sunday, May 13, 2007 3:04 PM
  • Thanks for the link and information about it Anoop Smile

Guys if anyone has more details or experience with it, please share it.
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 7:34 PM
  • @Varun i request you to talk or give some information about your internet plan you are using , either here in this thread, or my another thread that is "Which ISP you got"

I think if its cost effective, then many may think of it if speed dont matter to them Smile
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 7:37 PM
  • yeah, do tell us about ur tata plan in the isp THRREAD, and also tell us the speed...
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 7:39 PM
  • Posted in the ISP thread.. with full details.. give your views on it and do tell me if you have something better than that in my usage criteria...
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 11:49 PM
  • Hey guys I have started a new thread for giving out some really cool topic...

here is the link...

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 9:36 AM
  • Good one m8. Ill have a look at it.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 10:33 AM
  • I know a thing or 2 about CMS, will share it with everyone on the above thread.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:09 PM
    Hey guys I have started a new thread for giving out some really cool topic...

here is the link...

CMS...its good...and very helpful for quick web developments when time is running...

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:12 PM

sure man......as long as u r informative and its knowledgeable, its always welcome....so just do it buddy

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:31 PM

That will be great Adnan.. rite now i m trying to learn Drupal.. its really very good... I had a hard time setting it up, but now its running...

Well you know something about Joomal, so you tell more about it and i will tell more about drupal.. so we can learn and do side by side comparision of both...

1st I m posting a small description of other systems available..
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 11:47 AM
  • Varun, your info in the CMS thread is great. But lets do a comparison of all the different CMS available. One more thing, i would also like to discuss is that the CMS is in PHP. How can we edit the files, so that we can customize everything including the admin panel.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 2:36 PM
  • What's The Difference Between Flexinode and CCK?

Flexinode and the Content Construction Kit are both modules designed to make it easy to create customized node types that contain a collection of customized fields. Both do most or all of the work from a web browser, and are designed to be usable by non-programmers.

Flexinode is a proof of concept; its uptake was a surprise to the developer. It turned out to be extremely popular and has become one of the most commonly used Drupal modules. It has, in a way, become a victim of its own popularity as developers began to worry that it was not really designed to scale for the major role it now occupies or the ways in which it might be used.

The Content Construction Kit, on the other hand, has been designed from the ground up as a scalable solution of the quality necessary for inclusion in the Drupal core. The plan is that this new and improved functionality will take over the duties of Flexinode. For the Drupal 4.7 release cycle, both Flexinode and CCK will coexist in the contributions repository. It is planned that the Content Construction Kit be submitted for inclusion in the next major Drupal version. People currently using Flexinode have been assured that an upgrade path from Flexinode to the Content Construction Kit will be provided.

There is a major philosophical distinction between the two systems. Flexinode focuses on the presentational aspects of content entry; in essence, it provides a method to design a content entry form, but the resulting content is treated as an atomic unit by the Drupal system. CCK, on the other hand, strives to focus on the semantics of content types. Fields are defined in CCK based on what they mean, rather than what they are labeled. This means that a single field can be present in multiple content types, and interesting queries can be performed that span these content types. For example, an event module could key off of the presence of a "start date" field, and include all items with a particular start date in a calendar view, even if those items belong to a variety of content types.

Souce : http://drupal.org/node/62504

I dont know much information about CMS, so sorry Varun , Adnan and others, i am unable to contribute much in those topics created by you guys. Even though i know its very useful, i dont know why i dont have interest in it Sad

But keep this topic going, and also hope you guys succeed in the motto which you had in mind when you guys started the CMS , DRUPAL, etc thread.

Ill surely try to contribute there, once i have much information about the same.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 3:27 PM
  • I have a suggestion. Lots of people are want to try out CMS. So lets install each CMS on a host and share the admin password with everyone. This way, everybody will get a chance to try it out...
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 3:45 PM
  • Good idea my friend. I am ready to do so, unless there is no security breach, or anyone can misuse it.

