Live Writer Technical Preview Spelling RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the new Technical Preview. Is there some kind of workaround to have the german language for the spelling check?
    And is it possible to "downgrade" to the non Technical Preview version?

Greetings
    Monday, July 14, 2008 8:27 PM

All replies

• Flieger28,

We ship German dictionary only with the German build of Writer. Please let us know if you have a German build, but no German spell checker.

Also, you can always uninstall the Tech Preview of Live Writer and install the V1 from http://writer.live.com. Are there specific issues that prompt you to uninstall the Tech Preview?

-Pooja
    Monday, July 14, 2008 9:33 PM
  • I Think the preview is only available in english? So i think there is no german spell checking.
    No there is no reason to uninstall at the moment.
    Monday, July 14, 2008 10:07 PM
  • Thats right. Sorry we only have English dictionary support for the Tech Preview, but we are already working towards adding more languages to our spell checker.
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 6:10 PM
  • From my point of view it would be nice if you could add support for the format of this free Swedish dictionary, which is also available for Firefox 3 and OpenOffice. The important thing here is that whatever the solution, it must be regularly updated. And that users can easily add their own dictionaries if they feel so inclined.

Currently I'm running a Swedish dictionary by replacing the Canadian English support. But anyway ...

For Swedish to work properly, there would have to be support for true compound words, and hyphens to the full extent. It is in fact extremely common in Swedish to compound words without hyphen and currently WLW seems to fail at this. Of course, as noted above, so does OpenOffice and Firefox ...

I have also previously requested a thesaurus (I used to blog from Word, which had this one redeeming feature). And a per blog language setting for those of use with several blogs in several languages.
    • Edited by bjornhallberg Friday, July 18, 2008 10:46 AM no reason
    Friday, July 18, 2008 10:44 AM
  • This is something I don't understand: obviously a German dictionary is available and comes with the German version of WLW. Why isn't it possible to use that dictionary as an additional one also for the English version of WLW ? I prefer to use the English version but would just love to be able to spell check my German writings.

Regards .... Axel Magard
    • Proposed as answer by Folini Wednesday, October 1, 2008 8:16 PM
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 7:43 AM
  • Hi,
    I found a way to solve the problem (al least it works for italian dictionary).
    I have WLW 14.0.5025.904 under Vista.
    In C:\Users\<my user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Proof\prf0010\7 (the last two directories may change for different locale) copy the 3 files (.lex .dll .ini).
    For italian the name is mssp7it .
    Maybe not all are necessary... I didn't investigate!

Paste into C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\Dictionaries.

Restart WLW ...now in Tools->Options->Spelling you should see a new entry (Italian in my case).

Hope this helps
    Carlo
    • Edited by Folini Wednesday, October 1, 2008 8:26 PM
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 8:26 PM
  • Alex, you could install the German version, but then edit your WLW program shortcut to the following:

WindowsLiveWriter.exe /culture:en-us

Note that this only works for en-us, you can't go from German to Spanish UI using this method, for example (at least not without some additional steps!).
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 11:16 PM