Dashboard Shows Client "Online" Even Though It Is Turned Off RRS feed

• Question

• One of my 4 clients continues to show up in the Dashboard with status "Online" after I shut it down. The client goes thru a normal shutdown. No errors are logged in the event log to show otherwise.

If I reboot the WHS that client will appear with the status of "Offline".

I am not 100% sure but I believe this started happening after I installed the "Computer Monitoring Error" hotfix which updated the connector on all clients.

The client in question is running Windows 7 Home Premium SP-1. The Dashboard version is 6.1.8800.16396.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sunday, July 8, 2012 2:42 PM

All replies

• How long have you waited to see if it goes "Off-line after shutdown of the client?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, July 8, 2012 4:32 PM
  • Longest I waited was about 24 hours.

I also restarted that client a few hours after the shutdown and then shut it down again. The status did not change. Still showed "Online".

Sunday, July 8, 2012 5:33 PM
  • You can check if the solution in the following thread helps:

WHS 2011 Client Appears Offline When Online

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/whs2011/thread/4bbfeb04-739c-45ba-8c74-494fe2b36427

Sean Zhu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, July 16, 2012 6:05 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Fuzzy John Monday, July 16, 2012 7:21 AM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 4:56 AM
  • That thread did not provide any help. Renaming the client computer did not correct the situation.

Monday, July 16, 2012 11:53 AM
  • The first post in the thread listed above also has a link to another thread. From your post above, it is not clear if you've also read through that thread or not. Although not marked as an answer, one of the posts in that thread suggests to check the "Windows Server Health Service" on the client computer, and start it if necessary.

Regards,

Sven

Monday, July 16, 2012 12:13 PM
  • I did not specifically check the Windows Server Health Service on the client computer in question because it seems that the solution does not apply to my case. My client shows up as "Online" even though I turn it off. Alerts for this client are coming up normally and update normally. From the Dashboard point of view everything is normal with this client other than the fact that it is not marked as "Offline" when I turn it OFF.

Since the alerts for updates that need to be installed, for missed or failed backups and others are coming up normally I figure that the Windows Health Service is running.

But, to cover all grounds, I'll make sure to check that service.

• Edited by Fuzzy John Monday, July 16, 2012 4:14 PM
    Monday, July 16, 2012 1:42 PM