Let us know how to do it with detailed steps. May be ill give it a try and see.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 3:52 PM
  • Well, we should make one person responsible for registering with a free host and installing the CMS. That person should have previous experience with CMS and should be able to guide the rest. That person can then share the details of all the cms and the login information. This will be very interactive and very helpful in learning something new. What do you guys think?
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 4:07 PM
  • Thatz a really great idea and i dont mind keeping a server, but the problem is, that to keep the server running, u need to have a static ID and i dont have one.. I m thinking of preparing a website for my college which can be maintaided easily.. so I m trying to learn CMS, because in future it will be very easy to maintain it...

So, anyone has a static ID ???
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 4:46 PM
  • @Varun, lets experiment with a free host like 007ihost.com first. Once we are familiar with the system,we transfer to a static ID

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 4:50 PM
  • By static ID you mean static IP address  ? you can try www.no-ip.org and register there, its free. And download the updating client from there, so that it can keep updating the host with your new IP addresses whenever it changes.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 5:06 PM
  • sorry, buddy, i ment static IP Address.. but still converting it using no-ip.org will be costly as we have to work on a system, and changing the ip address again again will lead to breach in the security and will create a lot of loop holes.. the best is to install it locally and run it from localhost... I m doing the same thing.. we can all do lots of testing on it and share it here.. if you need any help in how to run it locally, i will help you out.. one of my friend helped me to run it.... running it locally is a good option...
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 5:29 PM
  • @adnan, I would have really loved to do the test on it, but rite now i m trying to learn Drupal, and it will be more than enough for me to grasp with the study load.. sorry buddy, but after i m over with drupal i will join you guys in it... so you all continue...
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 5:34 PM
  • Great news.. 4th quiz anounced.. check your mails for details...
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 5:36 PM
  • @Varun, i need your help. I want to access my system from the internet. I tried using no-ip.com, but couldnt succeed. I have an airtel connection and a beetel 220bx modem. I also downloaded the client. Whenever i go to my domain(registered with no-ip), i am redirected to my dsl login page.

My basic need is to access my files from the internet remotely and also host my website. Please advice....

Thursday, May 17, 2007 1:45 AM
  • Well Adnan, I m not so good in networks, I hv the knowledge from internet and talks only... but still i will try and also ask my seniors to sort out ur problem....

One more thing.. I m not sure that no-ip works so well.. are you able to access from any other computer ????
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 3:20 AM

• HI Friends ,

“It’s not just another techfest”

Techniche - The very name envokes an inexplicable enthusiasm. This is not
    just a techfest. It’s your chance to cave out a niche for yourself in the
    technical sphere. Our on the spot module provides you the chance to
    experience Techniche. The plethora of events being organized are meant to
    appeal to not just your average geek, but to the best and the brightest in
    every individual. Be a part of Techniche 2007, and satisfy all your
    scientific desires

For more information:
    Visit www.techniche.in

Have a Nice Day

Regards ,
    MoHaN
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 3:31 AM
  • Guys i am an expert in networking Wink

Ok adnan, i know whats the problem. The reason why you are getting your dsl modem's login page from external of your network is because the IP address corresponding to the no-ip host is of your modem's (router's) and not your PC. Your PC has a local IP address, which cannot be directly accessed from outside network.

The solution is to forward the port number 80 from the router's main page to your PC's port 80. In that case any connection made to no-ip on port 80 (i.e. HTTP) it will be forwarded to your PC. and hence you can access Smile

If you still have problems, let me know.
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 6:15 AM
  • Thanks for the advice Harshil. Do i need to set up a server like apache or iis to access my files on the system from the internet? Because i had already done what you adviced and it still directs me to the dsl login page.
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 7:26 AM
  • yes my friend, you will require some HTTP server running at port 80 on your local PC.
    I think IIS is easier to install, but apache is better Smile

If you are going to use microsoft products for the websites , then use iis, else apache will work just fine Smile
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 7:31 AM
  • This is driving me nuts. I re-checked my settings for IIS. It is configured at my local IP with port 80. Yet still when i try my domain (from no-ip) i still get the dsl page. How am i supposed to use Remote desktop to access my files???
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 8:21 AM
  • Hi guys, i join you for chat....
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 1:13 PM
  • Hey Adnan, please specify what you want to access from outside your computer?

whether its HTTP (web server) or Remote Desktop (sharing of the desktop), or any other service. Each and every service requires different ports to be forwarded, so first let me know which service you want to access from outside the network, then may be i can tell you which port you need to forward from your routers admin page.
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 1:24 PM
  • @Adnan - if you want more info about how to port forward, then i suggest you to see this site
    http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Beetel/220BX/220BXindex.htm

when you open that page, you will see the list of softwares that you want to configure for port forwarding along with the default port for each of the softwares listed there. You can select the software, and it will show you along with screenshots howto set it up.

If you still have any doubts, you can always let me know Wink
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 1:28 PM
  • Thanks Harshil,

I want to access HTTP and Remote desktop. Thats why i configured my router to forward both ports 80 and 3389 to my ip. I did everything i could. Maybe no-ip isnt a good option for me, and i should try my luck with an alternative. Hope the one which works is free...

Thursday, May 17, 2007 4:20 PM
  • Most of the things are going bouncer to me because i hv still not studied about ports and networks.. My friend had helped me setup Drupal and tought me how to set it up.. now he left the ground to me, its a new thing to learn and dosent require so much knowledge..

Thursday, May 17, 2007 5:40 PM
  • Hey man you can never learn networking frmo the theory. I knew all the networking when i was in 12th Stick out tongue. I have studied computer-networks, but still i have not found anything that could teach the practical settings about the port forwarding etc etc.

@Adnan - Did you update the dns in the no-ip website ? of not then you need to do, you can download the "Dynamic DNS update client" from  http://www.no-ip.com/downloads.php

Install that and make it start as a service, so that it will start whenever your pc boots. It will also keep updating the IP address in the no-ip site database, so that your host will point to the latest IP address.

I think you need to update the IP address, so that it can point it properly to your computer.
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 6:14 PM
  • Sorry guys for this *** post. But i wanted to be the one who posted the 100th post in this thread Smile
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 6:15 PM
  • Thanks Harshil, again re-tried everything, but no success. Anyway, i am trying out different alternatives, will let you know, which works out...
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 6:28 PM
  • I have one more idea that you can check. try turning of any firewall that you are using, or add the softwares as an exception in your firewall settings.
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 6:51 PM
  • Ok. will try it buddy....
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 8:26 PM

Same here :-)
    Friday, May 18, 2007 11:02 AM
  • After all the hard work, no success. So i searched for alternatives and found http://www.logmein.com . The website is cool, and allows you to acces your system from anywhere on the internet, by using thier client on the host machine. If anybody was looking for a similar solution and has any doubts, please feel free to ask.

Hopefully, i will be able to log into my own computer wothout the use of a service like logmein. But i guess i need to learn more about networking. Till then free softwares RULE!!!

Friday, May 18, 2007 11:15 AM
  • adnan, here are a few

www.gotomypc.com

www.pcanywhere.com

hope this helps...

Friday, May 18, 2007 11:31 AM
  • Ya That Was Usefull .......
    Friday, May 18, 2007 11:59 AM
  • Thanks buddy. Any service which is free. I am very impressed with the festures of pcanywhere. Nice s/w. Good suggestion.
    Friday, May 18, 2007 12:17 PM
  • Hi guys ...... check this site .....

This site is awesome ....

http://www.imagechef.com

Regards
    MoHaN
    Friday, May 18, 2007 12:59 PM
  • But Adnan, I was not able to understand the use of trying to access your own computer from your own computer... watz the logic of doing this or what can you derive from it???
    Friday, May 18, 2007 3:06 PM
  • ya Varun is exactly right...this is the reason for having official forums...
    Friday, May 18, 2007 3:50 PM
  •  @Varun, i want to access my system from the internet. It usually happens, that when i am working on a project somewhere else, i realise i forgot a file and cant continue my work. To stop this from happening i wanted to access my system remotely and transfer the files, whenever necessay.
    Friday, May 18, 2007 5:54 PM
  • Alright, now i understand.. but have you tried Gmail drive.. you can use it to save and share files easily.. try it out.. this is what i do to transfer files from my college lab and home.. but now i have a pen drive, so work on it, but still gmail drive is a good option..
    Friday, May 18, 2007 6:25 PM
  • Yeah i am using it. Good suggestion....
    Friday, May 18, 2007 7:52 PM
  • Hey if you want to access the files and download/upload them, why waste the bandwidth and access the whole desktop. Why not just install a ftp server instead ? its the best option for transferring of the files.

One good and popular ftp server is Serv-U, but its not available for free. I suggest you to get filezilla ftp server, its opensource and free, also its really easy to use and configure.

Its free available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/
    Filezilla is a ftp server as well as a ftp client, you can download the server and install it at your home. if you are allowed, then you can install the filezilla ftp client at your work place, and if you are not allowed, then you can still access your files on the ftp server from the web browsers. But you cannot upload files using the web browsers. To upload the files, you will require either a file upload HTTP / PHP/asp script or either a ftpclient. The ftp cilent is the best option in my opinion.
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 4:36 PM
  • Thats a cool option Harshil.

But my requirement is that, i work on the move all the time. I am not aware beforehand what files i may need throughout the day. Also i might waste lot of time just uploading all the files unnecessarily and then realise the file i need isnt uploaded. Thats why ftp and google drive and even  the pen drive cannot be a solution for me.

Thats why i wanted to remotely acess my system so that i can transfer the files on demand.

Saturday, May 19, 2007 10:03 PM
  • I think even after you login through remote Desktopn, you will see the files in the explorer. and then you will have to copy and paste it if you share the drives while doing remote desktop.

But the same list of files you can see with the use of ftp server Smile you just need to connect to the ftp server, and it will show you an entire list of files that you have mapped in your ftp server.

Anyways, its your choice what you want to use Smile
    Sunday, May 20, 2007 5:17 AM
  • Guys i want to ask something.. recently i visited some of the webcasts.. But it was not so clear, the voice was barely audible and constant, where as when i saw an offline webcast, i.e. prerecorded one, it was working great...

so is there any setting in the live meeting that i have to do?? becasue unless that i cannot attend the webcasts, because i cannot understand what they are saying over there...
    Sunday, May 20, 2007 9:25 AM
  • hi varun  , the live meeting is very nice defaultly ... Why Cant You Uninstall and Intall it again !..If you are not getting right , then there is a problem with your sound card ...

Regards
    MohaN
    Sunday, May 20, 2007 9:44 AM
  • I am able to hear it properly.

First time when live meeting starts, i think it downloads the entire ppt show, and/documents to a temporary folder. May be as you have less bw, its taking time to download them. It takes about 0.5 to 2 minutes at my end to load them. After that, i am able to hear the sound and the content very clearly.

Varun i think it might be some bandwidth issue at your end.
    Sunday, May 20, 2007 10:47 AM
  • Guys, When i try to see live webcast which has already happened before, i mean there are some webcasts which can be seen afterwards and you dont have to download them,,, you can run them live.. at that time there is no such issue and it works perfectly...

but at the time of live meeting.. i have this problem.. also i noticed that the bandwith is not falling short because the bits being downloaded are too less compared to the bandwith i m allowed...

Is there any other setting... I will try to reinstall...
    Sunday, May 20, 2007 11:50 AM
  • Even i was experiencing the same problem in the last AJAX webcast. I dont think it has anything to do with bandwidth or sound card. Cos i have a 256 kbps connection, and i never encountered a problem while playing my songs.

I think there was problem from the presenter side. Cos i remember in the last session, the evangelist was apologising for the bad voice and display...

Sunday, May 20, 2007 1:13 PM
  • I wasn't able to attend the AJAX webcast. I think it might be a problem at their end.
    Sunday, May 20, 2007 1:33 PM
  • even i was not able to attend the webcasts guys, i really wanted to attend the one on silverlight and the other on ajax.....well would have to see it offline i guess....

Monday, May 21, 2007 11:14 AM
  • the data consumption wud be around 400-500MB...also thers no point in giving points for those webcasts...v r students and they have their webcasts lined up at around some 2:00 - 5:00 PM how come we will be able to watch them...
    Monday, May 21, 2007 12:34 PM

The constant datastream for the audio of that webcast is between 1.2kBps - 2kBps. I think youc an very well calculate it how much mb will it take for 2 hours webcast Smile that makes around less than 8MB per hour + the data consumed in showing the slideshows, and application screenshots. I think they in total wont be more than 3-4 MB.

Monday, May 21, 2007 2:03 PM
  •  Jayakumar_J_8dc269 wrote:
    the data consumption wud be around 400-500MB...also thers no point in giving points for those webcasts...v r students and they have their webcasts lined up at around some 2:00 - 5:00 PM how come we will be able to watch them...

Thereis no wat it will consume 400-500MB data man. I dont know from where you made this calculation. i have attended many webcasts, so i know ow much data is consumed.
    Monday, May 21, 2007 2:05 PM
  • But i have found that viewing off line webcasts is more convineient than current running.. offline are working fine with me, but current webcasts are like the faulted tape recorder....
    Monday, May 21, 2007 3:43 PM
  • Offline webcasts have better quality than the live ones. But it will not contribute to the ponits. But who cares, we are getting to learn so much from there, 10 points just dont matter much . Its always good to get those 10 points after logging in the webcasts, and then viewing the offline after the live is over Smile
    In that way you can get both the 10 points, and the webcast Wink
    Monday, May 21, 2007 5:04 PM
  • Part from getting the 10 points for the webcasts, you also get a chance to win MS goodies by answering a few questions about the webcast once it is over...

More prizes. YIPPEE!!!

Monday, May 21, 2007 5:44 PM
  • Yes m8, we can also win ms goodies. But i dont think i would do any good there, i tried answering lots of webcasts earlier, but no goodies i got Stick out tongue i think my luck is bad. So i just dont want to try it anymore. i dont think even a single rockstar have got any goodie from answering the question.
    Monday, May 21, 2007 6:07 PM

The constant datastream for the audio of that webcast is between 1.2kBps - 2kBps. I think youc an very well calculate it how much mb will it take for 2 hours webcast that makes around less than 8MB per hour + the data consumed in showing the slideshows, and application screenshots. I think they in total wont be more than 3-4 MB.

oh thats surprising and exciting, because everything gets rounded up to 30-40 megs for the entire webcast..thats ok.....

But to tell you something, i attended a webcast and i checked the datausage provided by bsnl...it totalled up to 100 megs for the entire webcast...and not to forget, i did not do much activities during the webcast, may be a few email pages and a couple of rockstars announcements ....

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 1:24 PM
  • @Harshil, i dont think the results for the webcasts for this year have been announced till now. I have also attended and answered many questions for the webcasts. I guess we will just have to wait and hope for the best. Good luck!!!
    Tuesday, May 22, 2007 1:47 PM
  • @Anoop - I have never got that much data usage for the webcast. since 2 days, there are being 2 webcasts daily, and even combined both of them, the total data transfer is no more than 70MB

@Adnan - I dont know when will the results of the webcasts answers will be declared. I have searched the faqs, and found nothing about it. So i thought they would be giving out the results as soon as a series of webcast of a given topic complete. But as i didn't get any response from MS whether i won or lost, i just dont care to give the answers now Stick out tongue
    Tuesday, May 22, 2007 2:28 PM
    @Anoop - I have never got that much data usage for the webcast. since 2 days, there are being 2 webcasts daily, and even combined both of them, the total data transfer is no more than 70MB

ummm now this is surprising....do all the webcasts have the same datatransfer rate?

Harshil, start a new thread yaar, its 10 pages now.....it difficult to navigate yaar....

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 1:55 PM
  • Hey guys, check out the new contest from Microsoft with exciting prizes like XBox 360, usb players , microsoft t-shirts and other goodies. Check out this link

http://www.developerknowledgedrive.com/register.aspx?RFID=346038

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 2:16 PM
  • Thanks adnan, i have signed up under you Smile.

I have one problem in that contest, i referred two friends, they signed up with the link provided to them in the referral mail, still i haven't got points for the same. when are the points updated ?
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 4:21 PM
  • Ok guys, upon your request i am starting a new thread, as this thread has grown to large, and its becoming hard to navigate through pages.

I request all of you guys to continue in the following thread.
    Here is the link for the continuation of this thread.

Guys Chat Here - Part-II
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 4:26 PM
  • Yup, I registered too..
    but this is no competition.. its only newsletter registration...
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 4:35 PM